Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CARRiON

Games that failed the jump to 3D

Swine & Roses said:

Yeah, those 3D Castlevanias are a disgrace.. I wouldn't say unplayable, but they've all had serious problems.
Castlevania 64 had framerate and camera issues and the PS2 games had downright boring level design.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow was actually one of the best games I've ever played. Was incredibly well done. The older 3D castlevania games did suck (the n64 one in particular), but the PC/ps3/xbox 360 "Lords Of Shadow" is literally a insta-classic. Give it a try if you have not yet already, can grab the ultimate edition on steam.

For the sake of this argument, 2.5D will be grouped under 3D, because the games allow the player to take advantage of a 3D space. Duke Nukem is an example of a game series that does fine with it as an FPS (at least at first), but as a third person shooter it tends to fail funny enough. I'd say all in all most of Duke Nukem's 3D games are probably going to be universally agreed as bad or fall on a love it or hate it cult status.

Blood doesn't really count, it started out as a 3D game and the sequel was a more true 3D game, although not a very good one.

Castlevania is one of my gaming loves and the early 3D Castlevania games all failed pretty badly, however I bought Lords of Shadow on Steam sale because I've heard good things about it so we'll see. Fingers crossed.

Stronghold was a fantastic strategy game, yes. I actually forgot about the third one. Maybe my mind blocked it out.

The only 3D worms I enjoy are the ones that stick to a 2D playing space. I tried a 3D one once and found it abysmal.

Was there a Street Fighter that embraced a 3D fighting space? MK especially are great examples of games that didn't manage to do it very well and went back to a strict 2D space and became loved once again. I'd rank SF4 as one of the best fighting games.

I remember One Must Fall! Another Epic Games game! Wow I totally forgot it had a sequel!

Fade to Black was clunky and awful, and Syndicate would also count despite the complete genre shift, however Satellite Reign is supposed to be a spiritual successor and it's doing well so that might be a win!

Warcraft didn't fail going to 3D, it sold incredibly well, SimCity as well. I'm guessing these are very personal choices.

The only Gabriel Knight is the first one. It's the only one you need.

I hear Bomberman, Contra and Metal Slug all utterly failed going to 3D. Anybody play them?

Mortal Kombat.

MK4 wasn't terrible, but the Special Forces game was abysmal, and Deadly Alliance was janky, too difficult, and fighting felt so incredibly stiff. Shaolin Monks was fairly bland, too. Luckily Deception managed to make things better by smoothing out the combat system a ton.

Swine & Roses said:

After Duke3D, there was Duke Nukem: Time to Kill, which wasn't bad at all.
Is it different? Yes. Is it a Tomb Raider ripoff? Maybe. But it's not a bad game.

There was also Zero Hour for the N64 which i thought was great and better than Time to Kill.
The main issue was that you couldn't save during a level and some of the levels were huge but if you can get past that its fantastic.
Fade to Black has terrible controls but it still had a pretty sweet atmosphere all told.

CARRiON said:

I hear Bomberman, Contra and Metal Slug all utterly failed going to 3D. Anybody play them?

I played Metal Slug 3D and i don't think it was bad, i kinda enjoyed it, the controls though, take some time to get used to, in particular when using the Metal Slug, but it's an enjoyable game once you get used to the controls.

fraggle said:

Super Mario Bros.

Fight me.

Mario 64 was really badass when I first played it, but as I got older I found it lost much of its appeal. There are a couple modern 3D ones that use a limited playing field which more closely represents the original games and I found those entries to be a good way to do 3D.

SNK's "Metal Slug" series.

I think the one 3d game the series had was for the Playstation, if I'm not mistaken.

I've honestly never owned a Nintendo console in my life or played any major Nintendo games like Mario 64, but from my understanding, at least at the time, Mario 64 was one of the few 3D platformers that came out and did it well. I always hear people singing the praises of Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time until recently.

Have the games not aged well? Technically I don't think Mario 64 failed since it sold so well and was beloved by many, but again, IDK since I never played it.

Pac-Man. I remember trying out Pac-Man 3D on a demo disc on PS2 when Soul Calibur 3 was new. That game sucked.

fraggle said:

Super Mario Bros.

Fight me.

I'll take the 2D Mario (and Zelda) games over their 3D successors any day. I tried to like the 3D games... but it just doesn't work out for me. It's kind of weird since I do enjoy the 3D Metroid games.

Swine & Roses said:

After Duke3D, there was Duke Nukem: Time to Kill, which wasn't bad at all.
Is it different? Yes. Is it a Tomb Raider ripoff? Maybe. But it's not a bad game.

This guy gets it.

Land of The babes and Zero Hour was also good as well as Manhattan Project.

Well, at least I thought so.

-

I guess I could say a shit game was Sonic 3D Blast, what a pile of wank but is that thing even 3d?

Another one (if we ain't counting isometric 2.5 as 3D at least, if we are then ignore) is Fallout. I'm not talking about 3, I'm talking about Fallout Brotherhood of Steel (Not to be confused with Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel), what the actual fuck is any of that?

I guess, judging by reception from the community, Oddworld counts too with Munch's Odysse (mind you, I liked it a lot myself although I found the environments way too generic forest area looking compared to the originals abstract alien landscapes).

CARRiON said:

The only Gabriel Knight is the first one. It's the only one you need.

???

I quite liked Gabriel Knight 2, as did many other people (even back in the day), and I think that is quite unfair, seeing as it was one of Sierra's last adventure games. Now, Kings Quest 8 is another story...

CARRiON said:

I've honestly never owned a Nintendo console in my life or played any major Nintendo games like Mario 64, but from my understanding, at least at the time, Mario 64 was one of the few 3D platformers that came out and did it well. I always hear people singing the praises of Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time until recently.

Have the games not aged well? Technically I don't think Mario 64 failed since it sold so well and was beloved by many, but again, IDK since I never played it.

I personally think the N64 Zelda games aged worse than Mario 64 did, but they're all still definitely playable. Mario Sunshine fixed a lot of the technical imperfections present in Mario 64, but it sold a lot less so it's hard to say. From my perspective though, the 2D ones are overall better than the 3D ones, but both series made the transition fairly well, unlike many of the other bombs mentioned in this thread.

I actually find only the n64 zelda games to be the playable 3d ones, that kept my attention at least. Ocerena of time was and still is a very good game, blows twat princess out and fart waker out of the water for sure. Got to agree with Doomkid as I liked the 2d zelda games far more, but even those I'v a hard time replaying except for 1 and 2.

Chu said:

Gabriel Knight 3...I tried really, REALLY hard, for many years...I just can't. :(

I actually really liked GK3. The UI was rather clunky, but the 3D experience was handled very well and immersed me into the game's world, which felt wonderfully knit together and believable. If anything, GK3's biggest flaw is the terrible moustache puzzle, which is 150% vintage Sierra bullshit. Excuse me, gotta go strangle a few puppies.

Now. Broken Sword 3, that was a disastrous switch to 3D. General audience seems to hate 4 the most, but apart from some classic p&c twattery, I found myself enjoying the game quite a lot. 3 on the other hand had a fairly weak plot, poorly connected world and impossibly abysmal keyb-only UI. And to compensate for the lack of p&c puzzles, we got Sokoban sections. Every time I saw crates I went "oh fuck off, not again". Miserable game.

And yet, it was still better than Simon 3 and MI4. But I feel dirty for even mentioning those.

Quast said:

Warcraft 3 is an almost perfect example of a game going 3d and succeeding in almost every metric. How did it fail?

Simcity 4 though, while a great game imo, it certainly has more than it's fair share of issues.

Though it probably had nothing to do with 3D, WC3 was unplayable for me. It was my first major experience being patronized and talked down to by a video game. Like it was dumbed down enough that the minimum IQ was 40 points lower than WC2. And don't get me started on the absolute trainwreck that was the voice acting.

SC4 failed because you almost needed to be an expert on the game before you could actually play the game. At least with 2 and 3, if you didn't know what you were doing you could at least fudge along with a crappy little town. SC4 was like performing 3 or 4 different balancing acts at once, and when you slipped up you had to start over from scratch.

And holy shit, Diablo 3. I can't believe I didn't think of that before.

King's Quest: Mask of Eternity most definitely, it winded up being the worst game in the King's Quest series.

I know I'm gonna get shit for this, but Ocarina of Time was a big failure in my eyes. I didn't like it at all. I liked the Metroid 3D way better.

Chu said:

I quite liked Gabriel Knight 2, as did many other people (even back in the day), and I think that is quite unfair, seeing as it was one of Sierra's last adventure games...

Big fan of GK2, something about it just worked. I feel like it was the last (only?) really good game of the FMV era.

Diablo 3 was a real shame the way it turned out, in my humble opinion. The 3D thing was all right, just a sign of the times, they had to go with the flow on that. Then they designed everything else poorly and turned it into some kind of WoW thing. And all the rich strategy of Diablo items was really dumbed down into "damage per second". Not to mention your character was defined by your primary stat. Gear was considered below average if it didn't boost your primary stat. Then the health pickups just popping out of dead enemies... You're supposed to drink potions, not run over glowy things to heal instantly. The whole potion thing was about careful judgment and visual calibration based on the size of your health globe. All that was really diluted they wanted a faster-paced game. And all the characters just did super power attacks by default. The gritty hack and slash was gone. By level 5, your character was spraying rainbow colors all over the battlefield

^ I think that's because the average type of gamer went from "video game nerd" to "casual", and Blizzard obviously went for the casual gameplay, since that means more money.

And that's all fine to me, IF there would be an option to disable all the "here let me hold your hands" things.

Blizzard could've simply just made an optional lower difficulty setting instead of just making it easy for every type of gamer.

Avoozl said:

Blizzard could've simply just made an optional lower difficulty setting instead of just making it easy for every type of gamer.

Well, I'm not going to say they shouldn't have, however it would be better to have a dynamically scaling game rather than two different difficulties, because you may end up with the "real deal" and "the kindergarten".

But that aside I've turned my back on Blizzard since World of Warcraft came out, and I don't regret one damn thing. If want something that is somewhat in line with the former Diablo2 experience I simply play "Path of Exile".

Use3D said:

Big fan of GK2, something about it just worked. I feel like it was the last (only?) really good game of the FMV era.

Wing Commander and Command & Conquer are also good games with lots of FMV.