Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureSlime

Most recent movie you saw

10 hours ago, geo said:

Lastly, damn Netflix for having thumbs up or thumbs down. I'm so middle of the road on this one. If I didn't like it I would have turned it off... but I can't recommend it unless you want to take a visit to Cameo City in the 90s. So is that a thumbs up or thumbs down?

Unless they've change the entire point of their ratings system, the rating you give it will only apply to your own recommendations. If you sat through it, you enjoyed it on some level, so give it a thumbs up. You may get a bunch of crap being recommended to you, but that happened with the star system anyway. I really don't look at Netflix's recommendations, it seems they're wrong about what I would like more than half the time. Just because I "loved" a movie with Ben Stiller playing a minor role doesn't mean that I would "love" every movie with him in it... quite the contrary.

WALL-E was a good time. It's been a long while since I watched a proper Disney movie and I'm glad I picked this one. I liked how they built so much characterization into such little dialogue in the first half of the movie, but the second half really shines with the supporting cast, especially the captain.

1 hour ago, dethtoll said:

WALL-E was a good time. It's been a long while since I watched a proper Disney movie and I'm glad I picked this one. I liked how they built so much characterization into such little dialogue in the first half of the movie, but the second half really shines with the supporting cast, especially the captain.

WALL-E is a great movie.  How can you not like that loveable robot?

5 hours ago, Jello said:

Unless they've change the entire point of their ratings system, the rating you give it will only apply to your own recommendations. If you sat through it, you enjoyed it on some level, so give it a thumbs up. You may get a bunch of crap being recommended to you, but that happened with the star system anyway. I really don't look at Netflix's recommendations, it seems they're wrong about what I would like more than half the time. Just because I "loved" a movie with Ben Stiller playing a minor role doesn't mean that I would "love" every movie with him in it... quite the contrary.

I assume my rating goes to other recommendations such as if I liked Sandy Wexler, the system might assume I like comedies, Adam Sandler, Jennefer Hudson or cameo city movies. I seem to five star everything with Nick Cage in it yet they will never recommend Nick Cage movies to me.

Speaking of Cameo City movies...

Tropical Thunder is the #1 movie recommended for me by Netflix... so I watched it... again last night. I had forgotten everything about it, so it was like watching it for the first time. The only thing I remembered was Tom Cruise is in it as a bald producer. Like many other comedies or Ben Stiller movies in general, its cameo city and star studded.

As a comedy, Tropical Thunder just doesn't make me laugh. I know like 40% of it is humorous to me, but that humor didn't translate into the act of laughing. I thought the same while watching Adam Sandler's Pixels. I thought it was a good movie, I enjoyed it yet I didn't laugh and its a comedy. Then I watched the National Lampoon's Vacation directly after it and laughed my ass off. Maybe I need a straight up comedy rather than an action comedy.

Anyway, Tropical Thunder was probably suggested to me with all the war movies I've seen and the comedies I've watched. I really have nothing to say about the movie. Its another movie that I have to ask... did I actually like it? Chances are if I'm on the fence about it, that means I didn't enjoy it.

Rarely go to cinema. But I watched Power Rangers last month. The movie was good and bad which is good. 

I remember watching Dog Soldiers on the Sci Fi channel many years ago. I was surprised at the quality of the film compared to most of the movies that they aired. I should give it another watch.

Ben-Hur...not that one....not that one either, which was just plain rubbish. No, the one I saw was the original silent movie from 1925. It was quite good, with the movie more or less the same plot as the 1959 one. It's also not nearly as long (2 hours, 23 minutes, which is still rather long). The movie seemed to have three visual modes, depending on the scene location: black and white for most of the movie, sepia at the beginning during the Hur house scenes, and full color for much of the opulent Roman scenes. The chariot race was good too, and no fancy Roman spy-chariot wheel blades. It didn't win any Oscars though, mostly because they didn't exist at that time, but I'd say it's as much of a classic of those days as Metropolis or Phantom of the Opera.

I watched old good Ghost in the Shell. Animated version covers more than movie adaptation.

Homeward Bound since they added it to USNFLX. And maybe other NFLX. I read The incredible Journey and watched the movie several times as a youngster. It was still fun to watch as an adult, especially once all the preamble was over and the animals were out in the wilderness. There's a part of me that still believes this all really happened to a group of two dogs and one cat.

Just finished watching The Descent. A 2005 film about a group of women exploring an undiscovered cave system which happens to be inhabited by carnivorous cave monsters. If you're claustrophobic this film will really get to you.

Leon the professional

saw it with deleted scenes  included 

Solid action apart,the unusual relationship between 12 year old girl and elderly man really stimulate my thinking patterns for days....really love the "Roots" idea..

Sand Castle from Netflix paints a picture of American soldiers in hostile Iran. The story would like to be about someone in the army who doesn't want to be there, but I think he was just a part of it. The average guy unfit to be among soldiers. The specific mission of the movie is noble cause, guard a water truck as it drives back and forth from a pumping station to a town unwilling to help them because they're American soldiers in their land. If any villagers help they will only be seen as the enemy and get killed for it. Between doing that, they were there to fix the obliterated pipes leading from the pumping station back to the town. They also confront the reality of how before the Americans being there, the Sunnis and Shiites would still be at war and how hopeless it is. When they fix the pipes they would only get destroyed again in an endless conflict.

It was captivating and thought provoking without star power or excessive action. Its more tense moments than frivolous killing or even winning. Like a lot of movies when things go good, they get so much worse. Any sort of happy ending is unsatisfactory and perhaps a realistic portrayal of the situation they were in.

Midnight Meat Train is something I watched before I knew who Bradley Cooper was. The first series of times I tried to watch it I fell asleep. A late night horror movie with a sinister, ill fated tone and its just a descent into a hole. Its about a photographer that discovers a serial killer that murders people on a subway train. The movie always stuck in my head perhaps because the name sells the movie. Plus a silent Vinnie Jones killing people with a hammer always sells a movie. Oh its even better watching it nearly a decade later. An intimidating man in a clean suit killing people.

There are a lot of digital effects in the movie for the cool factor. Cameras flying in and out of subway cars, blood splattering. Its one of those near bucket of blood movies in a sterile environment sort of thing. The subway train is clean and pristine as if someone had scrubbed and covered up evidence of a murder.

Oh speaking of films directed by Ryuhei Kitamura, I highly recommend checking out Versus. It's one of his earlier films, from 2000 I think. If you enjoy crazy over the top gore fests with bits of comedy like with Evil Dead 2 then watch Versus. It is a Japanese film & I'm pretty sure you could only watch it subtitled, but I could be wrong, it's been awhile since I last watched it.

Just finished watching the 2011 film The Inkeepers. The story is about two employees working at an old Inn that is about to shutdown business. They both share an interest in the so-called field of ghost hunting, they believe the place is haunted. This is surprisingly a chilling film that gave me goosebumps. The scariest scenes involve the undead bride. 

tumblr_mqodoaSiz51snnccgo1_500.gif

Ghost in the Shell, starring Scarlett Johansson. Wasn't good, wasn't bad. Stopped thinking about it immediately after it finished. Doesn't come close to the original. It's pretty to look at, but that's about it.

We watched The Secret Life of Pets yesterday. Like all good family movies it's entertaining for all ages.

I couldn't sleep last night so I watched a bunch of movies instead:

Star Trek Beyond felt more like an episode of a series than a movie. This seems like a natural progression, sort of foreshadowed by Kirk commenting in his logs that the journeys of the Enterprise  had become episodic. It didn't lack any big special effects or cool movie moments, but it didn't have quite the same "epic" feel as the first two, rather it seemed like the beginnings of fleshing out the rebooted Star Trek universe. A fitting continuation to the series.

Sand Castle. See geo's assessment above. An unwinnable, eternal war and the soldiers caught up in it. No real resolution to the conflict, perhaps just acceptance of the futility of it despite good intentions.

Deadpool, because duh. It was funny and actiony and awesome.

Phantom with Ed Harris and David Duchovney (the name is so generic I have to specify the stars). I've seen a lot of submarine and naval movies lately. This is perhaps the worst of them. I watched it for Ed and David. David is probably in it because Phantoms - what's the guy from X-Files doing? I can't imagine a lesser name than David in the role he had just because its opposing Ed, so you need someone of the name stature. I forgot what a limited actor Dave is especially when face to face with Ed Harris who shows so much conviction and emotion in his face alone. Ed had the good haunted character to sink himself into while there was little story for anyone else.

This cinema turns the traditional submarine movie on its head as its an American movie, with American actors about a Russian submarine. I was so confused until I realized oh yeah they're Russian, the names, text and story give it away, but I was too dense to read the story leading into the movie. Its an interesting broader picture to create a war with a single submarine, but the movie is about the struggle inside that submarine like a hostage or terrorist movie like Die Hard... in the confines of a submarine.

Escape from New York I have seen it before and Netflix had it as my new highest recommended movie. So I saw it again! It gets better as it goes on. I like the entire flawed logic of Manhattan is now a prison ala Arkham City. The President's plane has gone down in New York City and only Snake Plisken can rescue him! Its a good movie for its perpetual night and violence. Even when its daylight out... its still night. Rockstar should get the rights to the Snake Plisken series and do with it what they did with the Warriors.

John Carter did the music which didn't feel like it fit the movie. Like any traditional John Carter film, he had a non actor portraying a role whether its a wrestler as a star or a musician in a notable role. John is always willing to bridge that gap and get a wider audience.

Two day bad movie marathon with some friends:

Hackers - Hilariously outdated "INTERNET!" 90s movie that has everything from characters named Crash Override and Acid Burn to hackers swiping floppy discs while on skateboards, a massive "hacker cafe" complete arcade machines and skateboard ramps, horrible techno music, horrendous raver fashions, and a completely impossible to follow plot. This movie set a precedent for the following movies with MTV 90s style flash edit whenever someone is "hacking" something. Sub PS1 graphics rule the day in an attempt to show what is happening inside of a computer.

The Craft - Four Catholic school "teens" decide to hack nature with items purchased from a Wicca store or out of the back of a Green Egg magazine. The new girl at school wins her new goth friends over when she reveals she has scars on her wrists, and some random flying and witch stuff happens. Not good as a horror movie or teen drama, horrible 90s alternative soundtrack, terrible pre-Hot Topic fashions, cringing dialogue.

Blade - Not a lot bad to say about this one, other than there are again bad raver fashions, a vampire rave scene complete with a blood shower, terrible techno music, but it is saved by utterly relentless gore and brutality. Not bad enough to make fun of but nowhere near as good as From Dusk Til Dawn. Blade does indeed do some hacking in this movie complete with outdated computer graphics.

Queen of The Damned - Mindblowingly terrible Anne Rice adaptation that puts the vampire Lestat deep in the heart of the 90s nu-metal scene with an absolutely impossible to follow plot about a mummy queen wanting to crash his bands debut concert. This is easily the worst out of all four, with Lestat looking like The Crow, fucking absolutely shitty nu-metal music with the guy from Korn doing Lestat's vocals, terrible CGI vampire WOOOOOOSSH effects, the movie is only capable of rousing utter mockery or boredom. This really killed any potential for any more Vampire Chronicles movies of any clout, a massive dizzy fall off the cliff of quality when compared to the previous Interview With The Vampire. Is right up there with Batman & Robin in terms of sheer jaw dropping shittiness.

6 hours ago, varth said:

Two day bad movie marathon with some friends:

Hackers - Hilariously outdated "INTERNET!" 90s movie that has everything from characters named Crash Override and Acid Burn to hackers swiping floppy discs while on skateboards, a massive "hacker cafe" complete arcade machines and skateboard ramps, horrible techno music, horrendous raver fashions, and a completely impossible to follow plot. This movie set a precedent for the following movies with MTV 90s style flash edit whenever someone is "hacking" something. Sub PS1 graphics rule the day in an attempt to show what is happening inside of a computer.

The Craft - Four Catholic school "teens" decide to hack nature with items purchased from a Wicca store or out of the back of a Green Egg magazine. The new girl at school wins her new goth friends over when she reveals she has scars on her wrists, and some random flying and witch stuff happens. Not good as a horror movie or teen drama, horrible 90s alternative soundtrack, terrible pre-Hot Topic fashions, cringing dialogue.

Blade - Not a lot bad to say about this one, other than there are again bad raver fashions, a vampire rave scene complete with a blood shower, terrible techno music, but it is saved by utterly relentless gore and brutality. Not bad enough to make fun of but nowhere near as good as From Dusk Til Dawn. Blade does indeed do some hacking in this movie complete with outdated computer graphics.

Queen of The Damned - Mindblowingly terrible Anne Rice adaptation that puts the vampire Lestat deep in the heart of the 90s nu-metal scene with an absolutely impossible to follow plot about a mummy queen wanting to crash his bands debut concert. This is easily the worst out of all four, with Lestat looking like The Crow, fucking absolutely shitty nu-metal music with the guy from Korn doing Lestat's vocals, terrible CGI vampire WOOOOOOSSH effects, the movie is only capable of rousing utter mockery or boredom. This really killed any potential for any more Vampire Chronicles movies of any clout, a massive dizzy fall off the cliff of quality when compared to the previous Interview With The Vampire. Is right up there with Batman & Robin in terms of sheer jaw dropping shittiness.

So much late 90s early 00s.

just finished toy story all three parts...

part 3 is best imo

Edited by Zahid : i post accidentally earlier

7 hours ago, Zahid said:

E.T.

Higly overrated imo...ending was so illogical and kiddish to bear....

I was never a fan. The alien was creepy, annoying and ultimately more trouble than he was worth. The mother was also oblivious to the point of improbability. 

Chappie, a movie about a prototype AI robot that was basically "raised" by three gangster, originally meant to help them out on a heist. The robot grows and, well, becomes truly sentient, expressing feelings, making decisions, etc.

What I really loved about this movie is how Chappie' mind grows in a matter of days (and his body would die in a week), and realizes about life's cruelty. His feelings grows, calling the gangsters his "mommy" and "daddy".

His mind grows to the point where he becomes determined to find a way to extract consciousness and be able to transfer it to another body. I was expecting some cliché where where they show several days of Chappie working nonstop, but surprisingly, he did it pretty fast.

There's something so heartwarming about this movie. The gangster aren't that bad, more like desperate to get out of debt. Chappie is basically a child/teenager, if you think about it, throughout the majority of the movie (in a good way). The setting in this movie kinda reminds me of Robocop: a city full of crime.

Must watch this again. This is just beautiful.

Sausage Party- Movie was pretty funny I thought, nothing mind blowing, just a bit out of the norm. Towards the end it got quite strange.

Laura (1944)

Best noir i see uptill now....splendid story..

Dailouges written and delivered in certain classy way...

Clifton webb is a class apart....