Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureSlime

Most recent movie you saw

Watched a couple more over the weekend:

Breakheart Pass, featuring Charles Bronson, Richard Crenna, and Jill Ireland. Based on Alistair MacLean's novel, the movie is set in post-Civil War era California, and is full of intrigue and murder and action. Recommended for fans of Westerns.

Star Trek Beyond, featuring the usual suspects. While the general plot was exciting, and the special effects were spectacular (the nacelles on NCC-1701 actually breaking off? Wow!), the villain's motives were, how to put this kindly? Lame. If you're a Trekkie, you've probably already watched this movie. If you're a sci-fi movie fan, you may have considered watching it. Go ahead and do it; you'll probably enjoy it, but as for me, the ending left me somewhat disappointed.

The Void. It's in the same vein as movies like The Thing, In The Mouth of Madness, and Event Horizon, the kinds of movies that are rarely made anymore. 

I watched The Founder. One thing I really enjoyed about this movie is that it made me laugh quite a bit without really even trying to be funny. It was hard not to get swept up by Michael Keaton's performance as Ray Kroc, and hard not to admire the man's determination and business acumen, but on the other hand the guy was a slimeball who screwed the McDonald brothers out of 100 million dollars, and then ran their renamed burger restaurant out of business. A damn great movie overall. 

Star Trek Beyond, featuring the usual suspects. While the general plot was exciting, and the special effects were spectacular (the nacelles on NCC-1701 actually breaking off? Wow!), the villain's motives were, how to put this kindly? Lame. If you're a Trekkie, you've probably already watched this movie. If you're a sci-fi movie fan, you may have considered watching it. Go ahead and do it; you'll probably enjoy it, but as for me, the ending left me somewhat disappointed.

Thought it was absolutely terrible and by far one of the worst Star Trek movies (most of which are fairly good). Not a damn thing original, interesting or exciting about it. I'm baffled as to why critics enjoyed it so much. 

55 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Apologies for the unintended double post. Here's a puppy named Bingley to make up for it. 

69bcfb2ff82846fbc347c33988e0da42--so-cut

Thread suddenly morphs into the cute puppy thread!

I continued my lounge-about movie day.

Logan - Not a typical super-hero movie at all. Heart-wrenching and incredibly violent. I will miss these actors in their respective roles in the X-Men cast, but if they have to go, this is the performance to see them out with.

Here Alone - A zombie apocalypse movie that isn't about the zombies. Another tragic tale regarding the particulars of the protagonist's loss of her family and survival there-after.

Spoiler

She inadvertently exposes her infant daughter to the zombie infection and poisons her before the infection takes full effect. I forgot I was watching a fictional movie for a minute, I can't even imagine dealing with such circumstances.

BAD SANTA 2 is hilarious if you're into raunchy humor. I was surprised Kathy Bates could be such a scumbag and the fact that Santa could stand up to her acting talent.

VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA is something Netflix recommended to me as they know I have now seen every Star Trek and submarine movie.... so why not take me to a cinema before my time? I was amazed at how watchable this movie is. Usually movies before my time are just undesirable to me. This was the Star Trek (Original Series) of submarine movies. I dare say that it jump started Star Trek as they explore an alien, underwater world, they surface and the sky is red due to some ring of radiation. So its like a cross between Star Trek (TOS) and the Twilight Zone. The biggest budget sci-fi adventure by the standard of 55+ years ago is just laughable now. With that out of the way they do a great job of ratcheting up the tension as one man wants to save the earth by doing something, another wants to save it by not doing something. While its like there are 2 sides of do something or not do something, everyone seems to have their own agendas on how to accomplish either doing something or not doing something.

THE STANFORD EXPERIMENT is another retelling of the real life prison experiment where a psychologiest hires 18 college kids with 9 of them as prisoners and 9 of them as prison guards. I had seen the one with Forest Whitaker and Adrian Brody so I was expecting something worse. This is its own tale and just as good. Its another movie that amps up the tension as the 2 hours rolls on.

I opted to read up on the actual Stanford Prison Experiment and from the Wikipedia page it seems this movie is accurate enough. I'd say more than the other "The Experiment" movie.

Edited by geo

Uh so apparently I had HBO this whole time and didn't know it. So I watched LEGEND starring Tom Hardy as two gangster twins and Emily Browning as Frances Shea, based on a true story. Honestly give me anything with Tom Hardy, that man is dreamy <3 also I had fun with it

Mr. Holmes - I can never resist anything involving Sherlock Holmes or Ian McKellen.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit - Great viewing every time, a true classic. If for some reason you've never seen this movie, do yourself a favor and watch it as soon as possible.

Rogue One - It's Star Wars, 'nuff said. I wouldn't miss it.

My HBO trip has taken me to interesting places.

Carlito's Way - a bit overhyped, but it was a nice little nostalgic film. The scenes with the romantic interest quickly turned to overdramatic soap opera cheese and could've done without tbh, but I still enjoyed it for what it was. The ending was dull but Sean Penn being a crazy sheisty lawyer really pulled the whole film together and wouldn't be nearly as good without him. 7/10

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping - brought to us by comedy rap/pop group The Lonely Island, fronted by Andy Samburg of SNL fame, we can see here that movies aren't quite their strong point. They mostly rose to fame because Andy did "digital shorts" for Saturday Night Live and they had funny little music videos, but that was it. It's a bit harder to stomach them for like 90 minutes but they make it tolerable with the dynamic of having other celebs and musicians appearing in this mockumentary (oh and Tim Meadows as their manager because it's ALWAYS Tim Meadows). It's mostly feel good, and the real talent is in their music but again they've released better music in the past, however the OST has a whopping 30 tracks so I like what they've done. I especially enjoyed the Tyler The Creator clone known as Hunter The Hungry and the TMZ scenes with Will Arnett, Eric Andre, Chelsea Peretti, and Mike Birbiglia. So it's passable and I laughed. 5/10 (if you want something similar that's WAY BETTER than check out Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story instead)

Mike And Dave Need Wedding Dates - Uh, well...these are beautiful people to look at, at least (especially Aubrey Plaza). It made me laugh but yeah, it's nothing special at all, just another sex comedy. 2/10

Edited by Neurosis

ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY was a chore to watch for the first hour. It took me a while to realize it was a prequel. Half way through it dawned on me... this isn't Star Wars episode 7... there's another new Star Wars movie? Anyway, the movie in general reminded me of Prometheus with their locations and the fact that its a space / alien planet movie. The characters seem to be bland stereotypes with subtle characters rather than bold fun personalities. The robot comic relief was enjoyable. Gotta have some special effects sidekick. The second hour was much better because they stopped talking and filled the screen with pretty lights and special effects. Suddenly it was a great movie and tied into episode 4. Like Rogue-One was Star Wars episode 3.9.

DEATH RACE: 2050 is the fifth movie in a franchise and after looking it up this was the sequel to the 1970s film. Wow this was a blend of Hunger Games and Idiocracy if you can imagine it. Its filmed in a pseudo 60s / 70s look to give it a different feel. The cars are all fast forward footage which makes it laugh out loud to see. I dare say this movie is a comedy disguised as an action comedy. That's where the Idiocracy comes into play. The world is just dumb and resorts to watching the blood bath spectacle. Its intentionally so bad its good... but that buzz quickly wore off for me after 20 minutes and it became a terrible chore to watch. You can tell when I'm bored when I start looking up the movie rather than watching it.

CODE NAME: THE CLEANER came out when another movie "The Cleaner" came out that same year. This one is an action comedy, has Cedric the Entertainer and Lucy Liu. I'm no fan of Cedric or his character, but this muvie was entertaining. I was surprised how entertaining it was for something so low brow. Think awkward comedy with lingerie bubble bath fights wrapped in a spy drama as a man with no memory unravels a mystery. Somehow they managed to pull it off. I dread watching this movie but hey Netflix told me it was both the #1 action and #1 comedy for me to watch.

... uh while I'm hear, I might as well mention a movie I watched some months ago and never wrote about ...

SOME MOVIE WITH ZACK GAFARUNGALUS & OWEN WILSON was a crime drama comedy with Zack playing a dumbass who gets convinced to rob his own armored truck company by Owen Wilson. It was an entertaining comedy and made me laugh which is a success sign. Its based on a true story, making it all that much better. I think the thing that makes the movie better is the hick charm coupled with the downtrodden protagonist of everyone using him and he's too nice or gullible to realize it. Eventually he figures it out and mans up to take his money back.

I watched two movies yesterday.

The first one was an action movie called <<48 hours>>. The protagonists were Eddie Murphy and Nick Nolte.

Plot: A hard-nosed cop reluctantly teams up with a wise-cracking criminal temporarily paroled to him, in order to track down a killer.

It was alright I should say and I like watching action movies once in a while.

The second movie was a drama/ thriller (I am not exactly sure) from 2002, called <<One hour photo>>, starring Robin Williams. 

Plot: A mentally unstable photo developer begins to attack a middle-class family after his obsession with them becomes more sick and disturbing than any of them could imagine.

I never watch dramas, so I don't know why I watched this one. As a film, it was both sad and funny at times. The whole time you could listen to some depressing music playing on the background and the character seemed really believable as he was depicted there (lonely old guy with no family, devoting his whole life at his work), but from a point and after, he started acting like he was a total pedo weird guy (that was the point of the role actually). And at the end, the police arrest him for his crimes, he is questioned by an officer and the movie ends there. That was a lame ending though and I hate lame endings in movies.

It certainly was an interesting movie and a lot different than what I am used to seeing, but I am not going to watch another drama anytime soon.

19 minutes ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

One hour photo, starring Robin Williams.

Robin Williams transitioned from the comedy roles for which he is so well known, to drama - often portraying darker, tormented characters. A relatively obscure movie in which he appeared with Al Pacino and Hillary Swank is Insomnia. This is a great example of Robin Willams' acting range. A though-provoking movie in which he plays an android is Bicentennial Man, and he does an excellent job with the role. Of course, he is probably better known for his dramatic roles in Dead Poets Society and Good Will Hunting.

I actually saw Dead Poets Society in my English class at school and he played his role really well at that movie. 

And while watching One Hour Photo I was like: << Where have I seen this actor before?>> 

Now I know. Thanks for reminding me!

Same goes for What Dreams May Come, but I actually have a bone to pick with that movie despite Robin's acting. It's way too depressing and mean spirited of a movie, and I honestly can't sit through it.

I saw the 1990s movie version of "Last of the Mohicans."  Not a good adaptation of the novel at all.

Gosh it's been a while since I posted in here.

Here's what I've watched since seeing Logan:

Blazing Saddles After the gutwrencher that was Logan we needed some laughs. This fit the bill, and I'd been meaning to re-watch anyway.

Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders Giving Adam West a send-off with a movie that is nothing but pure joy.

Green Room And on the other end of the scale is this grim tale of pure, human evil, all too relevant in today's America.

The Dark Knight Rises Having watched the Nolan Batman films at a staggered pace over the last several months, we closed out the trilogy. I still think this is the weakest film of the three, but my view has softened on it somewhat and it remains a solid watch.

Independence Day 2 Enjoyable, dumb fun. Definitely geared towards people who liked the first movie, though.

Planet of the Apes Having never seen this classic before, I figured what better film on July 4th than this? I made the right choice, but man, it's a weird one.

Resident Evil: Damnation The 2nd CGI movie. Arguably a better movie than the first one (both in script and animation) but still definitely one of those "only for the fans" type deals.

Galaxy Quest More dumb fun. Alan Rickman, Sigourney Weaver, and Tim Allen really make this movie work, but the best part is knowing that while most of the Star Trek cast loved it, William Shatner did not because he didn't understand who Tim Allen's character was supposed to be. According to Shatner, there were no arrogant blowhards in the Star Trek cast. :D

Night of the Living Dead Giving George Romero a sendoff, this is still one of my favorite movies. Romero was one of my personal heroes and there's a bit of a gutwrench in thinking he's not going to be making films anymore.

Bonus: Biohazard: The Stage Yeah that's right, there's a Japanese stage production set in the Resident Evil/Biohazard universe, centering largely around Rebecca from RE1/0 and Chris. If you can keep up with the fast-moving story (and the subtitles on the Youtube version I watched weren't great) it's an entertaining watch for the mix of high production values in the staging but complex prop/costume designs such as a G mutation towards the end were laughable. Sonny Chiba is in it though.

16 hours ago, dethtoll said:

Gosh it's been a while since I posted in here.

Here's what I've watched since seeing Logan:

Blazing Saddles After the gutwrencher that was Logan we needed some laughs. This fit the bill, and I'd been meaning to re-watch anyway.

Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders Giving Adam West a send-off with a movie that is nothing but pure joy.

Green Room And on the other end of the scale is this grim tale of pure, human evil, all too relevant in today's America.

The Dark Knight Rises Having watched the Nolan Batman films at a staggered pace over the last several months, we closed out the trilogy. I still think this is the weakest film of the three, but my view has softened on it somewhat and it remains a solid watch.

Independence Day 2 Enjoyable, dumb fun. Definitely geared towards people who liked the first movie, though.

Planet of the Apes Having never seen this classic before, I figured what better film on July 4th than this? I made the right choice, but man, it's a weird one.

Resident Evil: Damnation The 2nd CGI movie. Arguably a better movie than the first one (both in script and animation) but still definitely one of those "only for the fans" type deals.

Galaxy Quest More dumb fun. Alan Rickman, Sigourney Weaver, and Tim Allen really make this movie work, but the best part is knowing that while most of the Star Trek cast loved it, William Shatner did not because he didn't understand who Tim Allen's character was supposed to be. According to Shatner, there were no arrogant blowhards in the Star Trek cast. :D

Night of the Living Dead Giving George Romero a sendoff, this is still one of my favorite movies. Romero was one of my personal heroes and there's a bit of a gutwrench in thinking he's not going to be making films anymore.

Bonus: Biohazard: The Stage Yeah that's right, there's a Japanese stage production set in the Resident Evil/Biohazard universe, centering largely around Rebecca from RE1/0 and Chris. If you can keep up with the fast-moving story (and the subtitles on the Youtube version I watched weren't great) it's an entertaining watch for the mix of high production values in the staging but complex prop/costume designs such as a G mutation towards the end were laughable. Sonny Chiba is in it though.

Blazing Saddles is one of the few comedies that actually gets funnier the more one watches it.

I have to agree. It was hugely subversive and anti-racist, at a time when such things were still considered edgy and even dangerous for a career. While the conversation on racial politics has moved on since then, it's still a perfect snapshot of where civil rights entertainment was in the 1970s. And it's a damn fine film besides.

Spiderman Homecoming - As a big spiderman fan, this was quite possibly the best since Toby's Spiderman 2 & really enjoy seeing Michael Keaton as the Vulture which is ironic since he use to be Batman.

4 hours ago, Philnemba said:

Michael Keaton as the Vulture which is ironic since he use to be Batman.

I thought it was ironic because he made a comeback with that Birdman movie :p

9 hours ago, Neurosis said:

I thought it was ironic because he made a comeback with that Birdman movie :p

HA! I've completely forgotten about that movie XD

I just watched "Stalingrad". It was kind of cool. It wasn't like 'Saving Private Ryan'. The voice overs weren't that bad unless that kind of thing really pisses you off. I would watch it again. 

I saw the new Ghostbusters right before that, but I haven't seen the new Ninja Turtles yet. It was real ghosty in a kind of funny way, which was kind of nice considering how angry most ghost movies are these days.

I saw The Waterboy last night. It was stupid but great fun although Adam Sandler annoyed me at some times throughout the film.

I grabbed a chance to watch The Breakfast Club when my friend recommended me it the other day,

I say, if you are into rebellious teens, personal revelations, stereotypes, old music, and all the edgy stuff that follows along, then you should watch it.

However, why I didn't like it: (SPOILERS AHEAD - TAKE COVER)

Spoiler

The movie was waay too chaotic. Even I as a teen hated the way the protagonists behaved. Like, FOR FUCKS SAKE SIT DOWN AND SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Look, I usually like chaotic situations... when there are reasons to do so. Like, a brutal war scene, apocalyptic disaster, zombie outbreaks, these are really nice to watch and thrilling. But the way the protagonists made havoc because they are "teenagers" was bullshit. Like all that collateral damage they made, shit they confessed, I couldn't relate to anyone but the "basket case", but I gradually lost interest in her character as well. I know it wouldn't be a movie if all they did was sit down and behaved, but still, not my taste. I barely awaited the end, just so I can tell my friend why did the movie suck (because "without watching it all, my opinion does not matter").

30 minutes ago, Era Di Cate said:

I grabbed a chance to watch The Breakfast Club when my friend recommended me it the other day,

I say, if you are into rebellious teens, personal revelations, stereotypes, old music, and all the edgy stuff that follows along, then you should watch it.

However, why I didn't like it: (SPOILERS AHEAD - TAKE COVER)

Hide contents

The movie was waay too chaotic. Even I as a teen hated the way the protagonists behaved. Like, FOR FUCKS SAKE SIT DOWN AND SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Look, I usually like chaotic situations... when there are reasons to do so. Like, a brutal war scene, apocalyptic disaster, zombie outbreaks, these are really nice to watch and thrilling. But the way the protagonists made havoc because they are "teenagers" was bullshit. Like all that collateral damage they made, shit they confessed, I couldn't relate to anyone but the "basket case", but I gradually lost interest in her character as well. I know it wouldn't be a movie if all they did was sit down and behaved, but still, not my taste. I barely awaited the end, just so I can tell my friend why did the movie suck (because "without watching it all, my opinion does not matter").

I never liked the Breakfast Club, as a kid or as an adult. Last I recall it was just as dull as sitting in detention for a day. I knew a guy that his wife wouldn't let him watch it because he knew every line and could just recite every line.

There were a lot of 80s teen movies I hated. Ferris Beuler's Day Off is one. Dead pan acting from all 3 of the leads.

Edited by geo

I've gone through so many movies I can't remember them all at the moment. Oh but the true gem in the good movies I've seen was the #1 most recommended movie "Check Point." Its such a gem in serious terrible movies and its star studded with stuntmen. Kenny Johnson of Shield fame, Bill Goldberg of wrestling fame, wrestlers, the guy who played Jason, the guy who played Michael Meyers in the Rob Zombie adaptation oh and... bikini bimbos killing people with guns and knives. Dare I say they get the most kills in the movie. William Foresythe rounds out the cast.

Its a flat action movie with a lot of bullets and blood added in post production. I'd say its the directing, sound and camera work that make it feel like a bad movie. Background conversations and wind sounds over the actors speaking. Its just something that isn't done. After being a fan of Kenny's from the Shield with a juicy role for him to play as a marine turned vagrant haunted by his family's death in a tornado when he was on a tour of duty, he just failed here. Oh and his parents were there visiting so they were killed too.

So what's it about? A sleeper cell of Americans on American soil that step 1: kill local marines via strippers murdering them and beheadings. Step 2: take over a battle ship. Step 3: Locate a secret tunnel under Fred Williamson's property to kill the President (who isn't in the movie). I failed to understand why they needed both a battle ship and a secret tunnel. The battle ship can't enter the tunnel. Heck the US Military in one scene doesn't take the threat seriously as the battle ship is retired and a museum.

Oh and if the movie wasn't cursed enough, this movie is in memory... to one of its own stars. I assume he died between the filming completion and the release. 2 months before the movie came out. Wow. It doesn't even have a wiki page. It was co-written by someone only known as NIKI. He's in the movie too. Why not?

Edited by geo

I'm amazed that I've only now just watched Schindler's List. This was easily one of the best movies I've ever seen. Spellbinding, beautiful, sad, and without a single thing to nitpick.