Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureSlime

Most recent movie you saw

I recently re-watched the original Star Wars trilogy. I bought the 'GOUT' DVD editions from 2006, which come with a bonus disc that contains the 'original unaltered theatrical cut' of the films. Really awesome stuff. It's a total relief to experience the movies without some of the horrible "Special Edition" changes George Lucas later added (most were terrible and unnecessary as fans already know).

In addition, you can rip the movies to ISO format and play them with VLC Media Player. In VLC you can darken the colors, contrast, etc and tweak the movie (visually) to your desires. There's also an option to change the presented aspect ratio. It was a surprisingly fun experience, fiddling with the features and all.

I know "Harmy's Despecialized Edition" of the films already exists online for download. Those ones are in much higher (HD) quality, but lack some of the grit present on the 1993 laser-disc transfer (used for the GOUT DVD). As a fan of old horror movies, I actually enjoy that sort of dirty quality.

But man, those Ewoks still annoy the hell out of me. Even as a kid I remember thinking they were stupid. They shouldn't have played such a big role in Return of the Jedi. An entire legion of the best Imperial troops lose to teddy bears? Seriously? Give me a break!

Rest was awesome though. 'A New Hope' and 'The Empire Strikes Back' are perfect films, once you take away the special edition changes at least. Although some of the changes made to 'The Empire Strikes Back' weren't actually too bad.

Alien Covenant.

Ironically, all the stuff with the Alien was what I least liked about it, especially the last 20 minutes or so where it just turns into another Alien movie. Some interesting ideas fleshed out poorly, beautiful visuals in service of very little. I'd rate it a notch or two above Prometheus, but it's very much a case of style over substance. A typical Ridley Scott movie basically.

I saw BR 2049 last weekend and it blew my tiny mind. I was cautiously optimistic but it was a really, really good movie. It lingered in my mind. The soundtrack I was especially worried about and it was amazing. Seeing it again next week.

Watched "10 cloverfield lane" and was surprised by how good it was. Very enjoyable.

Finally finished the Critereon issue of "Stalker": a very interesting movie, but it took my about 6 sessions to watch all of it for various reasons. I saw some influence from this movie on BR 2049 in places.

On 10/16/2017 at 8:07 PM, RUSH said:

I know "Harmy's Despecialized Edition" of the films already exists online for download. Those ones are in much higher (HD) quality, but lack some of the grit present on the 1993 laser-disc transfer (used for the GOUT DVD). As a fan of old horror movies, I actually enjoy that sort of dirty quality.

I haven't seen the GOUT DVD transfers, but I have older LD rips fand I rewatched one recently to compare to Harmys... the quality is certainly above a VHS transfer, but is otherwise pretty poor by modern standards, pretty hard to watch.

On 10/16/2017 at 8:07 PM, RUSH said:

Rest was awesome though. 'A New Hope' and 'The Empire Strikes Back' are perfect films, once you take away the special edition changes at least. Although some of the changes made to 'The Empire Strikes Back' weren't actually too bad.

Yes the Empire changes are mostly complementary rather than distracting. Are there any entirely new scenes? None that I can recollect. Certainly no stupid dance-offs. I rewatched Empire on Blu in the last year and it was pleasant.

I saw Kingsman: The Golden Circle with my wife.  It was fun.  Dumb, even cartoonier, and not as good as the first - but I still think it's above average for that particular kind of sequel.  I can understand why the critics don't love it, but I imagine if you were a fan of the first, this is a fun film.  But that's all it is, "fun."  Don't go in expecting anything amazing.

4 hours ago, Jon said:

Finally finished the Critereon issue of "Stalker": a very interesting movie, but it took my about 6 sessions to watch all of it for various reasons. I saw some influence from this movie on BR 2049 in places.

Stalker is one of my favourites.  I have an odd obsession with the films and culture of my birth country, even if I'm not genuinely... err, fond of the Communist regime (Yes, the avatar is out of "irony," as tired as that is.  I actually kinda wanna change it soon.) and Stalker sort of tops my list there.  It's a fascinating picture and the score is also a highlight.  Out of curiosity, have you read the novella that inspired it, The Roadside Picnic?  They're truly very, very different in almost every way except the concept of The Zone, the Wish Granter, and the character of Monkey (Whose nickname is slightly more... literal in the novella.) but I feel it is absolutely just as worth experiencing.  Not as philosophically heavy and a bit more traditional in some aspects as a sci-fi story, but those are not insults.  It explores the Zone more as a hostile and alien entity, and there's some genuine creepiness and tragedy in watching a mans own family life be so perverted and mutated by a horrific and unknown outside force (The mutant daughter Monkey isn't his only woe in the novella.).  A great story.

29 minutes ago, MsKaye said:

Out of curiosity, have you read the novella that inspired it, The Roadside Picnic?

Yes i have. I was very impressed with it, and I've been meaning to read more Strugastsky bros novel when I get the chance. Actually more Russian stuff full stop. I also thoroughly enjoyed Sorokin's "The Queue" and a 3rd russian novel that I've completely forgotten which one it was. Oh yeah! Yevgeny Zamyatin's "We", which I didn't find particularly memorable after the fact.

So I've been on a midnight horror movie spree since It's October, and since I've been having the craving for films to fill in some spare time. Last night I watched the low budget 1987 horror movie Dolls, which is something I've wanted to watch for a while, and quite frankly I enjoyed it. It was short and never seemed to drag out, and I liked the concept of the whole thing. Plus I just can't resist a horror movie with dolls or puppets and such, because of my pediophobia (fear of dolls).

I just finished watching Evil Dead (2013) and my god I haven't twitched so bad in ages. I love this movie, it kept me hooked throughout the entire run time, and I never got bored. I like how there was a new twist on the Evil Dead plot, rather than being some cheap remake, and in all honesty despite being similar I would never compare the two. I wouldn't say one was better than the other, they were just different. And I like it when a movie can pull that off. On the other hand, I've watched half of the new IT movie, and to be honest, I got rather bored, and switched it for the Evil Dead movie. Now if only my brain would stop imagining the cuts, stabs, etc etc on my limbs...

Next on my list I'm going to watch Se7en since I haven't seen that movie yet. And I've also got the first FEAR game which should be fun! Haven't played the first one, but I have the second.

May God have mercy on my sleepless nightmare riddled soul.

Alien Covenant.

Seriously, Ridley Scott and Michael Fassbender just need to get a room.

Edited by scalliano

The House On Haunted Hill (1959) was cheesy, stupid fun. Vincent Price was delightfully menacing. But if you're looking for a good, period-specific ghost movie, The Haunting is basically this but better.

On 10/18/2017 at 9:21 AM, Jon said:

I haven't seen the GOUT DVD transfers, but I have older LD rips fand I rewatched one recently to compare to Harmys... the quality is certainly above a VHS transfer, but is otherwise pretty poor by modern standards, pretty hard to watch.

Yes the Empire changes are mostly complementary rather than distracting. Are there any entirely new scenes? None that I can recollect. Certainly no stupid dance-offs. I rewatched Empire on Blu in the last year and it was pleasant.

The GOUT DVDs look pretty nice on a PC sized screen with the darkness lowered and the contrast raised. That being said, I wouldn't recommend people buy them unless they're okay with low resolution. The DVDs look terrible on a large HD television. Totally outdated, but still better than VHS quality.

This is why I wish George Lucus would do a proper official release of the original unaltered versions. It's so annoying how he treats his fan base. 'The Empire Strikes Back' Blu-Ray is pretty good at least, I agree. I wish 'A New Hope' and 'Return of the Jedi' turned out equally good. Most of the changes done to those two were appalling.

Don't Breathe Always on the lookout for new, good horror movies, I'd heard good things about Don't Breathe. It can be hard to find truly smart horror movies; We Are Still Here is touted as one, but it's awful. Don't Breathe looked like it might be what I was looking for. It wasn't, but it's a fairly decent film for the most part. It telegraphs things a bit too obviously, and if you dislike morally ambiguous protagonists you'll probably not enjoy this film (I do, though.) There is also some implied impending rape (with a turkey baster, no less) that is foiled at the last second, if that sort of thing bothers you. But it's overall good, with a bittersweet ending.

Little evil. Stupid movie that was done just well enough to allow me to watch the whole thing.

I don't watch movies. The wife and I only watch TV shows/series. We cant stand short lived things unless its a random interest or super interesting.

Edited by DemonusDefunctus

On 7/30/2016 at 0:45 PM, Tracer said:

44 Minutes: The North Hollywood Shootout.

It was a straight to TV movie about the 1997 North Hollywood Bank of America robbery turned shootout between LAPD and two robbers armed with AK47s. No cops or civilians were killed (thank God for good guys with AR15s). This movie was probably the most accurate retelling of actual events I have ever seen.

It stars Ron Livingston (Peter from Office Space) and Michael Madson (Mr. Blond from Reservoir Dogs).

Political rant warning:

Hide contents

Whenever people ask questions like, "Why do the police need to be militarized?!" I refer them to stories like this, where armored vehicles helped rescue injured people from the crossfire and heavily armed and armored officers were able to neutralize the threat without being killed.

For some reason after reading this, I am reminded of this Adama quote from Battlestar Galactica:

"There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."

3 hours ago, DemonusDefunctus said:

I don't watch movies. The wife and I only watch TV shows/series. We cant stand short lived things unless its a random interest or super interesting.

Then why are you here?

7 hours ago, PlinkyBits said:

Terminator 2. That's the first time I've watched it, too. 

One of my all time favorites. Tell me, do you like it and was the kid a deal breaker? I'm trying to decide if I'm giving him a pass out of nostalgia.

Her (aka "that one movie where Joaquin Phoenix wants to shag his phone")

Expected to get a good laugh out of the strange premise, walked away with a large amount of appreciation for the film and the mind behind it. It was actually really touching and sweet. Scarlett Johansson voices the Siri-esque AI and can't go wrong with that, right?

Vicky Christina Barcelona

Woody Allen is by far one of my favorite filmmakers and this certainly didn't disappoint. Two friends head to Spain, lots of stuff happens. Another movie starring Scarlett Johansson, this time as the rebellious and impulsive friend, Rebecca Hall as the responsible and grounded friend, Javier Bardem as the spanish dreamboat and Penelope Cruz as the batshit crazy ex-wife. Also Patricia Clarkson is in there a little bit, so bonus points for that. Great movie overall. Really enjoyed it.

Lolita (1997)

I wanted to watch the Kubrick version initially but upon realizing that I just couldn't find it, I settled on the 90's movie. It's such a bizarre film but downright interesting in so many ways, both with the uncomfortable relationship between Humbert and Lo but also the implications of what they don't show. Reality or Humbert forming a reality all his own?

Day of the Dead 2: Contagium

Guilty pleasure of mine. Low budget, horrible acting, direct to DVD. Unauthorized sequel that has nothing to do with the original. Except, yknow, zombies. It's so unintentionally goofy that's it's definitely worth a watch.

5 hours ago, dethtoll said:

Then why are you here?

Whhooops. I was moving sentences around via cop/paste. I must have over written the last movie I watched. Thanks I would have been a troll without even knowing. Updated my post.

I ran out of my own movies to watch, so I borrowed Lonesome Dove from my aunt. I'd seen it before, but I was young, maybe 9 or 10. It was originally a TV mini-series but when viewed all at once it's basically a long movie.

I spent Halloween with my mom who has some delicate sensitivities. With this in mind I had to pick a movie she would enjoy, which precluded most of the horror films I own. I ended up picking Dark Star, which, while not a horror movie, served as the basis for the much scarier Alien. It's still pretty funny in that student film kind of way. 

Halloween:

- The Monster (2016) - Meh.

- From Beyond (1986) - Absolutely amazing.

- Death Bed: The Bed That Eats (1977) - B-picture, with all the trappings there in.

- Happy Death Day (2017) - Ironic Groundhog Day, pass.

- Hausu (1977) - Rewatched this, can't say enough good things about it. Essential viewing I think.

Other stuff:

- Meyerowitz Stories (2017) - Like Punch Drunk Love, evidence that Adam Sandler can fit really well into a "good" movie given proper direction.

- Inland Empire (2006) - my god.