Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureSlime

Most recent movie you saw

It Follows is actually a really good horror film, those seem rare these days. My children have taken a liking to the movie Boss Baby. It's not a bad movie, what fascinates me about it though is how much of the character design is so close to chuck jones designs. You can tell (if you're familiar with his work.) It's pressed very hard in that direction, and done very well. Never thought I would see his designs and style in 3d.

Last night BFF and I watched Dr. Strangelove. She'd never seen it, and even though I just put it on a few months ago I didn't mind watching it again.

Last movie I think I watched was Sucker Punch. I didn't like it, the writing was awful and really soured the experience for me, including the "big stupid fun" moments, the story tried to be too dark and serious and it felt like a painful and ugly mess. Not recommended watching. Plenty of movies can pull off crazy cool action sequences and actually fit a whole cohesive and enjoyable narrative around the movie.

This past Friday we watched Batman Returns. I'd never seen it but the Christmas theme seemed appropriate.

It, uh... wasn't as good as Batman '89.

I find it interesting that Batman Returns is really more about the villains and less about Batman himself. A lot of it revolves around developing The Penguin and Catwoman as characters, and then Batman just kind of showing up and reacting to them. It's an entertaining film for all its grand spectacle, but also kinda too silly to be serious and too serious to be silly. It tries to have it both ways, but doesn't fully succeed either way. 

The real villain is Max Schreck who is disturbingly reminiscent of Trump. Even kinda looks like Trump did back in the early 90s. That has to be intentional, as Trump was well known in New York as the city's rich bad boy before he went into politics.

CRANK 2

Ho-Lee-Shit. If I didn't remember or realize the first was a comedy I sure realized it with this one. Its so terrible and in your face that it needs to be seen. People call other action movies bad, they need to understand what bad is and Crank 2 is an awful watch in its attempt to parody action movies.

Edited by geo

So is it the movie you're angry at, or are you angry at god because it took you so long to finally watch one of the best action movies ever made?

A mid-1990s French offering called L'Appartement.

Largely a triumph of style over substance, it features a complicated and confusing set of relationships between four main protagonists, two male and two female. To make it worse, the director and script writers take all sorts of liberties with the chronological presentation. Yawn. I never fully worked out what exactly was going on, and found it very difficult to care about much of it. A bit like a typical Icon of Sin level, come to think of it....

It's got to be said that Monica Bellucci was a bit of a looker in this film though.

We closed out the 2017 movie season with The Thing From Another World, a silly 1951 classic that John Carpenter's The Thing is essentially a remake of.

it's still tremendously entertaining in its Hayes-era silliness,but it does have its moments of tension. 

On 2.12.2017 at 9:18 PM, Ribbiks said:

recently went through the entire lynch filmography (sans fire walk with me), wild at heart and lost highway were unexpected gems

Better late then never.

^^ Fire Walk With Me was an abomination, and I wish I never watched it :p. It epitomizes my problems with S2 in general. that is, the show's focus moving away from mystique, tone, and character exploration, and into raw plot exposition. It practically ruins S1 in hindsight, as it takes mysterious plot elements that were left to your imagination and just plainly shows them on screen, with stiff acting and distracting quirks that practically ruined it for me (like donna being played by a different actress, for example).

I'm currently up to part 7 in S3. Honestly I have no idea what to think about this yet. Part of me likes it, part of me hates it. Sifting through various forums and reviews online has been fruitless in getting a better handle on it. seems like there's very little middle ground between rampant lynch fanboyism (everything is exactly like he wanted, and for very specific reasons!!), and the 0/10 crew who abhor everything arthouse about it. I don't mind the slow pace and cheesy CGI, but the acting is really starting to wear on me. Some of it seems clearly intentional (this, for example, was absolutely hilarious: "Now I am curious you are driving me crazy!" which sounds like it came straight out of The Room), but other actors are really treading the line of "is this supposed to be this bad?"..

On 12/21/2017 at 1:00 AM, dethtoll said:

Ok so this is in a quote, I cannot get rid of it, hit it on accident, tried everything, so, this is not a real quote! Anyways!  

I watched The Room with a roomful of people and one guy who has never heard of it, knew nothing, it was funny as hell the entire way through. Great movie to watch with a group, also the first time I watched it with people. 10/10 on the Ed Wood scale

The Last Jedi: Star Wars is in some weird territory now, feels more like a Marvel movie with it's dogfights and completely unnecessary humor. Still shoehorning in characters to sell action figures. A movie that stops and starts about 14 times, everything besides the Luke, Kylo and Rey storylines was tedious. However I liked it far more than the prequels, it wasn't a bad movie but I'm also not a big Star Wars nerd. It was as good as the last two, Mark Hamill was fantastic in this movie. My main question is, now what are you going to do Star Wars? I kind of feel like they fucked up a little bit. 7/10

First few episodes of The Punisher: hurry the fuck up and get to the punishing. 

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:28 PM, Ajora said:

So is it the movie you're angry at, or are you angry at god because it took you so long to finally watch one of the best action movies ever made?

Well, then I went and saw Clown (2014). It wasn't the most murderific horror thing ever. It did satisfy in a clown kind of a way. For some reason, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, to me, is still like the best clown rant/movie ever. But in terms of being like a serial murdering clown, Clown (2014) was a little bit different than that. I'll probably at some point go and see Gacy (2003). This story about John Wayne Gacy, the legendary murder clown, just looks interesting. You know, because clowns are always murdering people.

@Ribbiks hm def agree on Season 2 as it brings too much meaningless stuff to the table. Biggest mistake was the early reveal of the murder at the end of Season 1. Haven't watched S3 yet but i hope it's worth it, so far i've only heard rather mixed reviews.

Just re watched The Deer Hunter again. Its now probably one of my favorite movies of all time, Robert de niro and Meryl Streep did a stellar job in this film, and Christopher Walken just left me in chills at the end. If you dont know the basic idea, its basically a war movie that focuses more on how war destroys people and people around them. Highly recommend it to everyone.

The original Hellraiser for the first time as I missed it.

I was expecting something more epic, but it was pretty underwhelming...

The Mask with Jim Carrey, still good but sometimes I couldn't help but think of that awful sequel with Jamie Kennedy