Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureSlime

Most recent movie you saw

10 minutes ago, Liberation said:

Old foxy knoxy. The British papers were not kind about her, probably be interesting to watch the other side of the story.  

They show all the juicy headlines. I didn't pay attention to the news at the time (or now) to see all the sex cult murder headlines. I didn't even think she was blonde, but the documentary kept calling her blonde. Light brown hair yes... blonde no. Then again, the women in my family are super blonde and usually has to dye their hair darker once they get out of college to be taken seriously.

2 hours ago, qdash said:

"They Live" - very realistic movie.

"I am here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all outta bubble gum." Such a classic film. But... realistic???

3 hours ago, qdash said:

"They Live" - very realistic movie.

More realistic than Wanted with off brand Shaya LeBuff, Angelina Skeletal Jolie, Morgan Freeman and Chris Pratt before he was Chris Pratt. I like how IMDB listed one of the genres as crime, drama and "fantasy." Snipering from moving trains while twisting a bullet in mid fight. Surviving a train falling off a bridge down a ravine. I assume the other passengers weren't so lucky. Let's not forget about flipping a car off a flatter car as a ramp to assassinate someone through a sun roof of a bulletproof window. A grenade and a second person to ride the top of the limo would have been so much more efficient. It was enjoyable for how laughably over the top it was. What's that... secret group of assassins that get their target names from... a loom? You know a loom... the all seeing thing fabric is made with.

Wanted was only good if you went in with your suspension of disbelief already annihilated. If it wasn't broken going in, the 400 bpm heart rate claim would sure finish the job.

It was the only bad movie (I thought) that I ever saw Morgan Freeman in.

Speaking of whom, Oblivion (the film, not the game) with Tom Cruise (and Morgan Freeman) is a cool movie, I think. The twist with the Tet (tetrahedron, I see what you did there) being evil was pretty cool, and the end (minus the epilogue bit) was one of my favorite moments.

26 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Wanted was only good if you went in with your suspension of disbelief already annihilated. If it wasn't broken going in, the 400 bpm heart rate claim would sure finish the job.

It was the only bad movie (I thought) that I ever saw Morgan Freeman in.

Speaking of whom, Oblivion (the film, not the game) with Tom Cruise (and Morgan Freeman) is a cool movie, I think. The twist with the Tet (tetrahedron, I see what you did there) being evil was pretty cool, and the end (minus the epilogue bit) was one of my favorite moments.

Wanted was quite the Dark Knight tie in... filmed in Chicago. Had Morgan Freeman. Had a character named Fox. Had a character covered in white paint on his face. Had a character watch their family murdered in front of them as a child. Had something giving the protagonist binary data. Had attack garbage trucks. Had fancy cars. Had gangs. Had evil villain lairs.

Edited by geo

2 minutes ago, geo said:

Had a character watch their family murdered in front of them. Had fancy cars. Had gangs. Had evil villain lairs.

Sounds like Fast and Furious.

I never realized how similar the two films really were until you pointed that out. That's pretty scary.

Hardcore Henry was a really cool movie, I thought. I liked that all the aspects of a classic FPS actually has a reason for existing as it does. Just the fact that Akan had telekinetic powers is left unexplained, though they probably had to give him those so Henry couldn't just paste him the first chance he had. I particularly liked Tim Roth's role, tiny though it was, it had quite the impact. Glad I saw that one in theatres.

On 5/28/2018 at 9:54 PM, Poncho said:

"I am here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all outta bubble gum." Such a classic film. But... realistic???

Because our life feels like goddamn matrix.

Recent movie: The Purge trillogy. First two is very good, has a good Manhunt(video game) vibe, third is less good but still not bad at all.

Solo

It was okay, I enjoyed most of it. Wasn't like, great or stand out in anyway, which is pretty much how I expected it. Despite all the hype/controversy around Alden's casting, I actually had more of an issue with Woody Harrelson, whose delivery was rather flat at times. Glover encapsulated Lando Calrissian, though. Perhaps not as sauve as Billy Dee, but he was on his way there. Film overall reminded me of the 1980s and 1990s Han Solo novels by Crispin and Daly. Probably because the film made use of some those books' Han backstories. 

Couple weird technical things too, like the lighting was really flat or dull or just done really poorly at times, which is something I've noticed in other Ron Howard directed films. I'm not sure what scenes were his and what was heldover from Lord/Miller. 

Just finished watching a couple of Kubrick films that I'd never seen.

Fear and Desire - Kubrick's first fictional feature-length movie. It's honestly only interesting as his first effort. It's not bad or anything, and some parts are neat (the editing in some scenes is quite fascinating), but... it's a little dull and the acting is not particularly good, either.

Lolita - I can see why people were offended by this (older guy, young girl and such). Peter Sellers really makes a memorable villain (can James Mason's character be considered a villain as well, though?) and, all around, the acting is really good. Even at two and a half hours, the film's never boring, and the drama works fine, due to Kubrick's masterful pacing. Pretty good film!

Pack of Lucio Fulci films. At this time my favorite is "House By The Cemetery". Dr. Freudstein is one of the best monsters in horror movies I ever seen. Totally looks like serious occult post-mortem shit:

Edited by qdash

I saw the Smurfs : The Lost Village. It was, uhm, Smurfy. I think any Smurf fan would have thought it was great, but maybe you wouldn't like it too much if you weren't yet introduced.

Spoiler

Not to spoil any of the fun, but it had all of the elements to make it a complete Smurf adventure; no weird plot twist about a New Evil that has come to the World.

I recommend it if your interests are Disney and Pixaresque films.

Edited by Billy Baron

1 minute ago, Archvile Hunter said:

Just watched 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time. What an experience, I'm absolutely blown away! So many questions...

Funny you say that, I was just considering rewatching it.

Recently re-watched the first 3 Hellraiser films after many years. I do actually reckon the first 3 are good films, Pinhead is pretty cool and the rest of the cast are reasonable.

Wanting to watch the 4th film, but it normally gets bundled in with the next 3/4 movies and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Thanks to MrDeAD1313's avatar, I sat through Begotten. I'd say what I thought, but I'm still kind of recovering.

I just watched Darkman with Liam Neeson and it was quite a good movie.

The effects were half good-half bad, but I still enjoyed the movie.

The origins of Darkman as a character is a very dark story. The character was living a normal life with his wife, until an explosion in his lab, caused by criminals, took his face and made him look like a freak. From there it is a hunt for vengeance and the character can use his research for synthetic skin to look like any person he chooses, for a short period of time, which is quite handy when he has to take down so many enemies. Cool concept and the design of the Darkman is really good. Trench coat, fedora and a face full of bandages (kinda reminds me of Rorschach).

The Full Monty

Old good british comedy about men from the Sheffield which decided to be a stars of men's strip.

Very interesting comedy. Film has a little vulgarity and warms the heart.

Watched The Killing (1956), again a Kubrick film. Has a very interesting editing technique (in that it's told in a non-linear style). Sterling Hayden's awesome as the cool main character, as is Elisha Cook as the wimpy guy. Lots of twists and turns make this heist film a must-see for those interested in the genre.

My most recent watches:

First Reformed Was a solid drama with thriller elements, but I'm not sure how I feel about its... ending. Can't knock the writing or acting though. May not be for those who like slow-build films or the work of Schrader in general. I know a lot of people who can't stand his work outside of Taxi Driver. I'm a fan though (The Canyons was pretty fucking garbage tho.)

Confessions (2010): Excellent Japanese psychological thriller/revenge film. Has a unique structure. I'd recommend it pretty highly. The less said the better since it's pretty twist laden.

How To Talk to Girls At Parties: My wife seemed to really love this one, I didn't care for it tons. Then again I went in less of a John Cameron Mitchell fan (I did like Hedwig tho.) and more of a Neil Gaiman fan, and this is definitely more Mitchell than it is Gaiman. I mean... it's cute and has some funny moments but it's mostly just kind of stupid. It's a ditzy sci-fi sex comedy with heavy LGBTQ+ themes (In spite of the main couple being ostensibly straight, lol.). I imagine it might appeal to those who really like Mitchell's work or gaudy, ridiculous cult comedies.

Enter the Dragon.

Amazing, especially for a '70s movie. What a shame Lee died so young...

I need to watch more fighting movies now, just like the games, they're pretty damn exciting and fun.

Okay, I have FINALLY watched 2001: A Space Odyssey in its entirety. A true masterpiece. It's got slow pacing, but it's so well made and thought-provoking that I excuse it. This is seriously one of the best films ever made.

I saw Skyscraper in theaters, and I watched half of Ghost in the Shell, GITS was amazing, Skyscraper was meh

On 7/18/2018 at 2:29 PM, Agent6 said:

Enter the Dragon.

I need to watch more fighting movies now, just like the games, they're pretty damn exciting and fun.

Watch IP Man, is the story of Lee sifu and is a great fight movie, the sequel is nto as good and the third one is even worse, but they are still decent.

On 7/18/2018 at 3:43 PM, Poncho said:

Okay, I have FINALLY watched 2001: A Space Odyssey in its entirety. A true masterpiece. It's got slow pacing, but it's so well made and thought-provoking that I excuse it. This is seriously one of the best films ever made.

Slow pace is not really a flaw, what happens is that most people are used to the frenetic pace of modern hollywood movies. I Recommend to you Solaris (The russian version of course) is like the partner of 2001 in many ways but also totally different, where 2001 is intellectual Solaris is emotional, but both of them are works of art and the best movies in filmmaking history.

On 7/19/2018 at 3:29 AM, Agent6 said:

Enter the Dragon.

And to expand on what @D88M is suggesting, The Raid is absolutely amazing fighting movie, although story is as deep as a Video Game.

I do have a soft spot for the Unleashed aka Danny the Dog movie

I watched The Conjuring. I am not a fan of horror movies in general but this was really, really good. It spooked me good, there was no respite, just scary thing after scary thing.

One thing that bugged me was how relaxed the family. They're getting fucked up every single night but the next morning they are cooking pancakes and laughing ??

I'm a big fan of old school gangster movies from the 30s and 40s.  Most recent one I saw was The Roaring Twenties.  I'm a huge James Cagney fan.  Not so much a Humphrey Bogart fan, but he was pretty good in this movie. It's so awesome that all these classic movies have been digitalized and will be available forever for future generations to appreciate.