Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureSlime

Most recent movie you saw

I recently watched Diva (1981) by Jean-Jacques Beineix. Very stylish film with good attention to character (though not really story in all honesty). It was a little slower than I had anticipated, but still never boring. It also has one awesome chase scene through the Paris Metro. All in all, recommended. 

3 / 4

I saw Captain Phillips for the first time a month ago. It's a nicely done movie, and it's so well casted. The somalian actors in that are on point as the pirates. Tom Hanks gives a good performance, not his best, but he was ok.

Edited by Blind Joe Death

Damn... Just watched Death Before Dishonor. This is a standard 80s action film. Generally I enjoy those movies, since we all need a little escapism in our lives. Sadly this film has no redeeming characters. The bad guys - who are Arabs by the way - are all stereotypes (yes. I know terrorists like them exist, but it is a complete and utter generalisation that goes beyond political incorrectness and is downright offensive. And let me tell you, I'm not fond of political correctness). The heroes aren't much better - all one-dimensional, no personality and mostly wooden - acted, with the exception of the always-great Brian Keith. Speaking of him, he gets a drill through his hand, yet still fires an assault rifle fine a day later. Bad writing! 

One thing I will praise is that the action scenes are alright (the safe house shootout at the one hour mark is actually quite exciting). But the issue with the final battle is that there're few establishing shots for the baddies (thus no tension, just good guys blowing away people we haven't even seen) and barely any goodies are killed.

So yeah. Not very good. I'll be generous and give it 1 / 4

Edited by Poncho1

Holy shit. I just forced myself to watch Outlaw (2007) by Nick Love. I think he should stick to football hooligan flicks instead of super serious crime vigilante dramas because this was just rubbish. 

I will admit that the acting (especially from Sean Bean, who, might I add, surprise-surprise, dies at the end) is pretty decent. Hell, even Danny Dyer (aka, the laughing stock of British actors) isn't too awful. However, this is a poorly structured, terribly written and woefully plot-thin flick. The editing is also complete bollocks, using that annoying "missing every fourth or fifth frame" technique that I hate in action films like this. 

I could go into loads of detail, but I'll just compare this to the far superior Death Wish from the 70s. Bronson's character arc is so much more convincing, as is the whole feel of the film, since he targets crooks at random. In Outlaw, the members all bang on about the scum of society, but only seem to focus on one evil drug lord. No one else. What? Despite the fact that I don't like Death Wish's political philosophy, I still like it since it's well-acted, well-paced and well-shot. Pacing, editing, writing, cinematography and cohesion are all missing from Outlaw. On top of all that, the film's also guilty of the worst cinematic sin: in between the killings and beatings, it's boring! 

Personally, I wouldn't watch it. 0 / 4.

I DO, however, recommend listening to the highlights of the audio commentary on YouTube. It's quite amusing. 

Rediscovered Contagion after years of not watching it. It's a very well put-together movie that tries to avoid all the cliche mis-steps that a lot of movies today make- opening narration, excessive exposition, etc. There's just something I enjoy about the very stark and grim way the movie presents epidemics and their effects.

1 hour ago, Major Arlene said:

Rediscovered Contagion after years of not watching it. It's a very well put-together movie that tries to avoid all the cliche mis-steps that a lot of movies today make- opening narration, excessive exposition, etc. There's just something I enjoy about the very stark and grim way the movie presents epidemics and their effects.

haha, I just rewatched that about two weeks ago.  I forgot I had it.

Yeah it's pretty well made, I think.  It really reminds me of the game Plague, Inc., as if you're watching the movie adaptation.

I recently decided to watch Skyscraper but honestly there was nothing really which stood out about it, it seems like it has borrowed a few things from other older but better action films such as Die Hard, The Fugitive and The Towering Inferno. It's not really a movie I would watch a second time.

"Gojira" 1954 First ever depiction of Godzilla Very brilliant movie from Golden age of Japanese cinema....All later crap parts should be banned....

Brighton Rock 1947 a British crime movie highly atmospheric....

To Live 1994  A Chinese movie about life of a couple....again good one...

Riot In cell block 11 1954 An Good one if you like prison movies but i found these too depressing...

Halloween, the 2018 version, in theaters about two days after its release. Was actually quite surprised by its turn towards psychological horror as opposed to straight-up slasher blood and guts.

Definitely worth the watch.

I always watch  „The Iron Giant“ with my students. Imho a very underrated and great movie.

"What was the most recent film you saw, and what did you think of it?"

Most recent movie I saw? You mean the movie I saw that came out the most recently or what movie did I watch the last time I watched one?

Screw it, I'll answer both

The movie I saw that came out the most recently was Ready Player One. It was a great movie, and I really enjoyed the storyline and the overall plot of the movie. And the visual effects were pretty fuckin' cool.

The last time I watched a movie I was rewatching RoboCop (1987). RoboCop is my favourite movie. No need to say why.

Last film I remember watching was Annihilation. Pretty pretty pretty good. A good scifi story, a good subtext underneath that, and some fucking sick special effects. And best of all, the surface scifi elements actually fuse into the subtext AND they pose some questions that you don't often see asked in big budget scifi.

Watched another Beineix film - this time it was Betty Blue (1986). I watched the director's cut, which is 3 hours long. Despite the length, the characters are all colourful, have interesting quirks, and the acting (especially from the leads) is really good. It's also pretty sexy. 

Again, recommended. 3,5 / 4

Well I'm back... with another heap of movies over the past few months.

HOUSE OF 1,000 CORPSES: Still a highly entertaining horror movie. I saw it with someone else who loves it and two others who have never seen it before. One of them had really stinky feet.

INSTANT FAMILY: I saw this in theaters with two others. It's a funny movie with Mark Wahlburg, but it could have been funnier. It has feels and comedy. Hopefully this will be incentive for people to foster more children like Finding Nemo became a boom for the clownfish industry. It's a movie that is good, but I have a feeling no one will want to go out of their way for just Mark Wahlburg.

DADDY'S HOME 2: I never wanted to see the original, but it was highly entertaining. This is still as entertaining, but now with John Lithgow and Mel Gibson of all people. It's an amusing Christmas movie. It really feels like you need to have seen and remembered the first one to know what's going on with this one. It's one of the rare movies where the sequel remembers the first. Some of the most awkward kissing scenes in any movie ever.

WONDER WOMAN: Is a blend of Thor (the movie) and the first Captain America movie. It was great and it felt like she took a back seat in her own movie to Chris Pine who was essentially the hero. The best part about the movie is the logic of having a flashback within a flashback. The entire movie is a flashback. The movie is quite the visual feast beyond the fact there are amazons. The movie makes great use of all her powers and tools.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE LIVE ACTION MOVIE: Too many characters. A mish mash of so many worlds and quite a forgettable villain, even if they did a good job of showing the villain winning battles against these individual super heroes. The team managed to resurrect Superman in a sub plot. This movie really felt thrown together like it should have had more details and a longer run time to explain a lot of the logic behind Batman knowing the world is ending. If you really want to see Superman kick ass, this is the movie. It truly shows off the fact that anything or any team would just be decimated by the Man of Steel. There's just no need for other heroes.

LEGO BATMAN: If you ever wanted to see every Warner Bros film property mixed into a single movie made out of Lego bricks... this is it. Wow for all the big budget visual feast superhero movies, I think this one takes the cake. It was laugh out loud for a lot of it and despite Justice League having too many characters and worlds, Lego Batman had like 90 characters, but 5 main characters and it didn't get messy like Justice League.

JIGSAW: This was a great movie to keep the franchise going. It has everything you'd expect from the franchise, horrific gore, traps, interesting moments, cops trying to solve the mystery and twists.

THE RING THREE OR WHATEVER IT'S CALLED: Wow... this is another horror movie to resurrect a retired franchise and wow did it fail. It started off good enough, then fell off a cliff and got confusing. It's a horror mystery that failed to deliver on the mystery with something compelling.

THE MUMMY WITH TOM CRUISE: At some point I realized Tom Cruise is in really good movies... not this one. It feels more like Brendan Frasier or Ashton Kutcher should be in it. There was a lot of drama that was laugh out loud funny. Capturing the mummy for science will be classic unintentional comedy. It's a horror adventure rather than an adventure with horror and that doesn't work. It felt like a waste of Russel Crowe and Tom Cruise.

TOMB RAIDER 3: May as well call it Tomb Raider 3. It is by far the best Tomb Raider movie, it just lacks star power. I went into it thinking it would be terrible due to the lack of star power and budget. For what I felt was a low budget movie it had the same $100 million that the first two Tomb Raiders had and made as much money as the first. The first two Tomb Raiders felt instantly forgettable, while this was Indiana Jones without the gimmicks, Nazis and as much fun. It still has a dash of comedy, fun, big stunts, tombs that don't make Lara look like the bad guy for looting them. It's a story about finding her father. While Lara was played by someone with less star power, she's built like a stunt woman for when she's hanging from cliffs.

Edited by geo

Whiplash. I thought I'd really like the movie initially, but ended up not all that much. Found it to be way too over-the-top.

Mom and Dad with Nicholas Cage: is a bonkers horror film claiming it's a comedy. I went in blind, so I had no preconceptions, but watching the trailer, it hypes the comedy. It's 90% horror for the first half and maybe 25% intentional comedy for the second half. Probably to ease the horror intensity. There's no ending either. In fact, reading the wiki during the movie, I felt like oh it spoiled the ending by explaining a detail of the plot that would explain the ending... nope... there is no ending and nothing that would indicate any kind of closure or even a winner. With that said, I loved it. Fantastic premise done really well beyond the small scope of what I thought it would be reading the description "a teen struggles to survive against her mom and dad that want to kill her." They had quite a few cameos for a movie that made a mere $150,000 at the box office... I'm amazed it went to any theaters given the true premise would be a tough sell.

This is probably one of the lowest like to dislike ratios I've seen when looking up a movie on Google.

SUICIDE SQUAD: HELL TO PAY: is a fun, R rated animated movie. It's fun because the cast of characters that seem to be randomly generated. Female Wolverine, 50,000 year old cave man, Professor Pig, Dead Shot, freeze power girl (Mortal Kombat's Frost), Copperhead is now Mortal Kombat's Reptile and so many more. Great movie, full of surprises and such a great, simple plot that adds a lot of onion layers. I know nothing about this random bag of characters and they handled it appropriately to explain it to me the non fan. DC animated movies are also fun to play "guess that 90s actor voice."

Edited by geo

I rewatched The Picture of Dorian Gray again, and it's even better than I remembered it. A brilliant story about decadence, vanity and degradation. I'm going to have to read the book now. 

Had 3 visits to this cinema in the last couple of weeks:

Robin Hood was gloriously terribad.

Widows was technically better, but a bit slow and ultimately less entertaining.

Die Hard (the original), which remains a fantastic action film, despite its seriously problematic social attitudes.

This weekend, we're off to see Mortal Engines, which I fear will not live up to my memories of the book (but then, neither did the book's sequels)

1 hour ago, Capellan said:

Die Hard (the original), which remains a fantastic action film, despite its seriously problematic social attitudes. 

This statement surprises me, can you elaborate?

1 hour ago, chungy said:

This statement surprises me, can you elaborate?

Well, to give just one example, the climax of the film literally hinges on Holly losing the signifiers of her individual success and achievement (the rolex, her surname) to accept her "proper" role as Mrs McClane, loving wife.

I watched "The Christmas Chronicles" as well and must say, that it is rather underwhelming. Its flaws were even more apparent when we watched "Jingle All The Way" with Arnold Schwarzenegger shortly after. "The Christmas Chronicles" is very unoffensive and thus a tad bland. Kurt Russel certainly gives it his best to save it, but alas, is oneliners can carry the film only so far. At least the CGI looked decent. Overall "okay", but nothing really special imho.

Better watch "Home Alone" for the 37850th time.

Because I can't remember the last time I watched DVD / Bluray I just say that the last time I was in cinema last year I saw the new Blade Runner.