Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureSlime

Most recent movie you saw

On the weekend, I watched Super Inframan and Sheborg Massacre.  The first was delightfully goofy 70s power rangers-esque nonsense.  The latter was a surprisingly smart and ambitious Australian SF-comedy-action gorefest made on next to no budget (I've seen reports it cost around $20,000).

Justice League. It was kind of time to catch up with superhero movies/shows I missed, and I figured I'd give JL a try after seeing just how much hate it got back when it first came out.

So... overall I would say it was a decent movie, but it definitely shows that it was finished by someone else than the person who started filming it. The dialogue wasn't very good, and some of the characters were less-than-stellar (wtf have they done to Batman lol, most of the time he looked like someone way too old for his job, and that sequence after Superman was brought back to life felt so out of place ("Yup, something's definitely bleeding")...

I think it was by no means a mediocre movie, but it was not great either. Hopefully DC will do a better job in the future. With Titans they've definitely demonstrated they can still make great stuff (if only Season 2 can come sooner in Europe... ). And hopefully Reeves and Pattinson won't screw up in 2021.

The original Evil Dead trilogy.

Pretty damn awesome, and it was interesting to see how it changed its tone gradually. The original is pretty much as serious as it gets, and Army of Darkness as comedic and goofy as it can go. I wonder where Ash vs The Evil Dead picks up.

I also realized some things while watching. Up until this point, I always assumed Blood's Hand was based on Addams' Family Thing, but it's now become obvious that's not the case. Lots of one-liners are taken from here, obviously, Build style :p. And this is what inspired the Mini-Calebs as well, heh.

My favorite is definitely going to be Army of Darkness, way too fun to watch and unashamedly over-the-top. I just wish there wouldn't have been changes between the original's story and the sequel though, the second movie changes quite a few things when it retells the story of the first.

1 minute ago, seed said:

ill double on saying that army of darkness is the best

9 hours ago, seed said:

I also realized some things while watching. Up until this point, I always assumed Blood's Hand was based on Addams' Family Thing, but it's now become obvious that's not the case. Lots of one-liners are taken from here, obviously, Build style :p. And this is what inspired the Mini-Calebs as well, heh.

Wow. I too believed that Blood's Hand enemy was based on the Hand from Addams' Family. Interesting to find out that its not true.

13 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Wow. I too believed that Blood's Hand enemy was based on the Hand from Addams' Family. Interesting to find out that its not true.

Yeah, but I don't think that's the case anymore tbh (keep in mind this is my theory only, I can't find anything solid on what inspired the enemy in the game, Bloodwiki has no info either). Thing's concept also changed with time, it was originally meant to be a full being, but it was too hideous so it was eventually turned into an arm in the 1964 series, then later into a disembodied hand, most notably in the movies and the 1990s reboot show. You could probably say the idea itself historically precedes that of Evil Dead's though.

One thing's (heh) for sure though, the high pitched line they speak once alerted ("I'll swallow your soul!") is most certainly a reference to Evil Dead (Deadites sometimes say this).

Velvet Buzzsaw, an excruciating loss of brain cells masquerading as a satirical horror movie. 

Managed to cause Netflix to freeze solid for several minutes, and then a smattered canvas murdered everyone I know. The spirit of Vetril Dease lives on.

Root canal/10

Joker.

Well this was a pretty interesting movie, I liked how well it illustrated the misery in society and between classes. Joakim was also pretty damn good and an odd mix of awkward and worrying to see in action, without a doubt a take that makes the viewer also see him more as a victim rather than a product of his unfortunate past, more grounded in reality.

But it doesn't follow the comics, at least not the canon most of us are familiar with (I'm still only familiar with his backstory as seen in Killing Joke, and Batman 1989, never bothered to trace his origins in the comics since they were never really set in stone to begin with, there's been multiple attempts). Last time I checked, prior to the incident when he fell into the toxic chemicals he was part of some sort of criminal group, and had a wife, who was killed (I think? - see KJ). All the crappy events he went through in that fateful day turned him into you-know-who. This one lived with his mother and has mental issues, who is eventually broken by the trash around him.

It also changes Batman's origins (also Thomas appeared to be a real cunty richboi in this movie). Thomas and Martha (speaking of which, Martha is completely absent from the movie, she only shows up during the alley scene to die) seemed to have been shot by a random guy with a clown mask, rather than Joe Chill. Arthur also had contact with the family, and is in fact Thomas' son here, who was later abandoned. Plot twist, heh. And Penny Fleck really wasn't a nice person after all.

All in all, a pretty interesting take on the character who is much more closely related to the Waynes, especially when compared to the most common canon, and frankly I'm glad they really took their time to flesh out the character and make him an actual background that is fully explored, that hasn't been done before on neither the big or small screen as far as I know, rather than have a short introduction to the Arthur persona and then go full beast mode with Joker. Joakim was a good choice, now let's see how things go in the future.

Batman and Robin.

Yeah, I know the movie is notorious, and that's exactly why I wanted to watch it, see for myself just how bad it really is. And yes, it is very bad. Music is meh, the plot is basic with no twists and nothing interesting going on, there's zero character development, the CGI is crap, everything looks like plastic with lots of smoke to look more fancy than it really is, the Bat costumes and vehicles look super cheap, Freeze looks goofy as fuck and just like everyone else, has zero character development and only throws cold puns and laughs, and the fights... well, there's barely any "fights".

Bane? Nah, brainless brute who looks like a balloon filled with helium. Batman? Far too weak, barely serious, smiles and jokes way too much. Frankly, Clooney was a relatively decent Bruce Wayne, but as a Batman he was terrible (let's not even mention Batgirl and Robin... ). Alfred wasn't too bad though.

Indeed, it has no redeeming qualities, and comparing it with all the other Batman movies is insulting. It sits at 3/10 on IMDB for good reason, stuff's whack. But it was fun to watch - because it's hilariously bad. An obvious, effortless, and soulles cash-grab.

Edited by seed : I meant B&R, not Forever, oops.

@seed That was actually Batman & Robin (Batman Forever was Val Kilmer, with a surprisingly fantastic performance by Jim Carrey as Riddler).

But hey... Batman & Robin gave us this magnificently glorious scene...

Spoiler

Santa Sangre (1989) - cool psychedelic, surrealistic shit. Wikipedia: "Mexican-Italian avant-garde horror film directed by Alejandro Jodorowsky".

Batman Forever.

So it is done, I've seen the 90s Batman movies. Well, I daresay this movie is actually not half bad. The story is good, the acting is solid (though Riddler is a bit too goofy and Two-Face slightly underdeveloped), the effects are good, the first are well choreographed, and it explores the characters.

It's clearly built upon the foundation of Keaton, and frankly, Kilmer is both an underrated Bruce Wayne and Batman. He does his job well. Maybe not the best, but not the worst either. Considering that the cast is almost the same as in B&R, and it's also directed by the same guy, it only proves that he was capable of making a... well, maybe not a solid or great Batman movie, but a competent one. It has its flaws, in fact the final part is a bit weak and gets quite a bit cheesy there, and the crappy design of the suit is first seen here (Robin's looks great, the experimental suit of Batman is, I think, the same as the one seen in Clooney's film - trash). The design of the Bat stuff was also good, except the Batmobile (this director sure loves his lights...).

It would appear I am quite picky about those iconic assets, and this Batmobile is... simply a bit riced. Up to this day it seems Keaton's Batmobile remains my favorite, that design was just too fucking good. Shame it was never reused in movies, but at the same it, that was a design that belonged in the 90s, it wouldn't fit the tone and style of nowadays' Batman movies, just like the comic art style and atmosphere of Gotham from Keaton's duology wouldn't fit today, just 2 things that really are a testament to this period.

batman-une-replique-de-la-batmobile-de-1

It still fits cartoons, but live action movies? Not so much. I can never see this car in Bale's or Affleck's movies.

Another thing I can't see nowadays would also be Batman Returns' take on the Penguin:

maxresdefault.jpg

... and Catwoman's suit. I loved the more morbid (and less human) take on the Penguin in this movie, reminds me of the Uncle Fester from the '90s Addams Family movies.

Overall, I'm glad I watched Batman Forever. No, it's not really on par with Keaton's duology thanks to the lackluster final part, and being a bit too cheesy and corny in others, but it doesn't belong in the trash along with B&R either. It's fun, enjoyable, with flaws, yes, but it's decent and competent. The series should have stopped after Batman Returns, they never gave Tim Burton the opportunity to do what he wanted anyway, so no wonder both Keaton and him left after 2 movies.

Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989) - old japanish cyberpunk trash with alot of industrial music:

Trailer is really awesome, but movie is just for one time.

4 hours ago, qdash said:

Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989) - old japanish cyberpunk trash with alot of industrial music:

Trailer is really awesome, but movie is just for one time.

I really want to see this.

I saw "Killer Nerd". It's a movie from the early 90's, but the style and cameras looked even a little older than that.

It's kind of Lovey Dovey, you know, Nerdy. The guy has real Nerd problems, not made up ones. So, it takes sadistic twist after sadistic twist, using lines that are classic or lines that will stick with you and become instant classics. Lines like

"He aint had pu$$y since pu$$y had him!"

The dialog is real catchy.

Long story short, I say watch it. You would miss too much if you didn't see this one and just said you saw it.

18 hours ago, Poncho1 said:

I really want to see this.

No problem - it's available on youtube. If you don't understand language, dialogs in this movie isn't important at all. :D

P.S. 

Plot: crazy satanist's gang infected by rabies. :)

I can't believe it took me this long to watch The King of Comedy. What a brilliant movie. Very weird and unnerving. 

John Wick 3. Boy they just keep adding more people to head shot and another layer to the Assassins organisation every movie.

I liked it though and the sound of the weaponry is epic.

1 hour ago, luckyjack said:

The Irishman - wow, 3.5 hours can fly by when you are transfixed! This was a pretty intense story that just kept on going, I didn't feel that the de-aging particularly added or subtracted from the film so just went with it (it was a bit odd when they were younger but still moved like older folk and everyone had big ears!). 4/5

I actually think the de-aging was noticeable, although ever so subtle.

It was a great 3.5 hour romp. Not as good as The Godfather because the last half hour or so the quality does start to degrade, but as great as Goodfellas and possibly better.  140 million was spent well.

16 minutes ago, Chezza said:

John Wick 3. Boy they just keep adding more people to head shot and another layer to the Assassins organisation every movie.

I liked it though and the sound of the weaponry is epic.

I can never hate John Wick, especially with the effort Reeves puts into every movie. I like it, very much so.

What i saw:

Le Mans 66 (Ford vs Ferrari in other countries):

After seeing the Irishman (And State of Play, an older film on Netflix) this was a great refresher. You gotta love your autosports, but Bale and Damon put on a great acting job. Bale is hilarious as typical English knob and it goes by a breeze with some historical value too.

But you gotta love your autosports. If not, then this movie will do very little for what it tries to tell you.

Ford vs. Ferrari

nice movie. unfortunately, given the sad state of the movie industry and it's gender/homossexualism agenda pushing, this was the final film for me. from now on, i'll only look for older stuff.

I watched Psycho II late last night, not the first time seeing it. A good movie, a decent sequel, it's a borderline miracle really. 

On 12/2/2019 at 12:15 AM, Nekr0s1s said:

Ford vs. Ferrari

nice movie. unfortunately, given the sad state of the movie industry and it's gender/homossexualism agenda pushing, this was the final film for me. from now on, i'll only look for older stuff.

How has that to do with the movie you watched? It is a historic take on car sports in the 60's, different times.

I also find it odd how this "agenda pushing" can be so off-putting.

Not trying to hate on anyone here, but hasn't agenda pushing been a part of cinema forever, whether it be the progressive mindset of today (and I'll admit, even though I politically identify as progressive, it can get distracting) or the hard-man badass guy type of the 80s. In my mind, there's nothing new, per se. 

Just my 2 cents, as usual. 

I just break it down to, is the movie bad, or is it good? Because when you get right down to it, all movies say something. It's a question of, if what its saying is said well. Hollywood is mostly creatively bankrupt, and I find a lot if indy director's to be full of themselves if the content of their movies are anything to go by. 

And then you get things like the new Black Christmas remake, because one terrible remake missing the entire point of what horror is meant to be clearly wasn't enough.