Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureSlime

Most recent movie you saw

I saw the Terminator for the first time yesterday. Brilliant.

Okay, in my "absence" from this particular thread, I've watched about a gazillion films... so I'll just write about the last film I watched:

The 400 Blows (1959) - a New Wave classic by François Truffaut. Jean-Pierre Léaud is amazing as the misunderstood teenage delinquent who is neglected by his parents and treated like shit by his teachers. The humanity of the film surfaces due to Truffaut's aversion of sentimentality, which makes the film all the more emotional. Instantly one of my favourite films. Why didn't I watch this sooner?

4 hours ago, Loud Silence said:

The Gendarme in New York (1965)

"Your attitude is not juste"

I recently saw Klaus and was quite blown away by it. Not by a storytelling viewpoint - although the story and delivery are definitely very fine - but more from an animation standpoint. This is a traditionally 2D animated movie by a spanish studio (?!) with absolutely incredible smooth animations and a quite unique visual style. If you can, check it out. There are definitely worse Christmas Movies you can watch.

9 hours ago, Matthias said:

Recently I saw Saw

Glad you got to see Saw. I saw Saw too.

Anyway, last movie, well documentary I watched was Jim and Andy, Netflix's documentary/interview about the filming of Man on the Moon. Wasn't sure what to expect going in, although I loved that movie. It was really interesting, it has a bunch of behind the scene footage of the filming (which Paramount wanted destroyed, but Carrey kept in his office for 20 years), which usually I find boring. But it turned out that Jim Carrey just went batshit insane during filming, and according to him he wasn't playing Andy Kaufman or Tony Clifton, he was telepathically channeling them.

So yeah, when they were shooting as Andy, he would act like Andy, on and off set, when they were shooting Tony, same thing. It was actually just kind of surreal how deep he went into those character. I think the movie mentally broke him, he's been really fucking weird since then. And not "ha ha, I talk out of my butt" kind of weird.

If you liked the movie, I'd recommend watching it, I thought it was pretty damn interesting.

Sylvia

Sylvia Plath, her tortured relationship with Ted Hughes, and her suicide in 1963. A lot better than you'd expect from a 21st Century film.

27 minutes ago, Loud Silence said:

This one is soooo good...

ahahah. I just watched this today and kind of completely hated it :p. it felt like it was written by a 20-something who's never heard actual humans talk before and decided that the strategy for making realistic contemporary dialogue is to cram as much sarcasm and as many "fuck"s into the script as possible. it also had some pacing issues. But idk, I'm probably overthinking it. it's a dumb-fun horror movie and if I knew that going in I probably would've had a better attitude towards it.

Terminator 2, and the night before, the first one.

Was nice back when Hollywood sci fi was well made and had provocative ideas and good acting and direction and action and effects. 

On 12/4/2019 at 7:04 PM, Major Arlene said:

The Arrival. Took a bit to get into it but my god, the ending was incredibly full of emotion. Highly recommend.

Fucking brilliant movie, fucking instant classic. Goddamn cosmic horror where the horror isn't in "oh so spooky" but in "oh my fucking god imagine experiencing that".

Also, I just saw Dunkirk. Goddamn that film was so good.

Star Wars Episode IX.

Liked it, as I actually enjoy post-original trilogy SW. Kind of a mindfuck in various ways, but I guess this would be the end of the Skywalker saga. I wonder how things will go on after an inevitable reboot years later.

Finally saw Of Mice and Men the other day. I knew basically what happens in the story and how it ends, but I'd never actually seen the movie or read the book.

I had the time last night, so I watched Doom Annihilation. It was much better than I expected, despite some cringe dialogue and delivery. I'm impressed with the visual effects that they pulled off with so small a budget, imagine if they'd had the same budget as the '05 Doom.

Assault on Precinct 13, John Carpenter version. Great movie, the synth soundtrack is creepy and keeps the atmosphere tense. Characters ended up being decently likeable, especially the transported prisoners.

Star Trek Generations (1994)

It's not the worst TNG Star Trek movie (that would probably be Nemesis imo) but it's not the greatest one either. It is sort of entertaining but the flow is a little off, as in it's a little slow. Plus i'm not big on the plot (the Nexus). The acting is fine though and the film looks good overall.

In the end the movie is just pretty average overall, especially for a Star Trek movie. It could of been a lot better imo.

I have watched 2 seasons of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency. It was so cool. Now I know why JJBA is the most popular anime in 10s.

I just watched Into the Spider-Verse. The whole time I kept thinking "hey movie, your GPU is overheating." My eyes could never adjust to the fact that the animation was missing so many frames. And on the whole, I just don't think it was very well written. Some neat ideas and jokes here and there, but it left me feeling disappointed and unimpressed. I really liked Peni Parker, The Prowler, and Doc Ock, but we never really got to learn much about them. There were a lot of really interesting characters, but the problem is that most of the movie's character development focussed on Miles, who I just didn't find to be all that likable or compelling. Sorry.

Edited by Ajora

Just watched "Joker" and can't but wonder if the Hollywood tendency to cast fat people and queers as villains has now been extended to the mentally ill. That said I enjoyed it quite a bit.

1 hour ago, GoatLord said:

Just watched "Joker" and can't but wonder if the Hollywood tendency to cast fat people and queers as villains has now been extended to the mentally ill. That said I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I liked it a lot too. Joaquin Phoenix's surprisingly understated performance was a wonderful alternative take on the character.

The movie was also completely devoid of origin story boilerplate so common with comic book characters.

Jojo Rabbit.

Quite hilarious yet carries a distinctly serious message. Its Hitler after all.

Good satire.

Guest MIND

Basic instinct.

Cannot believe I didnt see it sooner.

1992. When Hollywood was actually still making good movies.

BLUE STREAK SPEEDS BAHHH

SAWWNIIIK THE HEDGEHAAWG

For my son's first theatre experience, I probably couldn't do much better. I love seeing him so excited and happy.

It was a fun movie, a solid 7/10.

I went to see Parasite tonight. I very much decided to throw any idea of its hype out the window, I just wanted to see how it was.

It was good. I liked it. It's a movie that I find to be made in a very similar spirit to Heathers, which is one of my all time favourite movies. It gets a little more dramatic towards the end but, yeah, I would say to anyone with doubts that despite the hype this wasn't a movie made by people up their own asses. Its a good film by a skilled film maker with a witty script that has some bite to it. Its nothing revolutionary, its actually very universal and accessible in every way other than the language it was filmed in. I can see why it's managed to do so well overseas, I got the heavy impression that was their intent and informed how it was written.