Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureSlime

Most recent movie you saw

My last movie was a second-hand viewing of the 1982 Conan the Barbarian... but let's be honest, I had to stop and watch it to the very end. I don't even make jokes about it, that shit is a masterpiece.

I saw "The Platform" yesterday on Netflix. I'm still intrigued by the concept of the movie even now. Even if you're not into the whole social commentary of it I still highly recommend as it is a frightening concept.

Probably one of my favorite recent horror movies  (or thrillers if you wanna split hairs :p )

I have watched two movies since my last post, I saw The Gauntlet (1977) and The Prowler (1981)

First one was a pretty enjoyable Eastwood action flick, with a lot of emphasis on vehicle chases. The titular final set piece was awesome. The story was very standard corrupt cop story but I liked that Eastwood played Dirty Harry if he were a little more human and vulnerable with his character. Ending is kind of nonsensical but its an action movie, ending with an arrest and months long trial of a corrupt police chief would not be a satisfying payoff. Sondra Locke was fun in it.

The Prowler was a well directed but somewhat hollow slasher flick with a really basic premise and kills that are quite graphically disturbing and realistic rather than over the top. Tom Savini did do the effects however so rest assured, someone does get the Doom 2 Super Shotgun treatment to their skull. It's compared to My Bloody Valentine a lot, it's kind of like that only way less fun and memorable than that movie was, though of the two Prowler probably had the better effects. Eh, I did like it more than Prom Night, I think. 

I've been watching some old movies for a while now, and some older TV shows such as the cancelled Invisible Man sci fi series.

More exactly, the last couple of days I've watched Commando, the first 4 Rambo/First Blood movies, the two The Abominable dr Phibes movies, House on Haunted Hill, and today I'll be watching the 1922 movie Dr. Mabuse - good grief four hours and a half? I guess I know what I'm doing today, what's left of it anyway.

After that, well, not sure, but more old movies probably, since I've never seen so many of them anyway, but what I have in mind for right now, apart from my long ass list of bookmarked movies, is more stuff starring Vincent Price and Clint Eastwood. Stuff just keeps on piling up, I might have to put movies on hold temporarily and watch some other TV series I've been meaning to watch for a long now before I get caught up in something else and end up doing nothing, specifically True Blood, Stranger Things, and maybe that HBO Watchmen series which somehow managed to end at the bottom of my list. Yeah, probably in that order too.

Tonight i will watch "The Serpent's Egg" by Igmar Bergman.

I Don't know anything about the plot, and it is supposely Bergman's biggest stinker according to the critics, but knowing Bergman's filmography and that he was satisfied after releasing this movie, i want to check for myself if a master author cosidered his worst effort is actually a great effort itself for normal people, or not.

45 minutes ago, seed said:

Commando

Both the cleverest and dumbest movie ever made, I absolutely love Commando. 

There's not much I tend to watch now, movies fit well because they can be watched in one sitting and can fit a whim well especially if they're on youtube in full. I got a couple of shelves of blu ray releases of my favourite movies, that tends to be my go to most of the time. 

1 minute ago, P41R47 said:

i want to check for myself if a master author cosidered his worst effort is actually a great effort itself for normal people, or not.

A good example of that for me is with Dario Argento and the Cat o Nine Tails. To be fair, he said this many years ago and probably doesn't think it now given his career just limped along after the mid 90s, but he said that was his weakest movie and ah, if we consider the period of his strongest output, I guess he must have his own reasons for thinking about it but I think there's a great many arguments to be made for Cat that its superior to Four Flies on Grey Velvet (which was the one that least impressed me overall) or Inferno.

I think in general its a strong thriller, sure its sci fi premise is based on nonsense (but in 1971 it was taken a little more seriously), but that isn't the point, the point is simply the story and the film making and I think its pretty strong in that movie. 

On 8/28/2020 at 5:01 PM, hybridial said:

Both the cleverest and dumbest movie ever made, I absolutely love Commando. 

There's not much I tend to watch now, movies fit well because they can be watched in one sitting and can fit a whim well especially if they're on youtube in full. I got a couple of shelves of blu ray releases of my favourite movies, that tends to be my go to most of the time. 

Yeah, Commando was just epic but it was definitely cheesy as heck at times. I definitely see why it and similar movies were used as template for Duke, I was even wondering "Why would we even want a Duke movie, like, ever, when we have this? How would it be any different, apart from having aliens abducting chicks?"

I didn't use to watch movies in general either, but it's something that just comes and goes for me, and since I'm enjoying unemployment until further notice, it's a good way to spend my time, among a few other things. There's plenty to watch anyway since I've missed a lot of stuff over the years, time to catch up I guess. I'm not as nitpicky about movies as I used to be once either, although I still have my preferences, when I was a kid, I used to only watch action or sci fi movies, now, if it's a classic or good enough, I'll probably watch it, although I tend to still steer clear off of comedy, romantic, and to an extent horror stuff, it just doesn't appeal to me. Or, okay, new or new-ish horror/comedy movies anyway, I never got their appeal as most of the time they make me cringe and wonder "...so this is what "normal" people find amusing or terrifying? Yeah, okay, I'm outta here... "

Maybe I just don't know the good stuff, that's also a possibility, but eh. When it comes to comedy, sitcoms, and related stuff, my jam tends to be the likes of the Addams Family, there's reasons for why I love that stuff after all.

Edited by seed

6 minutes ago, seed said:

although I tend to still steer clear off of comedy, romantic, and to an extent horror stuff

Kinda the same as me pretty much, although the thing with horror is good horror movies are like my favourite thing, but bad horror movies are 99.9% of horror movies. Also, admittedly, I don't like all kinds of horror movies, I'm not actually the biggest fan of ghost stuff, like say I know Poltergeist is a well regarded movie but eh, I didn't care for it. And that's like, the best of that sort of thing. 

But eh, there's some charm at least to crappy b horror movies of the past, but nowadays cheap factory made horror films might be the worst thing coming out of the industry, like you can't even find fun in the ineptness anymore because they don't even try.

I noticed you mentioned Vincent Price and I should probably watch some of his movies I haven't yet, I enjoyed Theatre of Blood and Masque of the Red Death a lot.

I just watched The King of Staten Island with Pete Davidson. I enjoyed it. I always love Judd Apatow films, and Pete is definitely one of the funnier cast members on SNL, so it turned out very well. I also love Bill Burr, he's hysterical. Good acting, good delivery, and good jokes. If you like comedy films, it's a must see. Also, Judd Apatow made Knocked Up, Anchorman, Superbad, The 40 Year Old Virgin, and Pineapple Express. So all of his movies are basically gold (except for Anchorman 2, steer clear from that one). I recommend it. It also has a pretty good cast. 

9 minutes ago, hybridial said:

Kinda the same as me pretty much, although the thing with horror is good horror movies are like my favourite thing, but bad horror movies are 99.9% of horror movies. 

But eh, there's some charm at least to crappy b horror movies of the past, but nowadays cheap factory made horror films might be the worst thing coming out of the industry, like you can't even find fun in the ineptness anymore because they don't even try.

I noticed you mentioned Vincent Price and I should probably watch some of his movies I haven't yet, I enjoyed Theatre of Blood and Masque of the Red Death a lot.

Yeah, they're pretty nice, especially the Dr. Phibes duology. House on Haunted Hill was also good but I find that movie a bit undercooked, for its premise one hour and fifteen minutes just isn't enough in my opinion, and ends too soon after suspense settles in. When I thought the real epic shit was going to go down, it actually ended. If it had 30 more minutes or even one hour going for it, I think it would've been just brilliant.

Besides, sir Price was quite charming, he's actually the reason I got interested in his movies.

As for modern horror movies, yeah, it does look like they're not even trying anymore. I've said it before but horror movies nowadays are like zombies in media, all life was sucked out of them, it's lifeless and without any sort of substance. Goodbye the days of Alien, The Exorcist, the first Evil Dead movies, and so on, and it's the actual writing that's the issue, with modern tech they could do some seriously horrific stuff visually at least, but they don't.

57 minutes ago, seed said:

When it comes to comedy, sitcoms, and related stuff, my jam tends to be the likes of the Addams Family, there's reasons for why I love that stuff after all.

Addams Family is my get go for laugh ride non stop.

The show was really fun, and the movies, at least for me, were amazing. Probably my most beloved comedy films. Raul Julia and Angelica Huston were so inmersed on their roles that is hard to watch them on other film and don't compare to their acting on this films. Christopher Lloyd's Fester is a great showcase of how good actor this man was when he was younger.

56 minutes ago, seed said:

Goodbye the days of Alien, The Exorcist, the first Evil Dead movies, and so on, and it's the actual writing that's the issue, with modern tech they could do some seriously horrific stuff visually at least, but they don't.

The ironic thing is I feel one of, maybe even the most effective movie I've ever seen just in terms of being scary and unnerving,  is Black Christmas. A movie in which they didn't even show the killer's face. 

And if you want to know how shit the genre's become you got your pick of two absolutely god awful remakes, that are I guess interesting only in how different they are at being shit. 

51 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Addams Family is my get go for laugh ride non stop.

The show was really fun, and the movies, at least for me, were amazing. Probably my most beloved comedy films. Raul Julia and Angelica Huston were so inmersed on their roles that is hard to watch them on other film and don't compare to their acting on this films. Christopher Lloyd's Fester is a great showcase of how good actor this man was when he was younger.

Lloyd is still great, but yeah his take on Fester was brilliant, and also the most sinister to date.

The cast was good in most Addams series and movies though, including the underrated '90s TV reboot which suffered from a lower budget at times, and was a bit too corny at others, but was still nice overall. The '90s series also greatly expanded the children's roles, like damn, Nicole Fugere was a beast as Wednesday lol, although not quite my favorite in the role overall. Betty Philips was my favorite in Grandmama's role in this series though. 

Julia and Astin are my favorite actors playing Gomez, but Carolyn is pretty much my definitive actor for Morticia, I'd love to see Christina Ricci in her role one day, though, I think she'd be just as good as her and would nail the looks too, as we've seen in some fan art that emerged a while ago.

40 minutes ago, hybridial said:

And if you want to know how shit the genre's become you got your pick of two absolutely god awful remakes, that are I guess interesting only in how different they are at being shit. 

Haha, no, I usually don't go out of my way to purposefully watch crap, even though it can be entertaining sometimes.

Edited by seed

I don't watch new movies really, the most recently released film I've seen is Bohemian Rhapsody. I'll watch Lupin III: The First when it eventually releases in the States, hopefully in theaters but if it gets dumped to Blu Ray that's fine too (I'd probably be getting it on Blu Ray either way).

Honestly, the movie I've most recently seen for the first time might be The Muppet Movie, and I watched that in my dorm with my roommate so it's been at least like five months since then (we were sent home and put online in March).

On 6/13/2020 at 5:06 AM, dr_st said:

Never heard anyone say that. Are you sure it's not a fringe opinion? It's really nothing like Doom at all. Who are "the many" that seem to consider it?

I've honestly heard it compared to Doom constantly since I joined this site in 2001, same year as you. It's either compared to Aliens, or Event Horizon, and I've never seen the comparison to Doom in either movie. They're good movies, but I've never understood the Doom comparison to Event Horizon. Maybe Doom 3, kind of; but I've certainly seen it compared to it many times, and I've never understood why.

Last movie I watched was 1917. Good movie, I really enjoyed the camera work, and how it was pretty much all shot in one frame. That's difficult to do, but they pulled it off. And it was enjoyable, suspenseful, and you don't really see too many World War 1 movies. World War 2 is all over the place. Which makes sense, because it's the worst fucking war the world has ever seen. But seeing a World War 1 movie is a different experience. I would recommend it; it was filmed extremely well; and despite the fact that it's a movie about men killing each other over nothing really, it's enjoyable; the acting is great, the cinematography is great, everything is just very good and by to books about making a good movie. There's absolutely nothing I can complain about.

watched 4 Highlander movies yesterday. Skipped the second one because the other ones also pretend it didn't exist.

Highlander, the original, is still a great movie with an awesome soundtrack.

Highlander III - the sorcerer, is not as bad as people say, not as good as the first one but still entertaining and with some decent action.

Highlander IV - Endgame, I give it some respect because it tried to bridge the series with the first movie (maybe also the third, it isn't explicit 3 happend or not). It's not completely terrible but it requires a bit of.. stretching to make the two worlds coexist.

Highlander V - The Source, however sucks. A lot. It makes no sense, the bad guy is ridiculous, and they managed to butcher the princes of the universe song!

I still have 2 and the anime movie to see, another day.

3 hours ago, kalaeth said:

Highlander III - the sorcerer, is not as bad as people say, not as good as the first one but still entertaining and with some decent action.

Highlander 3 is alright, but it does have a hilarious moment in there that always cracks me up when I see it.

I saw the movie “Outland” from 1981. I really liked it. Basically High Noon in outer space with Sean Connery packing a 12ga. 

On 8/31/2020 at 10:08 PM, Gerolf said:

I saw the movie “Outland” from 1981. I really liked it. Basically High Noon in outer space with Sean Connery packing a 12ga. 

But can it compare to Sean Connery in Zardoz? I've always enjoyed his acting, and his performance in movies. He is an iconic actor who always brings his best to the table. But after watching Zardoz, this is all I can think of when I see him.

zardoz-12.jpg

33 minutes ago, Jello said:

But can it compare to Sean Connery in Zardoz? I've always enjoyed his acting, and his performance in movies. He is an iconic actor who always brings his best to the table. But after watching Zardoz, this is all I can think of when I see him.

zardoz-12.jpg

I've been meaning to watch this movie for years but have never had the guts to just go and do it. One of this days, I'll find out why the gun is good.

16 minutes ago, kalaeth said:

I've been meaning to watch this movie for years but have never had the guts to just go and do it. One of this days, I'll find out why the gun is good.

Just go ahead and watch it. It's just such a ridiculous movie; but it's fun in a way that a bad movie from the 70's is good. And the gun is good. The penis is evil, because it shoots seeds to poison the Earth with the plague of Man. The gun shoots death, and purifies the world of Brutals. Go forth, and kill!

If you've been meaning to watch it, just watch it. It's just so ridiculous that it deserves a watch; it's not something that will poison your brain. Most of the time you'll be laughing your ass off at how ridiculous it is, or laughing your ass off at how the film actually got made, and got Sean Connery cast in it. It's a fun movie, but it's a bad movie. But it's really fun to watch.

VHS cartoon movie night with some friends, we watched these 4:

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Beauty and the Beast

Help! I'm a Fish

Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses

Thought the Beast looked like Guybrush Threepwood, and my friends had never heard of Monkey Island when I told them about the resemblance of the two characters! Was pretty fun to see the first two movies again, and was pretty fun to see the last two movies for the first time. Barbie movie had pretty stiff 3d animation, but the story and the music was nice.

The Vast of Night was a nice understated scifi movie, thought the twilight zone bookending motif was a charming nod.

I saw the original "The Amityville Horror". This old-ish film from the 1970s has a great cast, is well written (for the time period it's from), an an awesome style. The pace of the movie isn't really too quick, and the ending is kind of unique as compared to movies of the present day.
 There are points in this movie where my anger for a more bloody and violent direction sticks out as the part that's obvious and maybe "played out". It's very reminiscent of scare tactics of old high school drug films like "Go Ask Alice". It has a great Christian-Religious hook that is comparable with hits like "The Exorcist"; No wearing a rubber with your girlfriend after you see it.
 You could just imagine taking your date to a drive-in to see this "horror" movie in the 1970s. That's before highway emissions standards and big heavy chassis. Her kid is in the back seat of your Chevy, and you're praying he doesn't crap in his pants.

I say see this movie, it's "Out of Sight". Keep on Truckin'.