Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureSlime

Most recent movie you saw

So I finally watched Monty Python and The Holy Grail, but I cannot say that I enjoyed it... or even hated it, for that matter.

I got the jokes, many of them I was already familiar and found funny due to being referenced so much, but here, none of them made me laugh. As such, I have spent the whole movie staring at the screen with a blank expression on my face. There is just something about the execution that made the jokes and gags not work for me. Maybe it is the production values or the performances, I do not know.

Edited by Rudolph

5 hours ago, Rudolph said:

So I finally watched Monty Python and The Holy Grail, but I cannot say that I enjoyed it... or even hated it, for that matter.

I got the jokes, many of them I was already familiar and found funny due to being referenced so much, but here, none of them made me laugh. As such, I have spent the whole movie staring at the screen with a blank expression on my face. There is just something about the execution that made the jokes and gags not work for me. Maybe it is the production values or the performances, I do not know.

I think the internet may have ruined it for you. The random jokes and absurdity of everything has been run into the ground. There's all this whacky crazy look at me shit all over, that it gets boring. I still think it's hilarious, but I can see how it's been aped and imitated for so long probably ruins the experience. Which sucks. And it's absolutely not the performances, never ever say that again. The members of Monty Python were Gods among men. So much humor in this world would not exist without their creativity and witticism. 

But I can see someone younger, who's seen the killer rabbit, and the black knight, and all the memes so many times, wouldn't find it that funny. Or maybe someone broke your funny bone, because I still laugh when I watch it.

That being said, the last movie I watched was Jurassic World: Dominion. It gets a very strong 'meh' from me. My best compliment is that it might be slightly more watchable than Jurassic Park 3, but even that's a stretch. I liked Jurassic World just fine, it was a refreshing movie coming so many years after 3 and actually being enjoyable. But they need to stop making sequel after sequel and then prequel and then sequel to these series just because they made some money. They found oil, and they just keep digging until they hit magma and burn.

5 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Ni!

It’s the sound of the plasma gun in the original version of Kansam’s trial.

I just watched both Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider movies back to back for the first time. I actually quite enjoyed them, they reminded me a lot of the Resident Evil movies. I liked the first one more because there was more actual tomb raiding going on and the practical effects used were awesome. Also Daniel Craig was in the first one which I was not expecting.

6 hours ago, Jello said:

I think the internet may have ruined it for you.

No, no, see, I get that from every Monty Python movie/skit I see, including those I am not familiar with: I get the jokes, but it just does not make me laugh. In contrast, Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged, for instance, makes a lot of references to the Monty Python, yet the show still makes me laugh or at least smile. The same goes with Kung-Pow: Enter The Fist. Again, I am not saying the Monthy Python sucked or that the jokes are not clever: I do appreciate them, but they just do not produce the desired effect on me.

And yes, the performances might have played a factor in my non-enjoyment: too many times, I have found myself wishing that the movie had played it straight and been an actual, albeit light-hearted, adventure movie, as Graham Chapman is honestly quite compelling as King Arthur, the fight choreography between the Black Knight and his initial opponent is nice, and so are the (serious) music and the oftentimes spectacular production values. As such, the movie never looks or feels quite as campy as, say, a Mel Brooks comedy and I could not help but feel like it is all wasted on a bunch of random skits that literally do not go anywhere, like some sort of cruel joke at my expense.

Edited by Rudolph

On 8/21/2022 at 5:26 PM, Rudolph said:

Speaking of which, I came across this essay about the creature's unfortunate commodification by pop culture. 

That is not to say that you are wrong for liking its depictions (I happen to like Until Dawn very much myself), but it is an interesting read.

It's a relief that I'm not wrong for liking the various depictions of the Wendigo. Phewh! Unfortunately, the essay about the unfortunate commodification by pop culture is not working and I would like to read it. 

Try this one: https://openjournals.bsu.edu/dlr/article/download/DLR.7.0.101-112/1771/5267

Basically, the creature is something deeply personal and important for quite a few First Nations, which makes the way it has been reduced to just a scary cannibalistic monster who preys on random white people rather distasteful.

Again, I love Until Dawn and the monster named after the mythological creature is easily one of the most memorable aspects about DUSK, but the author of this paper and by extent the First Nations activists who have been raising awareness about the issue do have a point.

Edited by Rudolph

I saw "Bullet Train" with some cousins a few days back. It was the first time I got to sit in those fancy theatres, the ones where you get to sit in those reclining chairs and it doesn't smell like perpetual stink masked by chlorine. It was very fun and was the first time I actually rooted for the "quirky" protagonists. The movie made it very obvious that a world where criminals ran amok would be very goofy. Every death felt like it was building up to another one and made the final death poetic and much deserved. My friends were very squeamish, but they said it was pretty fun despite all the gore.

Finally watched Sorry to Bother You. Very weird and funny and smart. Highly relevant and cathartic for anyone who has ever had a job or paid rent.

Night of the Running Man. It's a fairly standard thriller and gets a little ridiculous to see how professionals can be overcome by regular people. Scott Glenn's performance as the hitman is quite chilling though. It might almost make the movie worth it. Andrew McCarthy and John Glover were ok too in their roles.

8 hours ago, Rudolph said:

@Remilia Scarlet Ah yes, the sequel to Robo-Jox. Not good?

It's not actually a sequel. It's just produced by the same person, and has one of the same actors. And giant robots.

It was not good ._. I didn't realize it had been on MST3K before watching it.

2 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Shame. Robo-Jox was not too good either, but the effects look cool.

Oh I love Robot Jox and have ever since I was a kid. It's cheesy and dated, but it has a special place in my heart. It's also objectively better written than Robot Wars lol

Thor: Love and Thunder, first cinema trip since Star Wars 9, was just something to do when it was too hot outdoors. It was OK, funny but really silly even compared to some of the other comedic Marvel films. Worth a watch but wait for Disney+ release unless your a die hard Thor fan, probably won't be long anyway.

PREY. I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed it. Considering how the last predator movie was I did not have high hopes. If you don't mind subtitles then the Camanche dub is the better way to watch it in my opinion, wish they had filmed it in Camanche and dubbed in English but such is the film industry.

Rewatched the 2008 miniseries adaptation of The Andromeda Strain.  I like the 1971 film better and think it's production was much better overall, but I don't dislike the 2008 version, either.  I guess I accept it for what it is: "made for TV".

870x489_ujf_-_1080x1920.jpg

She’s Jewish in France during WWII and she tries to live.

Edited by ducon

Rewatched the first Austin Powers for the first time in years.

Still so funny. An absolute unapologetic product of 90’s culture. 
YEAH BABY!!!!