Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureSlime

Most recent movie you saw

Binged through Farscape, but unfortunately, Tubi.tv does not seem to have The Peacekeeper Wars, so I have to leave the series there for the time being.

What a terrible way to end the season, still; not just because it proved to be a problem once the show got cancelled, but also because it happens so suddenly and without any foreshadowing that it feels downright random. Season 4 should have ended on Crichton proposing to Aeryn and the whole cliffhanger should have been moved to the beginning of Season 5's first episode. 

Ju-On and Ju-On 2, I actually had not seen those two since my stay in the hospital when I was 10. Man they're as terrifying as I remembered.

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

I watched Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2 with my son a couple days before Halloween.

Which one did he prefer?

All Quiet on the Western Front. Good, hard to watch movie.

Were young German kids really so fucking STOKED to go to war back then? Like, I've seldom been as excited about *anything* in my entire life as they were to ship off to war.

I can't possibly imagine. Perhaps the propaganda back then worked more than I realized.

19 minutes ago, Serum said:

Were young German kids really so fucking STOKED to go to war back then? Like, I've seldom been as excited about *anything* in my entire life as they were to ship off to war.

I can't possibly imagine. Perhaps the propaganda back then worked more than I realized.

Well, way too many people were reportedly stoked to enlist in the US military to fight the so-called "War on Terror" and take part in the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, so it is not too difficult to imagine how the same could have been done to the German youth of the time.

6 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Well, way too many people were reportedly stoked to enlist in the US military to fight the so-called "War on Terror" and take part in the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, so it is not too difficult to imagine how the same could have been done to the German youth of the time.

I think it was more so their enthusiasm despite the conditions of warfare in WW1 that surprised me. Trench warfare was infamously some of the worst warfare humanity has gone through. Perhaps that fact somehow eluded them or was hidden from them

2 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Pontypool. Kind of funny indie-ish zombie movie.

Spoiler

I did not really like it, but I do like that the characters end up trying to speak French to avoid being infected. :P

3 minutes ago, Serum said:

Perhaps that fact somehow eluded them or was hidden from them

Most likely. Military propaganda tends to gloss over the less glamourous aspects of warfare and, in WW1's case, that there was nothing heroic about it.

Other WW1 movies I would recommend are Stanley Kubrick's Paths of Glory and Jean-Pierre Jeunet's A Very Long Engagement.

Just got done watching Rollerball, the original 1975 movie, not John McTiernan's career-ruining disaster of a remake.

It is not bad: the movie comes to a screeching halt during the exposition scenes, which are very boring and tend to be overly didactic, but the rollerball ones are visceral and riveting. I can also see why the studios originally wanted to cast James Caan as Rocky in the eponymous movie.

On 11/10/2022 at 12:57 PM, Serum said:

I watched that the other day, certainly a very good film and probably the best made WW1 film I've seen over the years. 1917 was a good watch as well although not quite in the same league.

2 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Just got done watching Rollerball, the original 1975 movie, not John McTiernan's career-ruining disaster of a remake.

It is not bad: the movie comes to a screeching halt during the exposition scenes, which are very boring and tend to be overly didactic, but the rollerball ones are visceral and riveting. I can also see why the studios originally wanted to cast James Caan as Rocky in the eponymous movie.

That looks pretty interesting I have to say, I dare say it's cheesy as fuck these days, but I will keep an eye out for it. Parts of that film were filmed about 40/45-minute drive from house and as it happens, I can say the same for parts of 1917 as well.

Most recent: Nightmare Before Christmas. Most recent that I haven't seen before: Barbarian and Smile

Granted, I've maybe seen NBC like once and hardly remember it, it was good fun to watch it again the day after Halloween with my sister. Sorta the same type of ritual as watching The Grinch Stole Christmas for the holidays.

While I don't usually go for horror, I took a shot on both Barbarian and Smile. Barbarian was less horrifying and more disturbing conceptually, while Smile was horrifying both for its concept, jumpscares and overall message. That being said, and how I'm usually not one for horror, I would absolutely recommend both. Barbarian sorta stretches into cheesy territory, but has an interesting story to tell, and Smile is worth it just for the pure shock and terror as well as the overarching moral of "trauma will follow you."

Finally got the opportunity to watch An American Werewolf In London.

Good movie, despite being written and directed by John Landis, the piece of shit director who killed actor Vic Morrow and two young children.

3 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Good movie, despite being written and directed by John Landis, the piece of shit director who killed actor Vic Morrow and two young children.

Wasn't that some sort of freak accident with the pyrotechnics and stuff? Admittedly haven't researched much on the subject, but I did come to know about what happened while investigating about Brandon Lee's death and coming across an article featuring other similar accidents during filmmaking. One thing that is definitely gross is that the footage where Vic Morrow and the kids die has surfaced onto the Internet, when I think it should have been destroyed or at least kept away from the public.

42 minutes ago, MrFroz said:

Wasn't that some sort of freak accident with the pyrotechnics and stuff? Admittedly haven't researched much on the subject, but I did come to know about what happened while investigating about Brandon Lee's death and coming across an article featuring other similar accidents during filmmaking. One thing that is definitely gross is that the footage where Vic Morrow and the kids die has surfaced onto the Internet, when I think it should have been destroyed or at least kept away from the public.

Not so much a freak accident as gross negligence from John Landis, as it became increasingly clear during filming that something bad was going to happen, but the director was too full of himself to take the hint and had too much control over the production to take no for an answer. The Behind The Bastards podcast dedicated a two-part episode on the matter as well as the other shitty things John Landis did, which includes giving us Max Landis.

Still, "An American Werewolf In London" is a solid horror comedy film, so I do not think there is any harm in giving it a watch.

Edited by Rudolph

I watched "Weird: The Al Yankovic Story" last night, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a nice lighthearted film about one of America's Sweethearts, and it far exceeded my expectations. I haven't listened to Weird Al since the mid to maybe late 90's, but he was a funny part of my childhood; and every time he shows up in anything I crack a smile.

So originally I thought it might be a semi-serious biopic, but I read a few things about it and realized that wasn't true. Daniel Radcliffe certainly wouldn't be my first choice to play Al. So I figured it might be a bit, hyperbolic, and I was wrong, it goes beyond that. The absurdity of it was wonderfully amusing. I'm relatively certain you would either have had to grow up somewhere in the timeframe that it takes place, or be a huge Weird Al fan to like it. The twisting of stories, the bombastic nature, the pure egotism that's on display is fascinating. And then you remember it's Weird Al, so all of this larger than life joking makes perfect sense.

I really enjoyed it, and it's the first movie I've watched in a long time that I really just enjoyed. It was heart-warming.

The Batman, as an in-flight movie. I made the mistake of watching Jurassic World 3 first, I love comics but most comic book movies have been kinda boring action fests and I remembered the actor from the shitty Twilight movies my daughter used to watch. So I assumed it would be pretty crap but it's hands down the best, most authentic feeling Batman movie ever. Yes even better than Dark Knight! Because I watched Jurassic park first though, I landed 25mins before the end, gotta watch the rest.

6 minutes ago, Wyrmwood said:

So I assumed it would be pretty crap but it's hands down the best, most authentic feeling Batman movie ever. Yes even better than Dark Knight! 

As someone who likes Batman quite a bit, I felt the same way. I actually feel though Nolan's movies were certainly not bad, but this newer movie felt more authentic to the Batman I really like. I mean, the character has existed for so long and changed so much, but to me the Animated Series Batman was what I grew up with and I think The Batman (I do wish it had a different name frankly) felt reflective of the spirit even if Robert Pattinson had quite a different presence to him. He was good though, really good. 

Mask of the Phantasm is still the best for me but The Batman lands close to it. 

I saw the original WarGames with Matthew Broderick.

Not bad, although the plot and its now-iconic final twist feel a lot more clever on paper than in execution, which honestly could be summed up to "Ferris Bueller Tries To Prevent Global Thermonuclear Warfare". Yes, I know Ferris Bueller's Day Off came out three years after WarGames, but once you notice the similarities between the two protagonists played by Matthew Broderick, you just cannot unsee them.

I watched Appleseed Alpha on Netflix. Not bad but could've been a lot better, especially in the story department so it's not the most interesting story for sure. The action is fun and the art direction / CGI is very well done. Just something to watch on a rainy day. Mindless eye-candy sometimes can be a good thing. ;) I would probably never watch it again.

It is weird how despite being from the same author as Ghost in the Shell and having a similar tone and protagonist, Appleseed as a franchise has never been able to reach the same amount of quality, let alone popularity. I mean, Appleseed Ex Machina was produced by John Woo of all people!

Finally saw Thelma & Louise. It was good and I can see why it is considered a classic.

However, I did not know both Brad Pitt and Michael Madsen were in it.