Most recent movie you saw

Just finished watching Falling Down. A great movie starring Michael Douglas. YOU FORGOT THE BRIEFCASE.

2 people like this

Falling Down was great. Been a decade since I've seen it.

As for me...

NO ESCAPE with Owen Wilson was the last movie I watched. It was great. In a sea of PG action movies it managed to bring some freshness with a rated R family move to Asia gone wrong as Owen Wilson's family gets in the middle of a violent coupe in an Asian country where Americans are just killed. Owen, his plain wife and 2 daughters must survive. Oh and Pierce Brosnon is in it and he play's Mortal Kombat's Kano. It was well worth a watch even if apparently people hated it for being so xenophobic. As in all Asians must want to kill Americans... they didn't pay attention. There were a few countrymen that just didn't care about Owen or his family, but I'm sure its every American's worst nightmare to just get sent overseas to a country where they don't speak the language oh and by the way they want to kill you.

Speaking of movies filmed in Asia for Americans to watch... I gave Okja a try... I made it 30 minutes. It was as predictable as I thought going in. Maybe it gets better. Its a kid's movie rated TV-MA. Jake Gillenhaurdtospell makes the movie far more watchable.

Edited by geo
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Watched a couple more over the weekend:

Breakheart Pass, featuring Charles Bronson, Richard Crenna, and Jill Ireland. Based on Alistair MacLean's novel, the movie is set in post-Civil War era California, and is full of intrigue and murder and action. Recommended for fans of Westerns.

Star Trek Beyond, featuring the usual suspects. While the general plot was exciting, and the special effects were spectacular (the nacelles on NCC-1701 actually breaking off? Wow!), the villain's motives were, how to put this kindly? Lame. If you're a Trekkie, you've probably already watched this movie. If you're a sci-fi movie fan, you may have considered watching it. Go ahead and do it; you'll probably enjoy it, but as for me, the ending left me somewhat disappointed.

The Void. It's in the same vein as movies like The Thing, In The Mouth of Madness, and Event Horizon, the kinds of movies that are rarely made anymore. 

1 person likes this

I watched The Founder. One thing I really enjoyed about this movie is that it made me laugh quite a bit without really even trying to be funny. It was hard not to get swept up by Michael Keaton's performance as Ray Kroc, and hard not to admire the man's determination and business acumen, but on the other hand the guy was a slimeball who screwed the McDonald brothers out of 100 million dollars, and then ran their renamed burger restaurant out of business. A damn great movie overall. 

Star Trek Beyond, featuring the usual suspects. While the general plot was exciting, and the special effects were spectacular (the nacelles on NCC-1701 actually breaking off? Wow!), the villain's motives were, how to put this kindly? Lame. If you're a Trekkie, you've probably already watched this movie. If you're a sci-fi movie fan, you may have considered watching it. Go ahead and do it; you'll probably enjoy it, but as for me, the ending left me somewhat disappointed.

Thought it was absolutely terrible and by far one of the worst Star Trek movies (most of which are fairly good). Not a damn thing original, interesting or exciting about it. I'm baffled as to why critics enjoyed it so much. 

Edited by Ajora

Posted (edited)

Apologies for the unintended double post. Here's a puppy named Bingley to make up for it. 

69bcfb2ff82846fbc347c33988e0da42--so-cut

Edited by Ajora
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

55 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Apologies for the unintended double post. Here's a puppy named Bingley to make up for it. 

69bcfb2ff82846fbc347c33988e0da42--so-cut

Thread suddenly morphs into the cute puppy thread!

I continued my lounge-about movie day.

Logan - Not a typical super-hero movie at all. Heart-wrenching and incredibly violent. I will miss these actors in their respective roles in the X-Men cast, but if they have to go, this is the performance to see them out with.

Here Alone - A zombie apocalypse movie that isn't about the zombies. Another tragic tale regarding the particulars of the protagonist's loss of her family and survival there-after.

Spoiler

She inadvertently exposes her infant daughter to the zombie infection and poisons her before the infection takes full effect. I forgot I was watching a fictional movie for a minute, I can't even imagine dealing with such circumstances.

BAD SANTA 2 is hilarious if you're into raunchy humor. I was surprised Kathy Bates could be such a scumbag and the fact that Santa could stand up to her acting talent.

VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA is something Netflix recommended to me as they know I have now seen every Star Trek and submarine movie.... so why not take me to a cinema before my time? I was amazed at how watchable this movie is. Usually movies before my time are just undesirable to me. This was the Star Trek (Original Series) of submarine movies. I dare say that it jump started Star Trek as they explore an alien, underwater world, they surface and the sky is red due to some ring of radiation. So its like a cross between Star Trek (TOS) and the Twilight Zone. The biggest budget sci-fi adventure by the standard of 55+ years ago is just laughable now. With that out of the way they do a great job of ratcheting up the tension as one man wants to save the earth by doing something, another wants to save it by not doing something. While its like there are 2 sides of do something or not do something, everyone seems to have their own agendas on how to accomplish either doing something or not doing something.

THE STANFORD EXPERIMENT is another retelling of the real life prison experiment where a psychologiest hires 18 college kids with 9 of them as prisoners and 9 of them as prison guards. I had seen the one with Forest Whitaker and Adrian Brody so I was expecting something worse. This is its own tale and just as good. Its another movie that amps up the tension as the 2 hours rolls on.

I opted to read up on the actual Stanford Prison Experiment and from the Wikipedia page it seems this movie is accurate enough. I'd say more than the other "The Experiment" movie.

Edited by geo