Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureSlime

Most recent movie you saw

I watched "The House of Domovoy". It was only about an hour long. The audio was Terrible© in parts, and its vision seemed a little muddy(real mud!) due to it being a Culture Shocked foreign film. You might ask why you would stop and watch such an Independent(TM) looking movie. It had amazing style, and was a really cool trip out, kind of like Russian Pink Floyd. If you like Horror movies, the horror part, it was a real Trip. Spooky atmosphere and good use of insanity with a nice touch of religious effect. Jesus!

If you like Really Bad(TM) movies, like Tromaville, you would probably like this one. I think it went over better than, say "Dumpster Baby", but that might just be because I like Russian movies. And movies like "Toxic Avenger" one time became Saturday Morning Cartoons, and how "low budget" a production looks.

I liked it, I really did. It was not The Complete $hi7 I've been dreaming of. Where is this Total $hi7 ? 

I watched the aliens movies for the first time. There pretty damn good!

Oh wow my thread from almost three years ago is still going.

Most recent movie I saw was Captain Marvel. Liked it quite a bit. Think it's one of the stronger entries in the MCU. I'm not sure if that's a high bar though, since most of the films in the series are "good enough" imo.

^ Wait that movie is out :O?

Also the last movie i saw was Bird Box :X

On 3/17/2019 at 1:59 AM, Hellbent said:

Blackfish. And then I googled orca brain imaging and found this article: http://greymattersjournal.com/killer-whales-are-non-human-persons/

and then I stumbled upon this video: 

And now my whole world is changed. Save the whales indeed....

That rises a question to me. Were they merely just playing with him/her or actually playing with their prey before eating them?

Posted (edited)

Venom, after missing it in theaters back when it first came out.

So, I think it's alright, and Bane does a great job playing Venom (if you know what I mean). But it does have its problems, the most obvious being the fact that the whole movie looks like it's rushing somewhere, which is why it doesn't make any in-depth analysis of any character, there's nothing you can say about anyone, not even Eddie. It's very straight-to-the-point. Origins story? Done, moving on. Main villain? Done, defeated, moving on.

The origins are fucked up, yes, but there's nothing Sony could possibly do since they don't own the rights to Spider-Man (and vice versa). Disney should get the rights back to Venom... The sequel will likely have screwed up origins for Carnage as well, if they would go for comic book accuracy a part of the movie will have to spend time putting Eddie into a jail, him meeting Cletus there, then escape, and for one movie, it would probably look like it just wants to get stuff out of the way for a second time. Or they could just have it longer, but, I dunno... I'm glad those idiots screaming "you can't have a Venom movie without Spider-Man" at the wall have vanished in the meantime. A correct approach would be "not being able to have a good origin story without the other" (wouldn't be surprised if those people never opened a comic book).

Otherwise, it was decent, and the symbiote's CGI was great. Now let's see what they do with the sequel.

US wow such a bat shit crazy horror movie that feels like a Twilight Zone episode I don't even want to ruin it by telling you the plot. It walks the line between enjoyable comedy, horror, and cringe worthy comedy and cringe worthy horror all at the same time.

ACE VENTURA is the first time I've seen it in like a decade. I loved the movie and I've seen it countless times, but wow it's so painful to watch now. The character is just so out of place in the real world.

KINGPIN is still awesome.

Captain Marvel, which I enjoyed a lot.  Off to see Fighting with my Family tonight.

Posted (edited)

I watched The Coneheads two nights ago. It's been probably 20 years since I saw it last. And you know, I actually think it's still a funny movie. Dan Aykroyd knows comedy. Sure it's a little dated, but I laughed at it. The only reason I watched it was because I was listening to Golden Age of the Grotesque (which I still think is a solid album, it's not Antichrist Superstar, but I think Tim Sköld really helped create an interesting and unique sound on it), and Manson covered Tainted Love, which made me think of The Coneheads. 

There's quite a few shitty movies based off of SNL sketches, but I think Wayne's World, The Coneheads, and Macgruber are still pretty funny. 

I watched Roman J. Israel, Esq., a legal drama starring Denzel Washington. A complex movie with an unusual plot and problems which makes most of Washington's acting skills. I am genuinely surprised it has “mixed reviews.”

Posted (edited)

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Cheese and crackers, most of this movie kinda sucked. A lot of it felt less like a Harry Potter movie and more like a teen soap opera. So many subplots that went absolutely nowhere and often ended as soon as they started. What was the point of that whole ballroom dance subplot, and what the hell does Hermione see in Ron? Ron was kind of an asshole throughout most of this. Surprisingly, this movie became really good roughly 80% of the way through and kept its momentum going through to the very end. Less kooky characters, meandering subplots, and forced romance and more blood sacrifices, killer mermaids, dragons, black magic, and apocalyptic wizard battles to the death, please. 

I'm guessing Harry is going to continue to not tell anyone that Lucius Malfoy is a servant of "you know who" and doing so will inevitably bite him really hard in the ass.

Watching "Love, Death and Robots" right now. Highly recommended. A collection of 18 short stories (around 15 minutes in length each) with mostly gorgeous computer animation and very adult subject matter.

Us.
Creepy doplegangers kill lots of people.
It's fine, scares enough, few icky moments but a finale twist which you knew was coming from 3mins into the film let it down a touch.
Never really becomes super tense and sometimes it felt comedic too far.

Stargate, love that movie, kicked of Stargate SG1 that I watched a lot of as a kid, SG Atlantis was alright but SG Universe was total shit.
Either way, Stargate is an awesome movie and if you're looking for a good spin off show, SG1 is pretty good too.

On 3/28/2019 at 4:01 PM, wolfmcbeard said:

Stargate, love that movie, kicked of Stargate SG1 that I watched a lot of as a kid, SG Atlantis was alright but SG Universe was total shit.
Either way, Stargate is an awesome movie and if you're looking for a good spin off show, SG1 is pretty good too.

I remember watching Stargate SG1 with my dad once in a while. It was a good show. I used to have the Stargate movie on VHS but i don't anymore. Great movie from what i remember.

Anyway's the last movie i watched was some more Star Trek stuff: Star Trek: Insurrection which i liked quite a bit. It seemed a tad slow in certain spots but i didn't mind that. I quite liked the story. It was definitely better then Generations (i don't mind that movie but i think it could have been a lot better) and to me it was probably on par with First Contact (from what i can remember ;) . I won't explain the story so i don't spoil anything (even though it is from 1998).

Next up is ST: Nemesis, the only one that i own on DVD. It even comes with some special shaped CD-Rom. Not sure if it works or not. I'll try it though. But yeah, i had to watch the others Star Trek movies online. Not download them, just stream them since Netflix doesn't have them. They have all of the show's yet they don't have the movies...i don't get it. I still plan on buying the movies at some point though, when i can start feeling better and get the hell out of the house (i don't see that being anytime soon though).

I watched "The Player" from 1992. I'm not a film person but it's kind of funny in the way Coen Bros. films are. The opening shot is 8 minutes long or so, the film seems to have a lot going for it in the visuals department. The title transition honestly made me think it was older - like from the early 80's. It's such a pretty film.

I watched Evil Dead (2013). I'm a newcomer to Evil Dead, and I found it to be a little bit different than what I expected it to be, but still cool. I had good visual style, and fresh acting, and a good amount of gore. The story also had several interesting elements, even if it seemed a little disconnected. Uhm, not exactly engrossing. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll leave it at that.

I recommend Evil Dead (2013) from a 'Evil Dead Newbie" point of view.

Posted (edited)

Watched Event Horizon in it's entirety a few days ago. I've seen bits and pieces of it, and there are people around this site that say it's the most Doom-like movie ever made. I really don't see that. It's not a bad movie, but it's not great. It's good. But it doesn't strike me as a Doom movie. It's more of a Silent Hill in space; it relies more on psychological terror than physical threats.

But yeah, it's not a bad movie. I enjoyed it, but it's not a Doom movie; you could argue that it would make a good precursor to a Doom movie, but it's not Doom. The only other problem I had with it is that I always think of Cowboy Curtis when I see Laurence Fishburne. He's a great actor, and he generally delivers a fantastic performance... but to me he'll always be Cowboy Curtis.

11 hours ago, Jello said:

Watched Event Horizon in it's entirety a few days ago. I've seen bits and pieces of it, and there are people around this site that say it's the most Doom-like movie ever made. I really don't see that. It's not a bad movie, but it's not great. It's good. But it doesn't strike me as a Doom movie. It's more of a Silent Hill in space; it relies more on psychological terror than physical threats.

But yeah, it's not a bad movie. I enjoyed it, but it's not a Doom movie; you could argue that it would make a good precursor to a Doom movie, but it's not Doom. The only other problem I had with it is that I always think of Cowboy Curtis when I see Laurence Fishburne. He's a great actor, and he generally delivers a fantastic performance... but to me he'll always be Cowboy Curtis.

I always felt Screamers was the most Doom like movie ever made. I don't see Event Horizon being like Doom. Maybe Hell Raiser in space or something. I still like it.

Watched Stalker (1979) by Andrei Tarkovsky. Instantly fell in love with it. I imagine younger viewers will find it boring (nearly 3 hours long, with a very slow pace), but the visuals and the philosophical arguments make it great. Really recommended. I'm looking forward to watching some of Tarkovsky's other pictures (apart from Mirror, which I've already seen). 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, geo said:

I always felt Screamers was the most Doom like movie ever made. I don't see Event Horizon being like Doom. Maybe Hell Raiser in space or something. I still like it.

So... Hellraiser: Bloodlines? Actually that's more of what it reminded me of, Hellraiser 2 but in space. Kenneth Cranham's character from Hellraiser 2 reminded me quite a bit of Sam Neill's character in Event Horizon.

Cinema: Shazam.  Liked it a lot.

Home video: Mega-Shark vs Kolossus.  All the fun bits are in the trailer.

Pet Cemetery. It was awesome. The second trailer shows way too much. The first trailer is just enough to know what's going on. Jon Lithgow is awesome.

Also... wow there's a lot of killer kid movies hitting theaters. Three within a few months. The Prodigy, some sort of new evil Super Boy movie, and a third.

Saw Overlord, thought it was pretty cool. Standard WWII movie that gradually morphs into something that could fit into Wolfenstein.

Posted (edited)

I've gone on a bit of a film streak:

Four Lions (2010) - black comedy about incompetent wannabe jihadis. Really funny, and makes for great satire.

Subway (1985) - Besson's second feature film, back when he wasn't bloating his movies with special effects. Being part of the "cinéma du look" movement (a film movement I like quite a bit), it has the usual elements: vibrant use of colour, memorable characters, a nice soundtrack and useless pigs. I liked it quite a bit.

Nikita (1990) - another film by Besson. Pretty good thriller; Anne Parillaud is fantastic as the junkie-turned-assassin, and the film actually takes its time, letting her character "evolve", if you will. I do prefer Subway, though.

Open Water (2003) - most shark films after Jaws are generally pure shite, but this is a pretty good one. Its minimalist approach works out well, focusing more on the emotional aspect of such a situation (being stranded in the middle of the sea), and is suspenseful as hell.

Twilight (don't care about the year) - it's not that I really watched it, it's just that my sister was watching it while I was working on a university project. The bits I actually did watch were, as you can imagine, pure torture.

The Shallows (2016) - was on telly after I watched Open Water, so I thought "why not"? Pretty cliché in parts, but Blake Lively drives the film from forgettable to watchable. It's alright…

High Plains Drifter (1973) - really good Western. A good allegory for collective guilt. I can't imagine a film like this being made today (I'm looking at a few scenes in particular).

The Mission (1986) - Roland Joffé's second film. I really loved The Killing Fields, and this one, while not nearly as good, is watchable enough. Jeremy Irons and Robert De Niro have great chemistry and their conflict in believable. The ending battles are poorly choreographed, sadly. The film looks brilliant, though, and is worth watching for the visuals alone.

True Romance (1993) - rewatched this great film by Tony Scott. Thanks to a script by Quentin Tarantino, we get great characters, great set-pieces, an amazing final shootout, and pop-culture references galore. I love it.

Duel (1971) - also rewatched this, being that it's honestly my favourite film of all time. Fab chase scenes, good psychological tension, good acting, etc.

Saw Shazam earlier today. Wasn't really into it. I found the lead character to be kind of a jerk and hard to relate to. The stuff with the foster family was kind of heartwarming. Overall, it was just alright. 

The apartment building that Billy's mother lived in. I've partied there with a good friend a couple of times. 

Watched The Man Who Killed Don Quixote a few days ago. It was good, if not poorly edited. I've been waiting for Terry Guilliam's Don Quixote movie for 20 years now, and he was working on it for 30 years. What it ended up being is exactly what it should be. It's a really good movie, and it tried to reach for the stars and fell short. With 30 years of rewrites and failures, it only makes sense that it's muddled. And that makes it the perfect Don Quixote film. I would recommend seeing it, it's a great movie, but it's a movie filled with confusion, a movie that drives on with an incredible lack of direction or sense. And I really just love Terry Gilliam's artistic design.

That being said, I think The Adventures of Baron Munchausen was better.