Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureSlime

Most recent movie you saw

Posted (edited)

Went on a bit of a watching spree:

Spiderman: Far From Home (2019) - saw it at the cinema, obviously. Holland is still great, the chemistry with his friends is quite nice and the humour is, as always, there, but the villain comes across as clichéd and Spiderman creating his own suit makes him feel too much like Iron Man. Overall, watchable.

Weekend (1967) - totally batshit crazy film from Godard (the first of his films I've ever watched). A very unsubtle critique of capitalism by way of bringing up topics such as racism, war and by making his two main [bourgeois] leads irritating. It does work at a biting piece of satire, though, and Godard's obscure sense of humour works well with the material. Sidenote: this film does NOT deserve the 18 rating it got here in the UK.

Don't Torture a Duckling (1972) - finally got around to seeing this early Fulci giallo. It's a particularly scathing critique of the Catholic Church's influence, in that we have a village plagued by superstition, which only gets worse when a maniac goes around butchering young boys. The cinematography is excellent (which really shows what was to come from Fulci), the acting is good, the music is BRILLIANT, the atmosphere is thick as hell, and the subtext is, in a way, relevant even now. Recommended for horror / thriller-mystery fans.

Toy Story 4 (2019) - a much different film from the last: Woody and pals get into more misadventures when the former finds Bo Peep (that secondary character from the first two films). The humour's not quite on the level of Toy Story (1 and 2), but it mostly works, and the ending is so sweet.

Zombie Flesh Eaters 2 (aka Zombi 3) (1988) - I must've watched a cut version (not in terms of graphic content, but the whole opening experimentation sequence is missing). In any case, this was a film started by Fulci... but finished by Bruno Mattei (with a script by Claudio Fragasso), so needless to say... the end result is hilariously poor. The acting is laughable, the gore effects passable yet unremarkable, the music corny (yet fine in its own right, actually) and the pacing is nonexistent. Fun for a laughalong, but otherwise pretty bad.

The Thing (1982) - the best horror film ever made. Acting is superb, the suspense seeps into every scene, the cinematography perfectly captures the isolation the characters find themselves in, the music is creepy and forboding and the special effects are top-notch. Interesting commentary on both America's reaction to communism (the Thing ostensibly represents the cold, heartless and emotionless communist aggression) and spiritual influence in said country (you can also read the Thing as representing an almost godly entity that increasingly takes control of its victims). All-in-all, amazing.

The Proposal (2009) - watched in on-and-off, since it was really my sister watching it. From what I saw, the acting's fine I guess, but it's beyond clichéd.

Breathless (1960) - recently got around to seeing this French New Wave classic... and it sure deserves its status as one; the editing techniques work well at deconstructing cinema (Godard's intent, obviously) and the characters' idiosyncrasies would become a staple of New Wave (and, in a way, contemporary) cinema. Also, Belmondo is simply fantastic. I'll be looking to watch some more Godard films.

There you go. Reviews and some analysis for you lot.

Edited by Poncho1

Posted (edited)

Independence Day [1996] "Welcome To Earth" 

Twister [1996... R.I.P Dusty :(] There is just so much positive energy in this video, and some dramatic parts as well.  This video helps with my dizzyness from FPS games so I might have this one pretty loud if im playing DOOM..

The Thing [1982]

Jaws [All Of them I think... 1975-1983]

Terminator 2 - Judgement Day [1991]

Childs Play (Most of them from 1988-2004)

Star Wars (Most Of Them from 1977-2005)

Resident Evil (Most Of Them from from 2002-2016)

28 Days Later [2002]

Shaun Of The Dead [2004]

EVIL DEAD [Most Of Them... from 1981-1992]

Event Horizon [1997]

SCREAM [ALL OF THEM from 1996 - 2011]

ALIEN [Most of t hem from - 1979 - 2017]

GODZILLA - [All Of Them including the originals from japan] RAWR! :o)

And finally.... MORRRRTTAAAALL KOMBBAAT! [SEEN ALL... and still continue watching the first one!]

I have the TV set far away from me so i dont develop near sighted vision.

Just now... I am watching Chucky 3 (Childs Play 3)  I like the music in this one.

Edited by vanilla_d00m

Posted (edited)

Carpenter's "They Live". Amazing movie and very fun but it has its shortcomings. Under a certain angle I can see how it may feed into the 'lone wolf' mentality of an American right-wing domestic terrorist.

Rody Piper, the lead actor himself, went on Alex Jones radio show and professed his love for Infowars. What a weird world.

Nonetheless, it's obvious that this movie is very much on the left side.

Two things I didn't understand: the length of the street fighting scene and why this movie is categorized as horror. I found it more similar to a very, very dark comedy.

I'm re-watching Friday the 13th Part 3. It's even more terrible than I remember.  I'd say it was the worst in the series except that that might actually be Part 5. Or 6. Or 8. Or 10.

I felt like watching something terrible and I wasn't disappointed. Absolutely god-awful from beginning to end. 

Road House (1989) 

I'll just quote what Roger Ebert said as it seems to fit my thoughts as well.

"Road House exists right on the edge between the 'good-bad movie' and the merely bad. I hesitate to recommend it, because so much depends on the ironic vision of the viewer. This is not a good movie. But viewed in the right frame of mind, it is not a boring one, either." - Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times

My thoughts exactly. It kept me entertained. I wasn't really ever bored and it's not a short movie either as it is close to 2 hrs (114 mins). It's been a long time since i've seen this movie but it sure was pretty funny and action packed albeit extremely cheesy but since i grew up watching these types of movies, i didn't mind re-watching it again.

I've already written about this film, but I rewatched Zombie Flesh Eaters (1979) since today is its 40th anniversary. Love live Fulci.

On 8/19/2019 at 11:29 AM, Capellan said:

I'm re-watching Friday the 13th Part 3. It's even more terrible than I remember.  I'd say it was the worst in the series except that that might actually be Part 5. Or 6. Or 8. Or 10.

Part 6 is awesome!

Devil's Passb or Dyatlov Pass incident

I only watched it because recently read about thebincident the movie based on.

It has some interisting idea to explain what happened with the skiers but otherwise it's just a generic Found footage with dumbass characters

On 8/17/2019 at 9:39 PM, gotsu said:

Carpenter's "They Live". Amazing movie and very fun but it has its shortcomings. Under a certain angle I can see how it may feed into the 'lone wolf' mentality of an American right-wing domestic terrorist.

Rody Piper, the lead actor himself, went on Alex Jones radio show and professed his love for Infowars. What a weird world.

Nonetheless, it's obvious that this movie is very much on the left side.

Two things I didn't understand: the length of the street fighting scene and why this movie is categorized as horror. I found it more similar to a very, very dark comedy.

"They Live" is pretty tame for a John Carpenter film, so you can watch it with (your) kids (IMO). It might not be scary to us adults, but to a 10 year old kid, it might be pretty spooky.

40 minutes ago, FractalBeast said:

"They Live" is pretty tame for a John Carpenter film, so you can watch it with (your) kids (IMO). It might not be scary to us adults, but to a 10 year old kid, it might be pretty spooky.

I can agree, though it'd probably be spooky mostly due to the scary alien faces?

That was my first Carpenter film (yes, shame on me) so I'm pretty stoked about the others that I plan to watch yet.

Also several movies of his that I've watched since then:

'In the mouth of madness'. Amazing stuff, simply amazing. Starting from the heavy metal cold open and up until the end this is a wild ride and a very unusual movie with many layers in it. It's that rare kind of movie where everything is great, frames, music, set designs, cast etc.

'Escape from New York'. It was nice but not super fun. Maybe I missed something?

As a sidenote I couldn't help but notice how obviously similar Solid Snake is to Snake Plissken.

Sorry to Bother You

Fun, just a plain fun movie. Dark, weird, crazy and above all fun. 

Quite hard to explain. But a down on his luck bloke, finds his calling at a tele-marketing company. Que white voices, horses, and Danny Glover. 

Strong 8/10 from me.

On 8/18/2019 at 5:39 AM, gotsu said:

The main actor is "Rowdy" Roddy Piper.  In 1988, that's all the reason you need for that street fighting scene.

I've never seen the film categorised as "Horror", but as "Science Fiction" (which fits just fine).

I watched Blade Runner 2049 for the second time. Easily one of my favorite movies of this decade. 

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Damn, this movie was good. I hoped for so long that these movies would finally get rid of Harry's obnoxious and unfunny relatives, and it finally happened. I appreciate that they weren't even referenced, just gone. There are a lot less kooky characters in general, and the goofball humor was properly toned down. My biggest issue with this series was just how tonally inconsistent it was, and this is the first movie to finally get it right. Easily the best movie in the series so far, but it has a few flaws that hold it back from being truly great.

Lavender was really annoying and felt out of place. The movie's more appropriately dark tone made her presence all the more jarring. I thought we did away with these sorts of characters? The movie also spends a lot of time developing multiple romantic subplots at once, and none of them are interesting or really go anywhere. None of the elements are as groanworthy as they were in The Goblet of Fire, but it all felt tacked on and dull. Ginny is about as interesting as a bowl of stale oatmeal, and the romance she develops with one of the characters doesn't feel believable and it just happens out of nowhere. There's also a certain character turn that I wasn't keen on. I won't say anything specific, other than the fact that it's my favorite character in the series, and the actor/actress has gone on record to say that they disliked the way their character was handled.

On the weekend, I watched Super Inframan and Sheborg Massacre.  The first was delightfully goofy 70s power rangers-esque nonsense.  The latter was a surprisingly smart and ambitious Australian SF-comedy-action gorefest made on next to no budget (I've seen reports it cost around $20,000).

Justice League. It was kind of time to catch up with superhero movies/shows I missed, and I figured I'd give JL a try after seeing just how much hate it got back when it first came out.

So... overall I would say it was a decent movie, but it definitely shows that it was finished by someone else than the person who started filming it. The dialogue wasn't very good, and some of the characters were less-than-stellar (wtf have they done to Batman lol, most of the time he looked like someone way too old for his job, and that sequence after Superman was brought back to life felt so out of place ("Yup, something's definitely bleeding")...

I think it was by no means a mediocre movie, but it was not great either. Hopefully DC will do a better job in the future. With Titans they've definitely demonstrated they can still make great stuff (if only Season 2 can come sooner in Europe... ). And hopefully Reeves and Pattinson won't screw up in 2021.

The original Evil Dead trilogy.

Pretty damn awesome, and it was interesting to see how it changed its tone gradually. The original is pretty much as serious as it gets, and Army of Darkness as comedic and goofy as it can go. I wonder where Ash vs The Evil Dead picks up.

I also realized some things while watching. Up until this point, I always assumed Blood's Hand was based on Addams' Family Thing, but it's now become obvious that's not the case. Lots of one-liners are taken from here, obviously, Build style :p. And this is what inspired the Mini-Calebs as well, heh.

My favorite is definitely going to be Army of Darkness, way too fun to watch and unashamedly over-the-top. I just wish there wouldn't have been changes between the original's story and the sequel though, the second movie changes quite a few things when it retells the story of the first.

1 minute ago, seed said:

ill double on saying that army of darkness is the best

9 hours ago, seed said:

I also realized some things while watching. Up until this point, I always assumed Blood's Hand was based on Addams' Family Thing, but it's now become obvious that's not the case. Lots of one-liners are taken from here, obviously, Build style :p. And this is what inspired the Mini-Calebs as well, heh.

Wow. I too believed that Blood's Hand enemy was based on the Hand from Addams' Family. Interesting to find out that its not true.

13 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Wow. I too believed that Blood's Hand enemy was based on the Hand from Addams' Family. Interesting to find out that its not true.

Yeah, but I don't think that's the case anymore tbh (keep in mind this is my theory only, I can't find anything solid on what inspired the enemy in the game, Bloodwiki has no info either). Thing's concept also changed with time, it was originally meant to be a full being, but it was too hideous so it was eventually turned into an arm in the 1964 series, then later into a disembodied hand, most notably in the movies and the 1990s reboot show. You could probably say the idea itself historically precedes that of Evil Dead's though.

One thing's (heh) for sure though, the high pitched line they speak once alerted ("I'll swallow your soul!") is most certainly a reference to Evil Dead (Deadites sometimes say this).

I decided to watch The Evil Dead for the first time, I will probably end up watching the whole series of movies if I find it enjoyable enough.

Edited by Avoozl

Velvet Buzzsaw, an excruciating loss of brain cells masquerading as a satirical horror movie. 

Managed to cause Netflix to freeze solid for several minutes, and then a smattered canvas murdered everyone I know. The spirit of Vetril Dease lives on.

Root canal/10

Joker.

Well this was a pretty interesting movie, I liked how well it illustrated the misery in society and between classes. Joakim was also pretty damn good and an odd mix of awkward and worrying to see in action, without a doubt a take that makes the viewer also see him more as a victim rather than a product of his unfortunate past, more grounded in reality.

But it doesn't follow the comics, at least not the canon most of us are familiar with (I'm still only familiar with his backstory as seen in Killing Joke, and Batman 1989, never bothered to trace his origins in the comics since they were never really set in stone to begin with, there's been multiple attempts). Last time I checked, prior to the incident when he fell into the toxic chemicals he was part of some sort of criminal group, and had a wife, who was killed (I think? - see KJ). All the crappy events he went through in that fateful day turned him into you-know-who. This one lived with his mother and has mental issues, who is eventually broken by the trash around him.

It also changes Batman's origins (also Thomas appeared to be a real cunty richboi in this movie). Thomas and Martha (speaking of which, Martha is completely absent from the movie, she only shows up during the alley scene to die) seemed to have been shot by a random guy with a clown mask, rather than Joe Chill. Arthur also had contact with the family, and is in fact Thomas' son here, who was later abandoned. Plot twist, heh. And Penny Fleck really wasn't a nice person after all.

All in all, a pretty interesting take on the character who is much more closely related to the Waynes, especially when compared to the most common canon, and frankly I'm glad they really took their time to flesh out the character and make him an actual background that is fully explored, that hasn't been done before on neither the big or small screen as far as I know, rather than have a short introduction to the Arthur persona and then go full beast mode with Joker. Joakim was a good choice, now let's see how things go in the future.