Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureSlime

Most recent movie you saw

Okay, in my "absence" from this particular thread, I've watched about a gazillion films... so I'll just write about the last film I watched:

The 400 Blows (1959) - a New Wave classic by François Truffaut. Jean-Pierre Léaud is amazing as the misunderstood teenage delinquent who is neglected by his parents and treated like shit by his teachers. The humanity of the film surfaces due to Truffaut's aversion of sentimentality, which makes the film all the more emotional. Instantly one of my favourite films. Why didn't I watch this sooner?

4 hours ago, Loud Silence said:

The Gendarme in New York (1965)

"Your attitude is not juste"

I recently saw Klaus and was quite blown away by it. Not by a storytelling viewpoint - although the story and delivery are definitely very fine - but more from an animation standpoint. This is a traditionally 2D animated movie by a spanish studio (?!) with absolutely incredible smooth animations and a quite unique visual style. If you can, check it out. There are definitely worse Christmas Movies you can watch.

9 hours ago, Matthias said:

Recently I saw Saw

Glad you got to see Saw. I saw Saw too.

Anyway, last movie, well documentary I watched was Jim and Andy, Netflix's documentary/interview about the filming of Man on the Moon. Wasn't sure what to expect going in, although I loved that movie. It was really interesting, it has a bunch of behind the scene footage of the filming (which Paramount wanted destroyed, but Carrey kept in his office for 20 years), which usually I find boring. But it turned out that Jim Carrey just went batshit insane during filming, and according to him he wasn't playing Andy Kaufman or Tony Clifton, he was telepathically channeling them.

So yeah, when they were shooting as Andy, he would act like Andy, on and off set, when they were shooting Tony, same thing. It was actually just kind of surreal how deep he went into those character. I think the movie mentally broke him, he's been really fucking weird since then. And not "ha ha, I talk out of my butt" kind of weird.

If you liked the movie, I'd recommend watching it, I thought it was pretty damn interesting.

Sylvia

Sylvia Plath, her tortured relationship with Ted Hughes, and her suicide in 1963. A lot better than you'd expect from a 21st Century film.

27 minutes ago, Loud Silence said:

This one is soooo good...

ahahah. I just watched this today and kind of completely hated it :p. it felt like it was written by a 20-something who's never heard actual humans talk before and decided that the strategy for making realistic contemporary dialogue is to cram as much sarcasm and as many "fuck"s into the script as possible. it also had some pacing issues. But idk, I'm probably overthinking it. it's a dumb-fun horror movie and if I knew that going in I probably would've had a better attitude towards it.

Joker - very actual social movie and it's only good thing about this work.

Rogue one 7.5/10
Second time I have watched it and the only Disney star wars I have bothered watching a second time. So far and away the best of the bunch. Amazes me they didn't go with Gareth Edwards for the last jedi as he actually seems to understand star wars and it's universe.

Terminator 2, and the night before, the first one.

Was nice back when Hollywood sci fi was well made and had provocative ideas and good acting and direction and action and effects.