Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrGlide

What are the best wads with exclusively Iwad assets?

Exluding the main Doom games, I'm looking for Mega/wads in which only use Iwad/Vanilla assets or close to. Which ones do you know of that are good?

pwads, sorry about that, and doom ones at that.Edited original posts, thanks scifista.

MrGlide said:

wads that use vanila assets yet boom format

If you're looking not only for vanilla-exe-compatible wads, but also for Boom-compatible wads using "vanilla assets", you should make it clear which "assets" do you consider "vanilla" and which not. For example, would Boom-compatible wads using custom music fit your description? And those using custom textures? Custom sprites? Custom sounds? Custom DEHACKED monster and/or weapon replacements? Any of the abovementioned as long as they'd be vanilla-exe-compatible if the maps themselves were also vanilla-exe-compatible? (It's not obvious to tell / very hard to judge whether specific wads fit that last-mentioned criteria or not, though.)

Also, for the vanilla wads, see this list (Engine -> vanilla).

Megawads:

Memento Mori
Memento Mori 2
Hell Revealed
Fava Beans
MarsWar
2002: A Doom Odyssey
Back to Saturn X: Episode 1

Small wads:

Doom City
HELLRUN
Bermuda
Area 51

I've also made two vanilla wads over the last few years. This is only a tiny, tiny sample - I know I've left a lot out, hopefully a few more people can chime in.

EDIT: These are all vanilla, they can run in Doom.exe/Doom2.exe/Chocolate Doom and so forth without the need for Boom however a few of them do have custom textures and sprites, so they might not be what you're after. There are a lot of Boom compatible wads out there that use only the IWAD assets, pretty much any wad you see released as 'limit removing' will meet the criteria, so there are loads to choose from.

MrGlide said:

Exluding the main Doom games, I'm hoping to get a list of both Good wads that use vanila assets yet boom format and the best maps in vanilla format. I'm not aware of many. Which ones do you know of that are good?

What. Boom and vanilla format includes nearly all the popular PWADs. Is this some elaborate satire on rec threads? Vanilla format is most 90's stuff that's mentioned in every thread. Anyways, there's this really obscure vanilla wad called "Saturn Base X" or something. I'm sure most people haven't heard of it.

I see what I did wrong I'm tired, I'm looking for wads with really no updated textures, objects, all assests straight out of doom 1 and 2, iwad assets only. No new sounds, No new graphics, no Dehacked.

Thanks joe-ilya, that looks like the stuff I'm looking for, Did scyth1 use any custome textures?

MrGlide said:

Thanks joe-ilya, that looks like the stuff I'm looking for, Did scyth1 use any custome textures?

Yeah, Scythe had some custom textures.

The OP and thread title should be altered to make it clear that MrGlide doesn't really care about the wad's compatibility (as the word "vanilla" implies), but about the wad's usage of IWAD assets only (as opposed to using custom graphics / sounds / thing behavior changes / etc.).

who reads the first post? =P

there are a bunch of really fascinating maps from 94 and 95 which only use stock textures and music and, although most of them are terminally hard on the eyes, there's lots of charm and weird inventiveness to be found. get delving through shovelware imo

Going Down will be hard to beat for quality creativity under these guidelines and from memory only uses a few additional textures as billboards in the last couple of maps. The DTWID series should be mentioned as well.

Interception is really good, it has only custom music and skies.
I suggest also to check Valkiriforce wads (the recent Vispire, Reverie, Doom Core, Eternally Yours), even though he uses some custom textures sometimes.
Fragport is rather interesting, but even this one uses few custom textures.

Kuchitsu (an exotic episode) : https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/j-l/kuchitsu
Dwango5 and Dwango6 (classic deathmatch maps) : http://www.wad-archive.com/wad/333ca955620fd1678619e62976fb96bb
Fava beans (Top wad from 1995) : https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/0-9/01fava
Oh my gwad! (Big gimmicky map by me that's highly praised by others) : https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/m-o/ohmyg

Thanks guys, I will definetly check all of these out and see if there is anything I can learn.