im looking at a decorate for the chaingun from brutal doom and i see this:

Ready:
TNT1 A 0 A_TakeInventory("Minigun")
PKCG A 1 A_WeaponReady
TNT1 A 0 A_TakeInventory("Minigun")
TNT1 A 0 A_TakeInventory("Rifle")
TNT1 A 0 A_TakeInventory("DualRifles")
Loop

what i dont get is the A_takeInventory part ive looked at zdoom wiki but still dont get it

and also the fire state

Fire:
TNT1 A 0 BRIGHT A_FireBullets (5, 1, 1, 9, "MachineGunBulletPuff")
TNT1 A 0 A_FireCustomMissile("Tracer", random(-3,3), 0, -1, -12, 0, random(-3,3))
TNT1 A 0 A_PlaySound("CHGNSHOT", 1)
TNT1 A 0 A_FireCustomMissile("RifleCaseSpawn",5,0,6,-6)
PKCG F 1 BRIGHT
TNT1 A 0 A_SetPitch(-1.0 + pitch)
PKCG B 1 A_SpawnItemEx("PlayerMuzzle1",30,5,30)
PKCG CD 1 A_SetPitch(0.5 + pitch)

TNT1 A 0 BRIGHT A_FireBullets (5, 1, 1, 9, "MachineGunBulletPuff")
TNT1 A 0 A_FireCustomMissile("Tracer", random(-3,3), 0, -1, -12, 0, random(-3,3))
TNT1 A 0 A_PlaySound("CHGNSHOT", 1)
TNT1 A 0 A_FireCustomMissile("RifleCaseSpawn",5,0,6,-6)
PKCG E 1 BRIGHT
TNT1 A 0 A_SetPitch(-1.0 + pitch)
PKCG B 1 A_SpawnItemEx("PlayerMuzzle1",30,5,30)
PKCG CD 1 A_SetPitch(0.5 + pitch)

TNT1 A 0 A_ReFire
PKCG ABCDAABBCCCDDDD 1 A_WeaponReady(1)
Goto Ready

why does it say to fire a custom missile? as in the game it doesnt fire any projectile

thanks

I can explain the latter - A_FireCustomMissile is being used to spawn purely decorative smoke particles and bullet cases that accompany the gun's shooting.

The former must be part of some greater-scale logic in other DECORATEs, otherwise I don't see the benefit of constantly trying to remove player's weapons from his inventory while he's holding the chaingun ready. Alternatively, it might be removing classic-mode weapons from his inventory while he's using a modern-mode weapon, or something like that.

It fires a tracer, the line you see imitating the bullet trail. Much like real tracer bullets, there is a bright line left behind where the bullet was. But of course with hitscans there are no bullets, but the tracer is there meant to look like there is for effect.

And with the way guns work in this game, the tracer is the custom missile as opposed to any sort of bullet graphic.

The other thing....I don't know.

That's the bullet case that falls out of the weapon after each shot. Gameplay-wise, it doesn't have any meaning. It's just for "realistic" appearance.

I see. what i dont get is that yes its the bullet cases I thought that as well but how is it a custom missile/projectile when they shoot forward and the bullet cases fall on the floor?

thanks for the replies by the way guys

The parameters of the A_FireCustomMissile function that spawns "RifleCaseSpawn" make the cases fired sideways instead of directly forward, and the flags and properties defined in the actor definition of "RifleCaseSpawn" make them not behave as traditional projectiles, but fall to ground and not being able to harm anything.

Yeah, you can have them fire projectiles anywhere you want. A gun isn't really a gun, it is just a projectile spawner and or a hitscanner.