Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Phobophobia

Oh man, Cheka this out! Shit is getting heated in a nonpolitical, nonracial, nonreligious thread.

Fear of Heights and Fear of being forgotten is what I got for a gimmick.
Spiders I have mild dislike, but snakes are another story..

TraceOfSpades said:

nonpolitical, nonracial, nonreligious thread.

George Bush 7/11 Part-time job
word
islam lol

ChekaAgent said:

Waht? Who you called a kid? I'm 18, get it? Eight-teen years old, you dumbass! That's as adult as you can get! How fucking dare you calling me, a respectable community member, a kid, you asshole? You on other hand, judging by your stupid posts, seems to be a fucking 13 year old. Go fuck yourself!!

You should have been more afraid of making posts like this.

ChekaAgent said:

Waht? Who you called a kid? I'm 18, get it? Eight-teen years old, you dumbass! That's as adult as you can get! How fucking dare you calling me, a respectable community member, a kid, you asshole? You on other hand, judging by your stupid posts, seems to be a fucking 13 year old. Go fuck yourself!!

i r o n y. You're probably just joking though.

I hope.

Man, that hissing roach is nasty. I always imagined that if I could somehow amplify whatever noise roaches make that it would be some sort of hiss, turns out I wasn't too far off.

ChekaAgent said:

What the hell prompted this outburst? Even if you're joking I recommend not posting shit like this if you want to stick around.

- Fear of large bodies of water
- Fear of heights
- Fear of enclosed spaces

Pretty common things, I think. I don't have any idea what caused them. They just make me extremely uncomfortable.

I also have a problem with blood. Real blood, not fake blood. I'm not frightened by it. It just makes me queasy, and it's kind of like an uncontrollable reaction? Hard to describe.

Doomkid said:

What the hell prompted this outburst? Even if you're joking I recommend not posting shit like this if you want to stick around.

Ok, i admit that it was a bit too much. And yes, i was joking.

Btw, is Saturn LittleInferno? I just have that feeling..

They are a cute insect. Docile is the word. You can put one in your hand and it won't go all creepy-crawly on you. It just moseys around because it isn't afraid of most things, due to its hard exoskeleton. They can pull an enormous amount of weight relative to their size. I have held several of them and decided they are a chill insect.

What's kind of cool, there are tiny mites that live on the exoskeleton of the cockroach itself. They eat stuff that grows on the carapace and keep the cockroach clean.

Some people raise them as pets. When they are raised in captivity, it also removes any fear you have of contracting a disease or parasite since the roach is pretty clean in a captive environment.

Feirup said:

It's kinda cute

I think so too, however I am well aware that some people might get scared by actually hearing an insect which makes noises like that. Actually, many insects communicate via sound, but that hissing is kind of in a league of its own.

I used to be afraid of darkness, but as I grew older I realized there are no ghosts, zombies or vampires waiting at every corner, so I just tell myself it's all fine, which mostly works.

Then there's spiders, I basically fear any kind of spider that's small, if it's the size of a tarantula or even daddy longlegs(I find them actually quite funny), no problem.

Also wasps, fuck those fuckers. I once got bitten by one in my mouth because I didn't look into my cup before drinking... propably was more afraid than me though.

Oh and I fear being trapped in a small area, like an elevator.

Kontra Kommando said:

There's something I find particularly disgusting and disturbing about the way they look. I don't feel like that with any other incest really.

Ohh myy!

Btw, you seem to be toying with your fear, so check out Naked Lunch, the movie adaptation by Cronenberg if you haven't yet. It contains a scene or twolike half of the movie that might make you feel uneasy, heh.

Like Trace, I have a fear of spiders. Everything about them makes me freak out.
This is also the reason I have never played Doom 3.

Isn't fear of heights and spiders called common sense? I mean, would you jump into a horde of spiders or stand on the edge of a tall cliff?

joe-ilya said:

Isn't fear of heights and spiders called common sense? I mean, would you jump into a horde of spiders or stand on the edge of a tall cliff?

Definitely the latter. There's a difference between not stepping off a cliff and being afraid to walk near one.

joe-ilya said:

Yeah, they're normal to a degree. But when I am literally still anxious about seeing a spider half an hour ago...pretty sure that's a little less than normal.

But I'm not as scared of them as Voohootie02 is...I have played Doom³. Trust me dude, it isn't that bad. Great game.

joe-ilya said:

Fear of heights is common sense. I mean standing near a a cliff, or looking down from a huge building feels... Not necessarily right, so to speak.

As for spiders, I think it really depends where/how you've grown-up. I lived in a city for most of my life, but I liked to go camping with my parents in forests as well, so in my case spiders have always been "normal". They didn't look very appealing, and I can understand if people find them "gross", to some degree, but they were not particularly scary to me. I mean if it was a black widow, it would be a different story, because those are dangerous, but the usual eight-legged field'n'forest kinda-itsy-bitsy isn't much of a concern.

Regardless, I would not jump into a horde of spiders, unless my life was depending on it.

TraceOfSpades said:

But I'm not as scared of them as Voohootie02 is...I have played Doom³. Trust me dude, it isn't that bad. Great game.

I think Doom 3 has everything I want in a Doom game, but it genuinely freaks me out.
*adds to Steam wishlist*

I hate flying insects, but not because i fear they might do something like sting me or anything, but the buzzing always unnerves me. Even big flies are a problem for me.

joe-ilya said:

Fear is just the rational mechanism to stay out of danger. Phobia is the IRRATIONAL fear of something, as in "the mere sight of a fake spider is terrifying" instead of "an ultravenoumous (poisonous?) spider just in front of me is scary".

joe-ilya said:

I think that's how I am. I can't say I have any serious fears of anything save for being cautious around things that could kill or hurt me or have statistically negative consequences or things that in unsure could kill or hurt me.

Camahueto said:

Fear is just the rational mechanism to stay out of danger. Phobia is the IRRATIONAL fear of something, as in "the mere sight of a fake spider is terrifying" instead of "an ultravenoumous (poisonous?) spider just in front of me is scary".

Phobia means fear, translated from Latin to English.

joe-ilya said:

Phobia means fear, translated from Latin to English.

And? Since we no longer use latin to just talk, we started to use it to refer to especific things a long time ago, like in science and law.

I have mild erotophobia, that is, a fear of sexual situations. No, I was never diddled or anything, but my development was severely stunted I suppose and to this day I haven't had penetrative sex, which is partly out of total disinterest in 99.99% of sexual scenarios, and partly out of a fear of the sexual act itself, which I at least partially attribute to two album covers I saw at too early an age. The first was Cannibal Corpse's "Tomb of the Mutilated," which features a mutilated female corpse, her hacked-up vagina overflowing with blood. The second was a Disgorge album I can't recall the name of, which features a realistic mock-up of a dead embryo dangling out of a butchered vagina, photographed in extreme closeup. It was only later that I saw a "proper" image of a vagina, but of course by then I had already created an association with sadistic butchery and fatal entry wounds, so I wasn't in a rush to have sex. I think my tendency to see penises as violent stabbing weapons is related to this, so in a sense penises are a source of fear as well, as I have a very irrational fear of being raped.

I don't fear bugs much anymore, but water bugs (basically really big cockroaches) still elicit fear from me, something I think most people can relate to. I also find centipedes and beetles disturbing, though I have no problem with crickets, grasshoppers or spiders.

I have a very odd fear of halitosis, which I think stemmed from being griped at for acting up, after the old man had a beer or two. He was by no means abusive, but like any good parent he got on to me for fucking up, and the close range "beer breath" created a pattern of fear that continues to this day. I find myself suddenly not wanting to take a deep breath if I get close to someone's face, out of fear that I'll smell their breath.

I fear certain forms of responsibility, because I fear I'll fail, embarrass of humiliate myself, or that I'll get super fucking stressed out from the workload involved. I've missed out on a lot of opportunities in life because I was afraid to take a chance and risk failure.

Lastly, I have a fear of the workplace. Between 2012 and 2015, I had six jobs, all of which ended up in hilarious disaster and wouldn't be out of place in an episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm." I get very anxious, distracted and upset in the workplace, and end up performing my job rather poorly. I ended up founding a home business in a desperate attempt to maintain employment.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I have a severe, nearly debilitating phobia of very large, empty spaces. Huge expanses with few terrain features, even in broad daylight, is the stuff of my nightmares. Things like large empty deserts with dunes don't necessarily irk me that much, because I can mentally break up sightlines and take the terrain as multiple discrete parts to traverse one at a time. The idea of a nearly or perfectly flat, featureless plain with nowhere to hide triggers a completely irrational fear in me that I haven't been able to get over.

^When I was a child my family went on vacation to Las Vegas. We drove there. My father was on some kind of medication at the time which was supposed to take away some of hos stress...unfortunately for him, it had a nasty side effect. It gave him an irrational fear of open spaces like the one you posted. A lot of the areas we were driving in were wide open desert areas. This forced him to lay in the back of the van and try to sleep through most of the ride. I remember at one point we had to pull over so he could vomit. It got pretty bad.

I've come to give spiders a pass in hopes that they eat the bugs in my house. While I wouldn't say I fear centipedes, I kill them quickly under the idea that they're unclean things.

I probably have some phobia, but I can't remember it unless I'm experiencing it probably. Wasps maybe, or I used too. Now they're more like an annoyance, though they still get me freaked out.