Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrGlide

What is your movement setup? or speed running setup?

I'm still trying to find the most confortable way to sr50, I was going to change my set up to qwes instead of aswd for movement and thought of asking for the most effecient/conforable set ups you guys might had that would be different?

I tried that and wasn't super fond of it myself, thats why I'm thinking of practicing qwes with a=left and d=right. I was confortable with aswd shift=left and space=right while my extra button on my mouse was alt, but I'v discovered juking enemies is easier walking so I'm now having a hard time finding a good run button with that set up.

My movement setup is:

Forward = W
Backward = S
Turn left = A
Turn right = D
Strafe left = Z
Strafe right = X

I have almost always used this setup.

Oh, and

Jump = Right mouse button

w: forward
a/d: strafe
right-mouse: strafe on
turn-left/right: mouse

so sr50 to the left would be: w+a+rightmouse+slowly_sliding_mouse_to_the_left

or in prb+ ultra cheater mode:

w+a+rightmouse is sufficient.

or in prb+ ultra-ultra cheater mode:

w. boom!

WASD = movement
right mouse button = strafe on
C = turn left
Alt = turn right
middle mouse button = jump if I'm playing something that needs it (Strife for example)

Forward = e
Backward = d
Turn left = not used
Turn right = not used
Strafe left = s
Strafe right = f
jump = mouse 2
use = spacebar
roll left = z
roll right = v
Use Item = x
reload = r
kick = w
quickturn = c
throw grenade = g
map zoom in = q
map zoom out = a
secondary fire = mouse 3

taunts are on my numpad

Relatively traditional WSDA + mouse setup, however for sr50 I set the strafe button as the middle mouse button. Makes it far easier to pull off, for me anyway. I almost never sr50 in deathmatch or duel though, its too finicky for me to really rely on it. I usually use it to escape huge hordes in SP and survival since you have just a tiny bit more time to react/maneuver.

I use arrow keys for moving forward/backward and looking left/right while strafing is A and S keys. I also hold the space bar for running and use ctrl and shift for fire/use respectively.

For vanilla + ports:

SZXC = movement
left ALT = strafe on + turn right

So, I press S/C/ALT to sr50 to the right (I have to drag the mouse left to sr50 left).

Ribbiks said:

or in prb+ ultra-ultra cheater mode:

w. boom!

Also possible in vanilla!

I don't know can this be used at all, but I strafe50 like this:
W -- forward
D -- strafe right
Middle mouse -- strafe
just move mouse to the right -- turn right.

Am I a heretic, a genius or an idiot?

@bzzrak, neither, thats what Ribbiks is doing.

Is it considered TAS to use mechanical Keyboards that can be reprogramed like the G13?

I play with keyboard only, arrow keys for movement, hold shift to strafe instead of turn, ctrl to shoot, space to use. In advanced ports, X is jump, V or B is crouch, W/S is look up/down, C is center view, I/K is fly up/down.

WASD and ←/→ arrow keys to turn, unless my keyboard doesn't have arrow keys in which case I use or n/m

ESDF for basic movement,
A - Jump
W/R for fly down / up

When going fully keyboard, all above +
Left / Right keys for look left/right
Up for shoot
Down for alt fire or 180 turn depending on port

ESDF feels more natural than WASD.

On 7/26/2016 at 11:14 PM, scifista42 said:

I play with keyboard only, arrow keys for movement, hold shift to strafe instead of turn, ctrl to shoot, space to use. In advanced ports, X is jump, V or B is crouch, W/S is look up/down, C is center view, I/K is fly up/down.

WHAT!!? are you saying you don't use a mouse (or any form of electronic rodent) for control of images on screens right in front of your face during play of FPS games?

I typically use a pretty standard WASD+mouse setup, with the addition of using ZXC for inventory where it's applicable (as selection left, use item, selection right respectively).

But, I don't really speedrun.  That said,

On 7/26/2016 at 10:20 AM, bzzrak said:

I don't know can this be used at all, but I strafe50 like this:
W -- forward
D -- strafe right
Middle mouse -- strafe
just move mouse to the right -- turn right.

Am I a heretic, a genius or an idiot?

That's what I would do, too.

4 minutes ago, Byeblothingal 1024 said:

WHAT!!? are you saying you don't use a mouse (or any form of electronic rodent) for control of images on screens right in front of your face during play of FPS games?

There is also guy with name "Keyboard_Doomer" in ZDaemon. Pretty sure he is playing on keyboard only.

As for me, I'm using mouse.
WASD = move
Left mouse button = shoot
Right mouse button = jump
Middle mouse button = strafe on
Left arrow = turn left
Right arrow = turn right
Space - action
F - secondary fire
C - duck

7 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

There is also guy with name "Keyboard_Doomer" in ZDaemon. Pretty sure he is playing on keyboard only.

As for me, I'm using mouse.
WASD = move
Left mouse button = shoot
Right mouse button = jump
Middle mouse button = strafe on
Left arrow = turn left
Right arrow = turn right
Space - action
F - secondary fire
C - duck

well thats really somethin if Keyboard_Doomer is really only using the keyboard AND is really good at the game.  I would like to be sitting next to someone in the room looking at their hands who can play really well with only a keyboard.  If I were to get clinked in the head with a baseball ba nevermind...

W = Move forward

S = Move backward

A = Strafe left

D = Strafe right

Z = Turn right

C = Turn left

Right-Click = Strafe on

Shift = Jump

Ctrl = Duck

X = Fly down (if it's necessary)

So basically my SR50 combination is either one of these two methods: W+A+C+RC, or W+D+Z+RC

I used to use Z and C in reverse (Z for turning left, C for turning right), but my fingers feel more comfortable with the current way.

I use Shift to strafe on, and space to turn left. This means I can only SR50 in one direction. (Then I discovered this is a very old thread...)

1 hour ago, Byeblothingal 1024 said:

well thats really somethin if Keyboard_Doomer is really only using the keyboard AND is really good at the game.  I would like to be sitting next to someone in the room looking at their hands who can play really well with only a keyboard.  If I were to get clinked in the head with a baseball ba nevermind...

2018-01-06  14:56:28  <[redacted]>    well, but Keyboard_Doomer sucks so he'll have to look for someone else

wasd = movement

l-alt = strafe on

mouse1 = fire

mouse2 = use/open

l-shift = walk

q = bfg

e = plasma gun

all others pretty default

Left-Shift - forward

Z - backward

Left-Ctrl - strafe-left

Left-Alt - strafe-right

S - run

A - turn left

mouse2 - strafe-on

So, to strafe50 (to the left only) is Left-shift/Left-ctrl/A/S/mouse2 - 5 keys

I'm deep in the minority opinion that combining keys and always run are cheating.  

My setup makes it hard to change weapons since I cannot reach the number keys with my fingers without moving my hand.

I use this configuration for all games that require the standard WASD-type movement.  I'm not sure it was a good idea since the Windows Key or Q sometimes get pressed accidentally... and sometimes I go to rocket jump and I alt-tab instead; which never ends well. 

WADS: Move

Mouse: Aim

F/Left Click: Primary Fire

Right Click: Secondary Fire

C: Crouch

Q: Jump

E: Use

Z: Zoom

R: Reload

Mouse Wheel: Change weapons

27 minutes ago, Opulent said:

Left-Shift - forward

Z - backward

Left-Ctrl - strafe-left

Left-Alt - strafe-right

S - run

A - turn left

mouse2 - strafe-on

So, to strafe50 (to the left only) is Left-shift/Left-ctrl/A/S/mouse2 - 5 keys

I'm deep in the minority opinion that combining keys and always run are cheating.  

My setup makes it hard to change weapons since I cannot reach the number keys with my fingers without moving my hand.

I use this configuration for all games that require the standard WASD-type movement.  I'm not sure it was a good idea since the Windows Key or Q sometimes get pressed accidentally... and sometimes I go to rocket jump and I alt-tab instead; which never ends well. 

very odd configuration. why dont you change?

23 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

very odd configuration. why dont you change?

I'm not sure what you mean.  Because I can't reach the number keys or that I don't combine keys?

It has the advantage of being able to just grab the keyboard without looking of course and just start playing instantly.  WASD is so... messy -- I don't "feel" that my fingers are on the right keys.

Changing it would require a long downtime of practice and I'm way too old for that.  I might die before I got back up to my current sub-par skill level.

w - move forward

s - move backward

a - strafe left

d - strafe right

shift - turn left

ctrl - turn right

space - strafe