Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spectre01

Any YouTube channels with good PWAD Let's Plays/Commentary?

1 minute ago, 42PercentHealth said:

The OP asked for YouTubers with commentary.

Oh....oops

2 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

The OP asked for YouTubers with commentary.

He asked for Let's Plays OR commentary.

On 7/28/2016 at 8:16 PM, Spectre01 said:

Clicked on her last Going Down video and she's playing with God Mode and complaining about the difficulty being bullshit. Yeah, not exactly what I was looking for. :P

There was a thread about this a while back. Basically here reason was simple: she's not a particularly amazing Doom player, and her objective is not to show you how to beat the wad, it's simply to give a quick demo of what the wad is like. She figured it was better to cheat and blast through it than upload an hour of her dying endlessly and not making any progress.

Whether you agree with her or not is a totally different question of course!

Speaking of Vinesauce Joel, he did a doom mapping contest last year and he said he would do another one this year, I wonder when that will happen, I am trying to learn how to make maps in preparation for if he ever does it lol

Although be warned if you are going to watch any of his doom streams, he is sort of like Major Arlene (whoever that is, never heard of them) in that he sometimes complains about the difficulty of levels and uses console cheats, also he has a pretty nasty habit of running through levels too quickly and letting enemies pile up which doesn't really help with the whole persisted difficulty issues especially in levels with backtracking

I've yet to find a channel that gets into the kinds of maps I like to play and actually sort of discusses them as well as giving a somewhat solid recommendation as to wether or not the maps are any good in a compact yet thourough enough style. Best place for that still is kmxexii's blog in written format, if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be playing this game today. I really wish he'd do videos, it would be the best.

If I'm looking for content wrt to what's worth having a look at, then I'd want a montage of some of the highlights as well as some insights in terms of what's generally to be expected quality- and gameplay wise. Let's plays are not for me when it comes to classic doom, I suppose. If there's any let's player out there who reads this, do your let's play and whatnot, but maybe have a playlist with compact recommendations and organized commentary as well, because not everyone has hours to spare on watching a let's play or two.

1 minute ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I've yet to find a channel that gets into the kinds of maps I like to play and actually sort of discusses them as well as giving a somewhat solid recommendation as to wether or not the maps are any good in a compact yet thourough enough style. Best place for that still is kmxexii's blog in written format, if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be playing this game today. I really wish he'd do videos, it would be the best.

If I'm looking for content wrt to what's worth having a look at, then I'd want a montage of some of the highlights as well as some insights in terms of what's generally to be expected quality- and gameplay wise. Let's plays are not for me when it comes to classic doom, I suppose. If there's any let's player out there who reads this, do your let's play and whatnot, but maybe have a playlist with compact recommendations and organized commentary as well, because not everyone has hours to spare on watching a let's play or two.

Why not trying to create your own channel for that left space in YT? I'm sure that you'd do it well unless that you're considering the time consumption of the process of a video (recording, converting or editing and uploading).

Just now, leodoom85 said:

Why not trying to create your own channel for that left space in YT? I'm sure that you'd do it well unless that you're considering the time consumption of the process of a video (recording, converting or editing and uploading).

I don't have powerful enough tech to play and record footage at the same time, especially not when it comes to slaughtermaps. Not to mention my internet connection is so inherently fucked atm that I couldn't even hope to upload gigabytes of stuff reliably.

Just now, Nine Inch Heels said:

I don't have powerful enough tech to play and record footage at the same time, especially not when it comes to slaughtermaps. Not to mention my internet connection is so inherently fucked atm that I couldn't even hope to upload gigabytes of stuff reliably.

I see.

Well, I'm also don't have a powerful machine but I can still manage to record, convert and upload videos (yes, at 550 kb/s it's still doable but it's slower...I know).

;)

2 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

That's actually a really nifty idea.... Maybe I'll try my hand at it. Too bad you couldn't do it yourself, since you have much more experience at slaughter maps/WADs than I have... I also don't have really strong opinions on what makes a good map/WAD, so my commentaries would be mostly just facts about the map/WAD in question. Which isn't all bad, I guess...

Just now, Nine Inch Heels said:

@42PercentHealthit's all just opinion pieces anyway, but when people scatter these fragments over +30 minutes, then I might as well grab the wad myself and give it a bash right away.

Right... so you're talking about a maybe 10 minute video that just reviews a whole WAD TotalBiscuit style, right?

@42PercentHealth yeah, something along those lines, I suppose. quick rundown of who made the map(s). Genre would be nice. Maybe overall difficulty (though that's subjective, but still), some footage of some cool fights and layouts. should take no more than 5-10 minutes, imo. Nicely boiled down to what stuff is about, and I might be inclined to watch that before downloading a wad myself.

1 minute ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

@42PercentHealth yeah, something along those lines, I suppose. quick rundown of who made the map(s). Genre would be nice. Maybe overall difficulty (though that's subjective, but still), some footage of some cool fights and layouts. sould take no more than 5-10 minutes, imo. Nicely boiled down to what stuf is about, and I might be inclined to watch that before downloading a wad myself.

Question

Voice commentary or not? :D

sure with commentary, how else could you explain things quickly? I mean, maybe text might work as well, but I think voiceover conveys enthusiam just better.

So here's maybe something that might work as a kind of baseline. Sure looks like I'm patting myself on the back here, but hopefully it helps providing some idea of what I think a structured review might be like. (though I certainly could have structured that better, in hindsight)

That map is huge, and I could have written dozens of paragraphs about it for sure. But the idea was to not go too much into detail, and being more descriptive about the map overall. Add in some screenshots I took when watching demos I recorded for it (which made timing them relatively easy, because I could slow the playback down willy-nilly), and that's the review.

Should take no more than 5 minutes to read, even if you take a look at the screenies, and you should generally have an idea what to expect from the map.

This may be considered shameless self promoting, but my channel used to upload videos about doom mods and such.

I may return to my original videos, but it's a lot of work trying to balance the game sound and your mic sound, editing the video, and waiting for upload times while only getting at least 20 views. 

(I did get 1,000 views on an all bosses vid for Brutal Doom and I might make a let's play on that one, since no one seems interested in LPing that mod.)

On 9/15/2017 at 0:17 PM, Lore said:

WhamNinjaMolehill has good standards overall, it always feels he is present on what he is doing.

Thanks for the kind words!

While I do have commentary on my videos, I'm certainly no BigMacDavis (miss that guy's videos!). I tend to go into Doom mods blind, so my commentary is more of my raw experience rather than anything particularly insightful.

That said, I do try to offer a walkthrough of how to access a PWAD's secret levels, if they exist. And my Hexen playthrough felt a bit like a walkthrough, as I'm quite familiar with the game's puzzles.

On 7/28/2016 at 8:16 PM, Spectre01 said:

Clicked on her last Going Down video and she's playing with God Mode and complaining about the difficulty being bullshit. Yeah, not exactly what I was looking for. :P

Definitely not one of my finer reviews, admittedly :P I've made more of an effort not to be an ass about the stuff I play anymore.

On 9/16/2017 at 1:16 PM, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

I like ArrCee but his Doom series seems to have been kind of short-lived (he mostly does Quake).

https://www.youtube.com/user/lameatthegame

For what it's worth, I appreciate that he focuses on Quake. Custom Gamer (aka DaZ) used to do quick overview playthroughs of recent Quake single-player maps, but he's been busy doing level design at his own job and helping out around func_msgboard. ArrCee's a good alternative.

I'm familiar enough with Custom Gamer, and the thorough but well-paced style which DaZ uses to analyze and discuss maps, that I consider it a great point of reference for anyone trying to do similarly detailed and knowledgeable videos about Doom WADs. He's got review chops in common with regular /newstuff contributors or bloggers like kmxexii, and plenty of confidence when presenting. I'd love to see some channels focus on the Doom/old-school FPS equivalent of video essays you'd get on a Blu-ray movie release or something.