Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Any idea why the sound is so screwed up?

Now, I love Doom '16 and have had few gripes--and I also feel really bad for all the bullshit complaints Stratton has put up with--but what is up with the sound? I'm just about done with the campaign and the propagation of sound has been consistently fucked. It's not just about some weapons being inexplicably louder than others; countless times, I've watched a cutscene or QE in which a sound was clearly supposed to be heard, but wasn't, or the sound (despite emanating inches from the player's face) was almost inaudible. Many times during the action, it seems like someone has turned nearly all of the sounds down very low, and then suddenly one sound will pop out. Huh? The possessed/unwilling are also really weird, the weaker ones making louder sounds than anything else in the game, even if you're a hundred feet from them. Lastly, I've noticed that it's very rare that an enemy will make any sort of noise upon dying (same with the player) and this negatively affects the intended impact of the violence.

I've never played a game in my life that has had such a fucked-up sound system, and to id's credit, their games have typically had no sound issues that come to mind. Can anyone take a stab at why it's so wack-a-doo with Doom '16?

Can't say I notice any of this. Are you sure this isn't a problem with your setup instead of the actual game?

I've seen this problem personally AND in numerous online videos, and I've read people on here complaining about it too.

Do you use 7.1 headphones by chance?
I've used the same, and I think it might actually be a problem exclusive to those.

I haven't played doom for a few weeks but I don't recall finding the sound to be weird, and your descriptions don't seem to jog my memory at all. I might come back after playing it a bit and see if anything sticks out.

It's usually rather subtle, but it is a thing. I noticed it in the open beta, and in other people's videos as mentioned. It's most obvious probably with explosions from sources other than the player e.g. everyone else's weapons during multiplayer.

Stereo headphones / stereo speakers here, with the typical RealTek onboard audio, so nothing fancy.

The Civ said:

Do you use 7.1 headphones by chance?
I've used the same, and I think it might actually be a problem exclusive to those.

Nah just TV speakers. To me the sound issue is extremely obvious, but I'm into video editing and music composition, so I have an ear for that sort of thing.

Guest MIND

Whenever I hit an enemy player with bullets my speakers and headset make a really loud sound. When I tried it out with Counter Strike, it was fine.

MINDustry said:

Whenever I hit an enemy player with bullets my speakers and headset make a really loud sound. When I tried it out with Counter Strike, it was fine.

you sure that's not just the standard hitsound?

Guest MIND
Almonds said:

you sure that's not just the standard hitsound?

I have no clue. That is one fucking LOUD standard sound. It could be. Maybe I'm just forgetting.

The standard hitsound in doom is no different than the standard one used in many modern shooters. A mid-volume fap! sound effect is what I'm referring to mainly.

Guest MIND
Almonds said:

The standard hitsound in doom is no different than the standard one used in many modern shooters. A mid-volume fap! sound effect is what I'm referring to mainly.

This noise I heard sounds like you've actually shot someone at close range with a bullet.

It's quite jarring. A bit above mid-volume.

It's weird that the noise doesn't repeat itself when someone hits ME. Only when I shoot someone else.

I'm just going to take it as it being normal Doom. Nothing wrong.