Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

Removing special light effects from actors

Hi.

I wish to remove all the special lighting given to actors in a PK3.

What should I look for in the DECORATE files and what kind of edits do I need to do, if not deleting?

You can disable all dynamic light effects in your GZDoom's Options -> Display Options -> OpenGL Options -> Dynamic Light Options. This is the best solution from the point of view that, even if you aren't doing this just for yourself but you're actually making a mod for others to play, every player gets to choose whether to see the dynamic lights or not.

So if I delete GLDEF, the problem will be solved?

@scifista, that doesn't work. I disabled everything in there. I want to remove the light effects, like a light stick decoration with a glow. I want this glow gone.

That will require quite a bit of DECORATE hacking, if I understand what you want.
The menu will only switch off the dynamic lights but not any effect actors the game spawns.

Let me give an example of what i want to remove.

Lets say Brutal Doom Rifle bullets. When fired, they travel while emitting hardware accelerated lighting effects. I know this light was given through DECORATE somewhere. I want remove all the lines/files that handle this lighting, so that there is no special lighting.

That lighting effect.

I still think you need to edit gldefs, not decorate, to accomplish what you want. Look in decorate for the name of the thing that you want to not glow, and then find that class's entry in gldefs and edit or delete the entry. Make sure you still have an unedited copy of the wad or pk3 for multiplayer.

No, he means the light particles that get spawned.

These are not hardware accelerated, these are actual objects in the game and can only be removed by altering the DECORATE (which in case of such a complex mod is a nearly futile endeavour because a large quantity of its code is for these effects.)