Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
igg

Beginners questions

I've been reading this forum for ~1 year now, tried to avoid all possible spoilers and got to play the new Doom on Sunday :-)

1) Upgrade system

As fas as I understand there are 3 entities:
1.1) Weapons: Gained by bots, challenges and exploring (-> weapon points)
1.2) Runes: Have to be found and requires challenges
1.3) Suit: Gained by upgrade locations and Argent cells

Question 1: I accidently hit the exit in ResOps. If I restart Mission 2, will all the missed upgrades (Weapon points, Suit, weapon mods) be added to my overall Mission progress? As far as I understand the only stuff which can't be collected by replaying a mission is ammo and weapons? Everything else can be collected afterwards?

Question 2: While replaying Res Ops there was a box which could be opened during the first run through but afterwards not anymore. Why?

Question 3: Will the menu tell me when Runes are available?

Question 4: Is there a comprehensive list of levels which have points of no return?

2) Specific upgrades

Are the Area-Scanning Technology worth the coins or is the improvement to small? I don't want to miss any secret.

3) Visual quality
For those having 980 Ti/GTX1070 or higher: Do you recommend 8x TSSAA or DSR?

* Suit is gained few seconds after you start the game So Nah .
* Runes don't require challenges, But challenges are needed to upgrade them .

Once you finish a level, You don't miss anything, You can still go back to that stage and look for the weapon upgrade points and secrets from Mission Select Menu .

Menu doesn't tell you when runes are available, You have to look for them by yourself, Runes are usually put in arenas, Rune challenges however are hidden .

There are some objects in game that you can't pick up again (like chainsaw), It's done to prevent spamming .

Area scanning technology is worth points if you want to help yourself finding stuff like Weapon upgrade points easier .

igg said:

As fas as I understand there are 3 entities:
1.1) Weapons: Gained by bots, challenges and exploring (-> weapon points)

Bots give you upgrades, one per bot. The bot is the bonus. Then you get points to upgrade the secondary attachments by killing a percentage of monsters on the map and challanges.

1.2) Runes: Have to be found and requires challenges

yup, but when you find a rune and beat it you'll get the base rune, then you do the rune's specific challange and it upgrades.

1.3) Suit: Gained by upgrade locations and Argent cells

argent cells=upgrade locations

question 1: I accidently hit the exit in ResOps. If I restart Mission 2, will all the missed upgrades (Weapon points, Suit, weapon mods) be added to my overall Mission progress? As far as I understand the only stuff which can't be collected by replaying a mission is ammo and weapons? Everything else can be collected afterwards?

yes, but there are achievments for getting everything in one go, so you'll have to redo a new campaign if you want those.

Question 2: While replaying Res Ops there was a box which could be opened during the first run through but afterwards not anymore. Why?

because you've the upgrade.

Question 3: Will the menu tell me when Runes are available?

when you beat a rune, you'll know it when you see one. Also you get double jump later in the game just incase you were wondering about that as well.

Question 4: Is there a comprehensive list of levels which have points of no return?

what do you mean? like for the whole campaign(kinda like the quiet scenario in mgsv) or levels that dont let you back track?

2) Specific upgrades

Are the Area-Scanning Technology worth the coins or is the improvement to small? I don't want to miss any secret.

Na it helps if your not looking at a guide all the time, or especially at all. It also helps you learn the maps quicker I felt. If you don't pick that I advise grenades, and to use them often.

Any other questions?(edit)I got ninja'd.

igg said:

For those having 980 Ti/GTX1070 or higher: Do you recommend 8x TSSAA or DSR?

where to choose DSR from?? I must be missing it in my options. I have a 980ti and i find tssaa8TX the best fwiw

massivefanofdoom said:

where to choose DSR from?? I must be missing it in my options. I have a 980ti and i find tssaa8TX the best fwiw

I think DSR has to be chosen in the Nvidia control panel. In the ingame menu you just have to select the corresponding higher resolution.

igg said:

I think DSR has to be chosen in the Nvidia control panel. In the ingame menu you just have to select the corresponding higher resolution.

it only lets me choose 1600x900, so if i find and tick DSR, it can try to supersample at 1080p?

MrGlide said:

yes, but there are achievments for getting everything in one go, so you'll have to redo a new campaign if you want those.

This only applies to the save file itself, not the playthrough. You can get the achievements just fine if you replay levels.

My impression is the progress tracking is broken.

I finished right now Keringirs Sanctum. Although I gained and used all praetor token it says I only got 1/4. Since the tokens are gone now I can not complete this challenge.

Edit: Seems to be a display only problem. Athlough it's still marked 1/4 in the mission select menu, I got the Steam Achievement for finishing all challenges.

massivefanofdoom said:

it only lets me choose 1600x900, so if i find and tick DSR, it can try to supersample at 1080p?

You're still on the 1600x900 monitor? :P

DMGUYDZ64 said:

"Which challenge" .

The "gain four praetor token" challenge. It was even marked as completed during the mission but not in the mission select menu.

I think this is the main cause for my confusion and it's a "feature"

Just happened to me, if you restart your latest mission after you had replayed previous missions - then ALL your progressions including discovered secrets, collectibles and weapon masteries during earlier revisits will be lost.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/379720/discussions/0/357286119107723272/

In addition the "gain four praetor token" challenge still seems to be broken. In the mission select menu it says "1/4", when I restart the map it says "4/4" right from the start.

edit: corrected a typo

edit: I think the 1/4 praeter token challenge is a very common bug:
https://m.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/4weg3l/help_doom_2016_praetor_token_glitch/

edit: @massivefanofdoom: To use DSR you have to:

1) Activate the corresponding DSR in Nvidia control panel for your resolution. You can see your DSR factors here (I know it's german but the info tables are english):
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Nvidia-Geforce-Grafikkarte-255598/Tipps/DSR-Downsampling-1140676/

E.g.: I have 1.920 × 1.200. So I select "4x DSR" to downsample from 3.840 × 2.400.

Confirm your changes.

2) Select the DSR source resolution ingame.
E.g.: 3.840 × 2.400.

You Geforce driver know downsamples 3.840 × 2.400 to 1920x1200.

This means: The desired DSR source resolution has to be available in the Doom settings. If not, play around with the screen ratio (set to 16:9 or 16:10 which gives you black bars but more available resolutions).

3) Additional info
If you select DSR 4x, you can ignore the DSR smoothness setting (=> set to 0%).
If you select DSR 2.25x, Nvidia recommends 33%, most games recommend 20-30 %

Other DSR factors are not recommended.

Hope this helps you. Sorry for my bad English ;)