Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dew

Oh no, not this crap: Game sequences that make you ragequit

TraceOfSpades said:

Or whenever the fucking owl in Ocarina of Time shows up.

Worth learning speedrun techniques just to skip ;)

The R-Type Series: All that maze-shit that you have to learn to make it through without getting trolled. Seriously, what were the thinking, when they came up with these shit sequences that are seemingly impossible to anticipate in terms of how they will wreck your ship. Have a look at "R-Type III the third lightning" if you are still looking for a reason to quit playing shmups, and proceed to danmakus like "Mushihimesama", or "CrimzonClover : World ignition"...

The legend of Zelda: A link to the past: That friggin diggin game... Screw that shit...

Final fantasy X: Dodge 200 lighning strikes in a row. Hell, NO! Chocobo race with balloons and birds sucks big time and is largely luck dependant. And don't get me started on Blitzball...

That pole-jumping sequence in SWTW: I am not good at those anyways, but this one takes the top spot on my "OH PLEASE NOT THAT SHIT!"-list, for being somewhat irritating (for me), rather long, and having hurt floor as well... RIIIIIBBIIIIIIIIIKSSS!

Speaking of custom Doom content, it doesn't get worse than the Belial battle in CIF3. The boss battles are way too grindy in general, but this one brought it to a whole new level. Between Belial's massive health pool, having to chase him around constantly, worrying about the super-tight jetpack fuel reserve, the frankly awkward jetpack handling, watching your support troops ineffectively jump off the islands and having to strategically manage all the ammo and items, this is one of the wittiest and coolest boss fights I've ever seen. Too bad it's an exhausting 1hr+ (or so I recall it) marathon where even savescumming doesn't make things much easier or less frustrating. It's both the best and the worst, I'm glad that I could beat it, but I'm never replaying it again.

What? Little d was easy... you should've seen the flayers on Hell mode.

For me, we might as well add "any game that saves before unskippable cutscenes" to the list of ragequit-inducing trauma. Bonus points if the cutscene is over a minute long, and extra bonus points if it's not even a boss, but a random difficulty spike.

Yeah,he wasn't that hard, as long as you arent a melee character. Also neither were the flayers. The guys that shoot the lightning at you in act 4 on the other hand... And don't forget pre-patch oblivion mages... Iron maiden is scary. I ragequit after dying to that crap with my barbarian. Mostly because it was hardcore mode...

dethtoll said:

As I've gotten older I've grown to like Xen. It's a huge, sudden departure from the rest of the game, but overall feels a bit like a "final exam." That being said -- Nihilanth still fucking sucks.

I actually like the concept of Xen and some bits of it are quite interesting to play. But I wasn't referring just to Xen in my criticism. Even before you get to Xen there are some annoying/lazy jumping-puzzle style sequences. The overall impression as you get towards the end of Half Life is that the designers perhaps ran out of ideas.

Speaking of Diablo...

First time I tried hardcore mode, I was doing well enough as a barbarian. Then I come to the Chaos Sanctuary. Why, hello there mr oblivion knight. Let me just use whirlwind on you an-IRON MAIDEN!

That was also the last time I tried hardcore mode.