Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
⇛Marnetmar⇛

Cruis'n Velocity - A racing game on the Doom engine

Maybe making a game of a genre heavily reliant on elegant physics in an engine with a really janky concept of motion wasn't the best idea after all...

Some of us worked on these Graphic State products. I don't know how any of them got published. They are 100% definitely using the doom engine and probably unlicensed at that.

Vorpal said:

Some of us worked on these Graphic State products. I don't know how any of them got published. They are 100% definitely using the doom engine and probably unlicensed at that.

Since these were released post-GPL licensing of the Doom engine, and if they do indeed run on it, the worst that could come of them is possible legal action on part of id software for not releasing these games' source codes. They probably got away with it due to a combination of being overall forgettable, similar-looking to other primitive 3D games on the system, and id possibly not caring enough to bother investigating if they were suspicious or not having the willingness to do anything about it if they found out. This was during Doom 3's development cycle, was it not? Perhaps that was a much higher priority.

Stapler said:

AKA the Jaguar Doom engine.

Well then, I didn't know that. Heh.

Pretty sketchy of them to have done so.

Every single fan-made Doom engine racing mod/wad thingy (shit like Doom Kart) is way, way better than this, no matter how far back you go in Doom history. This shit feels like the polar opposite of Doom, instead of moving swiftly and speedily you just slug along... Ugh. This looks worse than most NES bootlegs, ffs. Pole Position shits on this.

There were a lot of racing games that used a "Doom-like" engine back in the day. E.g. Manic Karts. Needless to say, they looked pretty boxy/flat/bland.

And yet that was a major improvement over Super Karts, which actually was more like Wolf3D:

lol stairs? they didn't even think to fake the slopes with untextured steps? It would have been completely invisible considering there are no floor textures.

40oz said:

lol stairs? they didn't even think to fake the slopes with untextured steps? It would have been completely invisible considering there are no floor textures.

Not only that, but Ultima Underworld, which was released before Doom, actually had slopes. To think that almost a decade later, programmers couldn't be bothered to implement an already dated feature in a genre of gaming that really and truly needs slopes if you want to not look like you're stuck in Mode 7, is absurd.

I actually think that a racing game with stairs everywhere in place of slopes is a hilarious (in a good way) concept for a game, and the lack of slopes is the least problem of this game, in comparison with its physics, maneuverability, road design, and graphics.

I'm really loving the sense of speed you get in this game. It really puts into perspective just how fast Doom Guy is, as he apparently runs considerably faster than a vehicle moving at over 100 MPH.

AgentSpork said:

I'm really loving the sense of speed you get in this game. It really puts into perspective just how fast Doom Guy is, as he apparently runs considerably faster than a vehicle moving at over 100 MPH.

As much as all the effort into this game should be appreciated, you'd think the creator would have taken more advantage of the Doom engine for a racing game.

If it really is all in Doom format, someone should figure out how to rip the game's assets / levels.

Linguica said:

If it really is all in Doom format, someone should figure out how to rip the game's assets / levels.

I think I had tried do that ages ago and I couldn't really make sense of either game's resources as PWADs. PWAD-like maybe, but not Doom format.

MetroidJunkie said:

The real question is why use a Doom(ish) engine to make a racing game on the GBA when it's capable of polygons? Granted, the amount you could use is obviously going to be quite small but it's not like Cruis'n Velocity was taking advantage of the 2.5-D engine to make super complex environments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0tyJkgvTio#t=01m57s

There's also this example, which showcases partial or fully polygonal games, all of which can generate sloped geometry. It's completely absurd and inexcusable to use an engine which can only do it halfway.

I could understand using a 2.5-D engine for first person shooters and the like since the amount of enemies would require very simplistic amounts of polygons to work on the GBA (Nightfire was actually pretty impressive back in the day, offering fairly sharp sprites considering what it was on in addition to 3D environments) but it seems as though sprite based racing games on the system are just slippier. Or maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me because of the abrupt angle shifts on the cars rather than the smooth rotation offered by polygonal ones. For some reason, Need for Speed (Which is fully polygonal, including the cars) just seems easier to control, or about as much as you can with a d-pad control scheme.