Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zerthex

my doom facesprite request

Recommended Posts

Doom: Schoolyard Bully Edition?

Share this post


Link to post
Maes said:

Doom: Schoolyard Bully Edition?

wat? also there are two face spritesheets in the file

Share this post


Link to post

Instead of always asking people to do this job for you (and then your wad turning out to be low-effort and getting forgotten anyway, which makes it seem like it was the person's wasted time), what about you learning how to edit DEHACKED (for vanilla compatibility) and/or DECORATE (for ZDoom-only compatibility) by yourself? HUD graphics are even simpler, just rename the graphics to match the default HUD ones. I don't believe that it's actually impossible for you to set up any wad content editor on your computer or to directly access any computer on which it is possible.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, at first I only saw the buzzcut jock/bully guy. Now I see there's also "depressed blond goatee guy".

Share this post


Link to post
scifista42 said:

Instead of always asking people to do this job for you (and then your wad turning out to be low-effort and getting forgotten anyway, which makes it seem like it was the person's wasted time), what about you learning how to edit DEHACKED (for vanilla compatibility) and/or DECORATE (for ZDoom-only compatibility) by yourself? HUD graphics are even simpler, just rename the graphics to match the default HUD ones. I doubt that you are actually incapable of setting up any wad content editor on your computer or directly accessing any computer on which it is possible.

i cant! the only doom editor that works on my computer *that doesn't crash then freeze my entire computer* is the eureka doom editor! and that only makes levels!


and dont tell me to "just get a new computer" because i cant! i'm piss poor at the moment!

Share this post


Link to post

Never heard of Eureka, but since yours is purely a graphics job (not even textures or sprites), have you tried Wintex 5.0? I don't know the specs of your computer, but that should work even on Windows 3.1/95/98/Me/XP machines. Then there's always the "old iron" XWE or older versions of SLADE, if you can afford at least Windows XP support.

N.B., PNG support may be non-existent or sketchy on older editors. It's recommended that you manually trim the faces from your sprite sheets, convert them to 256-color .BMP and change the background color to cyan.

Share this post


Link to post
Maes said:

Never heard of Eureka, but since yours is purely a graphics job (not even textures or sprites), have you tried Wintex 5.0? I don't know the specs of your computer, but that should work even on Windows 3.1/95/98/Me/XP machines. Then there's always the "old iron" XWE or older versions of SLADE, if you can afford at least Windows XP support.

N.B., PNG support may be non-existent or sketchy on older editors. It's recommended that you manually trim the faces from your sprite sheets, convert them to 256-color .BMP and change the background color to cyan.

im on a mac

Share this post


Link to post

Then SLADE is the best option, and a pretty good one at that. AFAIK it's been ported to Linux and MAC as well:

http://slade.mancubus.net/index.php?page=downloads

In case that you have a pre-OSX 10.6 Mac (which I don't really wish upon anyone), then probably your best option is to run one of the oldest DOS and Windows versions under emulation, e.g. by using DOSBOX, or trying a Windows emulator like WINE.

Share this post


Link to post
Maes said:

Then SLADE is the best option, and a pretty good one at that. AFAIK it's been ported to Linux and MAC as well:

http://slade.mancubus.net/index.php?page=downloads

In case that you have a pre-OSX 10.6 Mac (which I don't really wish upon anyone), then probably your best option is to run one of the oldest DOS and Windows versions under emulation, e.g. by using DOSBOX, or trying a Windows emulator like WINE.

i've used it it crashes and freezes my computer and on wine it doesn't work

Share this post


Link to post

What are the specs of your Mac? With so little hardware variability, unless you have done something unusual to your system, have a really old OS X version and/or have hardware damage (e.g. bad memory) you shouldn't be experiencing crashes.

Unless your Mac is some old PowerPC-based G3/G4/G5 clunker, I think you can safely upgrade beyond OSX 10.6 for free, at least up to 10.7 or something and start afresh.

Share this post


Link to post
Zerthex said:

on wine it doesn't work

If you're using a Windows emulator, I think you should follow the "Windows Requirements" from SLADE3's webpage, which say that you need to have "Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Runtime" installed before running SLADE3. (I have no experience with either Mac or Wine, though, so I don't know if there's any problem with that.)

Share this post


Link to post
scifista42 said:

If you're using a Windows emulator, I think you should follow the "Windows Requirements" from SLADE3's webpage, which say that you need to have "Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Runtime" installed before running SLADE3. (I have no experience with either Mac or Wine, though, so I don't know if there's any problem with that.)

the windows emulator does not work

Maes said:

What are the specs of your Mac? With so little hardware variability, unless you have done something unusual to your system, have a really old OS X version and/or have hardware damage (e.g. bad memory) you shouldn't be experiencing crashes.

Unless your Mac is some old PowerPC-based G3/G4/G5 clunker, I think you can safely upgrade beyond OSX 10.6 for free, at least up to 10.7 or something and start afresh.

i have a mac OS X from 2005.. i got it for free and a garage sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Zerthex said:

i have a mac OS X from 2005.. i got it for free and a garage sale.


What model of Mac and what version of OSX?

Share this post


Link to post

And what model of Mac, precisely? iMac? Of what year? What product code? RAM, CPU?

In theory, it should be an Intel-based Mac, which at least gives you the option of upgrading it to OSX 10.7 "Lion" or, if worse comes to worst, to ditch OSX entirely (since you claim it functions so badly for you) and install Ubuntu Linux or even some flavor of Windows on it (maybe up to 7, judging on the year you got this). Of course you could also simply reinstall OSX (either the current 10.6 or upgrade to Lion) and start afresh and see if this makes the problems go away.

Share this post


Link to post

2005 tells that it's based on PowerPC. he'd be very lucky to be able to run most modern software. Wine won't work because it requires x86. SLADE might be buildable, but it's doubtful anyone tests or fixes bugs for such an old version of Mac OS.

He might get better luck installing some form of Linux on it, such as Debian. Forget Ubuntu though -- it hasn't supported PowerPC for years.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, then the information that his Mac has Snow Leopard is incorrect -Leopard maybe (10.5), but not Snow Leopard (10.6) which ended PPC support. Well, if it's really a PowerPC-based relic, then going Linux is the best course of action, even though it doesn't guarantee good software availability unless one is a hacker type that can substitute skill and a DIY attitude for the lack of modern hardware. He'd have to build most software from source anyway.

Quite honestly though, ANY used PC from 2005-2006 (so late Pentium 4 class) will wipe the floor with even the best PowerPC-based MACs ever made, especially in terms of software compatiblity. A Pentium 4 or early Core, with enough RAM (read: at least 2 GB), can even run Windows 7 and 10 acceptably, give access to a far vaster software library and a complete system can be had for under $50, while parts such as motherboards etc. for even less.

Share this post


Link to post

Why dont do this Zerthex?
-Go to an online buyers market.
-Put your Mac for sale at price that can help you get a better PC.

-If the buyers say the price is too much (like all of them), then you could sell it as an antique, and thus getaway with a high price >:D

Or

-Sell the Mac at a good price (enough actually)
-Use the money to buy used computer parts (CPU, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse. The basics).
-Assemble it and test it. If your happy, then woohoo!

Or

-Sell each component seperately, with a SLIGHTLY high price for each one (pretend i have something worth $400 in its used condition, then i amp it up to $450-$500).

Share this post


Link to post

It's pretty sad that, despite all the hype, those older Macs end up having a reuse/forward compatibility value of almost zero, with Apple's decision to switch CPU architecture (yet AGAIN!) and screw their users in the ass.

Even 15-yo used Pentium IIIs/Celerons and early Pentium 4's have higher practical value and better forwards compatibility.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×