Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RightField

Valiant monster pack request

Bit curious as to why this doesn't exist yet. A replacement pack with the monster rooster from Valiant. I found the balance to be really excellent in Skillsaw's megawad and it's a bit sad to not be able to play against those same enemies on other wads. I'm not that wad savvy so I wondered if it was too much to ask for someone to make this? Anyone with free time on their hands? :)

Just open Valiant.wad in SLADE3 and delete all maps, textures, flats, patches, map definitions, intermission texts, demos (etc.) from it.

Yeah but then the Super Mancubus would replace the Baron, instead of the Cybruiser and I have no idea how to fix that. Also there's the archnorb and all that.

RightField said:

Also there's the arachnorb and all that.

Exactly. It wouldn't make sense to replace Doom monsters in an existing wad with Valiant monsters, because what would the Arachnorb replace? What would the suicide bomber replace? The mod would turn all blue torches into Diabolist bosses. It makes more sense to just selectively rip the resources from Valiant and use them to make new wads.

Or, you know, replace iwad monsters with fitting valiant monsters.

*secretly hopes Skillsaw comes in and saves the day*

The monsters in Valiant replace Doom monsters necessarily for technical reasons, because the wad was made to be compatible with PrBoom-plus. Do you actually want a ZDoom-only compatible resource wad where the monsters will not replace anything, but be usable alongside standard Doom monsters?

If so, it's going to be easy. Valiant already contains all (or most?) of the new monster's definitions in DECORATE format (for ZDoom). So, all you need is to take Valiant.wad and remove everything except the monster sprites and the DECORATE lump, and then edit the DECORATE definitions of the monsters to give them their own unique spawn numbers, instead of the "replaces <stock_Doom_monster>" keyword.

I'd want a valiant monster wad that replaces the standard iwad monsters and can be loaded alongside any pwad to get "dat fast valiant action" to any level pack.

As said I'm not quite prepared for getting in to how to do this myself as it would take several days when this is probably a quick job for someone who's used to working with these tools. Also I'd believe that there's a broader market for this request as well so it should by all means be done by someone who knows what they're doing. :)

RightField said:

I'd want a valiant monster wad that replaces the standard iwad monsters

Valiant monsters are: Super Imp, Super Demon, Super Mancubus, Pyro Demon, Cybruiser, Arachnotron (who spawns Aracnorbs upon death), Aracnorb, Suicide Bomber, Diabolist (the final boss). Which particular standard IWAD monsters do you want each of them to replace?

Thanks for the response here, really appreciate it. :)

Imp - Super Imp
Demon - Super Demon
Hell Knight - Pyro Demon
Baron - Cybruiser
Arachnotron - Arachnotron that spawns arachnorbs randomly
Mancubus - some percent chance that it can be replaced with a Super Mancubus? (if this is possible)
also the same thing with the Suicide Bomber that can randomly replace any zombieguy 2% of the time or so.

I don't even know if this is possible, but it's the ideal situation, at least.

I've removed most Valiant resources, renamed some sprites and sounds, and tweaked some of skillsaw's DECORATE + SNDINFO.

http://www.filedropper.com/valiantmonsters

Super Mancubus replaces standard Mancubus with 10% probability. Suicide bomber replaces standard Zombieman, Shotgunguy or Chaingunner with 2% probability. Dying Arachnotron spawns an Aracnorb with 50% probability. Mancubus and Super Mancubus don't hurt each other. Arachnotron and Aracnorb also don't hurt each other. Diabolist is in the wad, it doesn't replace any monster, but you can spawn him via console, his classname is ValiantFinalBoss. Otherwise it should be exactly as you said.

Thanks! Would it be possible to make the random chance of spawning a suicide bomber be activated by being hit by a weapon? So a Zombieman would have a X% chance of switching to the bomber.

scifista42 said:

I've removed most Valiant resources, renamed some sprites and sounds, and tweaked some of skillsaw's DECORATE + SNDINFO.

Wow thanks for doing this. Appreciate it.

scifista42 said:

http://www.filedropper.com/valiantmonsters

Super Mancubus replaces standard Mancubus with 10% probability. Suicide bomber replaces standard Zombieman, Shotgunguy or Chaingunner with 2% probability. Dying Arachnotron spawns an Aracnorb with 50% probability. Mancubus and Super Mancubus don't hurt each other. Arachnotron and Aracnorb also don't hurt each other. Diabolist is in the wad, it doesn't replace any monster, but you can spawn him via console, his classname is ValiantFinalBoss. Otherwise it should be exactly as you said.

Holy hell, it's purrrfect! Thanks for bothering with this Scifista, you're a kind soul! :)

everennui said:

Would it be possible to make the random chance of spawning a suicide bomber be activated by being hit by a weapon?

The randomizer takes effect immediately after the monster is spawned, that is, immediately after the map is loaded, or immediately after you summon the monster via console. Do I understand it right that you'd want a monster to randomly transform into another monster later, while the player may be already seeing and fighting it? It would be possible (if a little more tricky), but the current behavior seems more preferable to me.

Hmm, I think I should write something that gives any random former human a random chance of spontaneously transforming into a cyberdemon. That's the type of mod the community needs!