Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bloodshot

Hello, old friend

Thanks to the little "static" box that lets you place props with no effect on limits, actual maps are possible now

Are you saying that black area can have a skybox now? I mean is that an open area where you just drop props with no walls and connection portals?

id.dav said:

Are you saying that black area can have a skybox now? I mean is that an open area where you just drop props with no walls and connection portals?

I'm assuming the black background is just black player-blocking volumes. And yeah, it's just an open area where you drop in props so you can forget about making anything truly large or elaborate.

Now I'm thinking a "sandbox" module of sorts that the author can populate with themed platform props and allows for configurable size, deathplane properties, and selectable skybox graphic would be a good move for them to make.

Jaxxoon R said:

Now I'm thinking a "sandbox" module of sorts that the author can populate with themed platform props and allows for configurable size, deathplane properties, and selectable skybox graphic would be a good move for them to make.

Just what I thought - a big non-renderable shape....it could be very big since it's just a box, but then I'm affraid it would fit only open ended levels like hell....prefab rooms are not allowed, unless there's outdoor renderable shape for inserting/connecting a room into it)

Now all we need is a snappable grid like Hammer's and the ability to use a mouse / easier interface for computers and bam, we're done.

This is some great fun. Your scoring is busted and it only counts suicides, however.

My fav map from q3a. Sweet
Jump pads ejects are a bit off course.
Pad that catapults you for gauss is not far enough into abyss, so when u grab that armor on the bridge u cant jump down on the mentioned pad.

Great piece of work anyway, mate!

ShadesMaster said:

FYI there's now another 'Longest Yard' snapmap out there, the main difference being the scale is larger....

Hope the one you mentioned is more spacious, cause this one is a bit crampy.
And that gauss is a game breaker imo. I know sniper isnt as powerful as rail but this bastard is just too much :(

Dragonfly said:

Seeing this might make me re-open Doom'16 for the first time in a while!

Do it! There are going to be TONS of good maps now that all the console/"modern" elements have been made optional. You can have weapons picked up on touch, players carrying all weapons at the same time, jump pads with completely customizable arc, distance, speed, and there's two really large rooms added so with blocking objects anything you can build out of rectangles is possible now.

I firmly believe we're mere weeks away from Snapmap having an active multiplayer community. All we need are a few good maps and boom, Snapmap MP is better than main MP.

symmetron said:

Do it! There are going to be TONS of good maps now that all the console/"modern" elements have been made optional. You can have weapons picked up on touch, players carrying all weapons at the same time, jump pads with completely customizable arc, distance, speed, and there's two really large rooms added so with blocking objects anything you can build out of rectangles is possible now.

I firmly believe we're mere weeks away from Snapmap having an active multiplayer community. All we need are a few good maps and boom, Snapmap MP is better than main MP.

Without real world editor it is simply impossible to beat official maps! Go and make something like Heatwave and then come back....you simply can't do it...it is great they adding new features to SM but the biggest problem still remains - locking you within a prefab room, it doesnt matter how big it is it's still a fixed environment and with that stuff noone is able to do really awesome stuff like what devs do.

id.dav said:

Without real world editor it is simply impossible to beat official maps! Go and make something like Heatwave and then come back....you simply can't do it...it is great they adding new features to SM but the biggest problem still remains - locking you within a prefab room, it doesnt matter how big it is it's still a fixed environment and with that stuff noone is able to do really awesome stuff like what devs do.

id.dav said:

what is it with forum users getting custom titles and, regardless of context, they ALWAYS make the meanings and reasonings behind them being there clear as day?

VentedPennies said:

Nothing he said was "salty" or untrue. ID throws people scraps and they think it's a feast, mostly because they don't know any better.

If you keep this up I'm going to run out of salt gifs. Snapmap is a technical feat for modern engine tech no matter how you twist it, and a brilliant way of solving the overwhelming overheads of modern level engineering.

id.dav said:

ONLY in terms of graphics. That's it. In terms of gameplay you can make a map that is better than any of the official maps simply by virtue of not including loadouts/two weapon limit and not drowning it in one-shot kill superweapons. I expected to be able to do this at launch so I was disappointed initially. But I was patient, honed my skills with the available features, and now the GAMEPLAY-RELEVANT features that were missing have been added. So what if these maps are all blocking objects and the lighting looks bad?

The only big remaining limitation is that we can't move objects (only player and AI). If they added a simple animator node that let you slide a blocking volume or a hypothetical door object left-right or up-down we could build doors and elevators. Who knows, maybe they are working on that. And if not, just use transparent blockers as "force fields", Star Wars style instead of doors, and jump pads instead of elevators. Works well enough.

ShadesMaster said:

FYI there's now another 'Longest Yard' snapmap out there, the main difference being the scale is larger....

sorry to bump this one specific post in the thread all the way back up, but are there any videos on this map you talk about? sounds like it might be pretty interesting.

Wow i never thought somebody would ever be able to do this, Crazy stuff are coming out on SnapCrap Nowadays .

bloodshot said:

Thanks to the little "static" box that lets you place props with no effect on limits, actual maps are possible now

Btw, what did you mean by this? I make some objects static in my maps, but it doesn't free up the object %, only thing it frees up is network %

Or are you reffering to that big yellow room thing? :s

Doktor Mandrake said:

Btw, what did you mean by this? I make some objects static in my maps, but it doesn't free up the object %, only thing it frees up is network %

Or are you reffering to that big yellow room thing? :s

Static objects don't affect the Network limit, but they do still affect every other one, so he was mistaken about that (or perhaps just misspoke).