Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WNivek

Extra player projectiles in Eternity?

In Eternity, is there a way to get more that 3 different player-weapon projectiles? (the 3 of which I speak are objects 34, 35 and 36 - Rocket, Plasma and BFG normaly) I seem to remember that monster\object code pointers don't work in weaponry, and I don't see any new weapon mnemonics mentioned in the eternity docs. I had a faint glimmer of hope for Spawn, but trying to use it in a weapon crashes the game because it is, after all, intended for use in game objects and not weaponry.

BTW, sorry to repost this question like the lame newbie I probably am, but I realised that it's original location (at the end of another thread I started) didn't seem to attract any attention from people willing\capable of answering, so I'm posting it again, on it's own, so that I might get some sort of answer.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question, but the Eternity forum is really the best place for asking Eternity related questions :)

[angry]*rolls his eyes* When I'm not writing Bex files from scratch, I do use Dehacked, if only for a starting point. I know about code pointers, and I have a complete list of all the ones in plain vanilla Doom 2 (and their Boom nmonics), and I also have the docs that came with Eternity which describe the new code pointer nmonics which were introduced in eternity\mbf. If you actualy tried reading my question, you'd realise that I know more about this than you appear to think I do. I wasn't born yesterday, you know.[/angry] *takes a deep breath*

Unfortunatly, my semi-extensive parusal of the boom\mbf\eternity nmonics hasn't led me to the answer I seek. I am looking for some way to have more than just 3 object-producing weapons, each with their own projectiles. Sure, a can make all the weapons produce objects, but the only ways I know of would result in only as many as 3 unique ones: a rocket, a plasma shot, and a bfg blast (if I havn't changed objects 34, 35 and 36 from their normal Doom selves). I'm hoping maybe I missed something added to eternity\mbf to allow other weapon projectiles. As I mentioned, I had hope for the Spawn nmonic, but as it was intended for use in objects and not weapons, attempting to use it would crash the game.

Any helpful responces, such as politely informing me that such weapon alteration is impossible, or that you know exactly what I mean and can help me out, would be greatly appreciated.

(BTW, I know that [angry] isn't valid vB code. It's not supposed to be. Don't bother telling me.)

WNivek said:

[angry]*rolls his eyes* When I'm not writing Bex files from scratch, I do use Dehacked, if only for a starting point. I know about code pointers, and I have a complete list of all the ones in plain vanilla Doom 2 (and their Boom nmonics), and I also have the docs that came with Eternity which describe the new code pointer nmonics which were introduced in eternity\mbf. If you actualy tried reading my question, you'd realise that I know more about this than you appear to think I do. I wasn't born yesterday, you know.[/angry] *takes a deep breath*

Unfortunatly, my semi-extensive parusal of the boom\mbf\eternity nmonics hasn't led me to the answer I seek. I am looking for some way to have more than just 3 object-producing weapons, each with their own projectiles. Sure, a can make all the weapons produce objects, but the only ways I know of would result in only as many as 3 unique ones: a rocket, a plasma shot, and a bfg blast (if I havn't changed objects 34, 35 and 36 from their normal Doom selves). I'm hoping maybe I missed something added to eternity\mbf to allow other weapon projectiles. As I mentioned, I had hope for the Spawn nmonic, but as it was intended for use in objects and not weapons, attempting to use it would crash the game.

Any helpful responces, such as politely informing me that such weapon alteration is impossible, or that you know exactly what I mean and can help me out, would be greatly appreciated.

(BTW, I know that [angry] isn't valid vB code. It's not supposed to be. Don't bother telling me.)

dont get too mad, its only railgunner. he can't help it.

One current way to achieve this is to use the PlayerStartScript mnemonic, which is currently undocumented due to the fact that it may change soon.

Right now, however, you set the "Unknown 1" field of the frame that uses this codepointer to a FraggleScript script number to launch. Inside that script you could do literally anything, including spawning projectiles and even keeping track of your own ammo count, which could be displayed on the screen via FSPics. However, FraggleScript is not that simple to learn.

I will set about adding this and some other simple code pointers right now. Thanks for the reminder. Its something that I had intended to do a long time ago, but never got around to doing.