Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Does SJW-reated stuff get helled because the term is pejorative?

Oddly enough, according to Wikipedia, "social justice" as a term dates back to the 19th century, and "social justice warrior" emerged in the 90s as a positive term. Evidently, the Gamegate controversy, as well as the rhetoric of Milo Yiannopoulos, have successfully demonized the term, and Vice commented that "The problem is, that's not a real category of people. It's simply a way to dismiss anyone who brings up social justice—and often those people are feminists."

This is very interesting, because I myself have, up until very recently, apparently been using the term incorrectly. I was under the impression it referred to a very specific type of extremist (regardless of background) who has emotional and communication issues, manifested by a controlling need to police both language and behavior so as to avoid inducing trauma. However, the term seems to imply that anyone who has a vested interest in civil rights is an SJW, and basically, that feminists in particular are scumbags. So it ends up dismissing both the counterproductive folks with weird control issues, and the noble folks who are trying to make a positive difference in regards to civil rights.

This gets further muddied by the fact that the term is seen as an insult espoused by misogynists, regardless of who uses it. I myself, am going to stop using the term, but I will still recognize that there are literal whistleblowers who, no matter their politics, are only able to tolerate reality if it conforms to their personal sense of what's "right." The question is: Do these folks exist in large or small numbers; and, what is the source of the ideology from which this attitude derives?

You're acting as if words/phrases don't change in meaning. Recent interpretations of SJW have been radically different than previous times, in the negative sense. As for why it gets post-helled often, I'm guessing it is due to the polarizing, current nature of "SJW" debates that carries on for literally no good reason over the most inane things. Two sides unwilling to see each other eye-to-eye with a third party mocking both of them is not a productive, though often humorous, thread.

Decay said:

You're acting as if words/phrases don't change in meaning.

...I just spent several paragraphs talking about how the meaning has changed.

I discredit anybody who is hypersensitive or gets offended on behalf of other people.

TraceOfSpades said:

So you're not confused as to why "SJW Threads" get helled?

Sigh. Okay, we're getting into semantics here. One definition of confusion is a "lack of understanding; uncertainty." So yes, I am confused in that sense, because I don't see how starting threads about the concept tends to lead to getting helled, but Decay pretty much cleared that up by stating that people will bicker back and forth on either side without really making any progress. I guess I didn't think the thread through, I was just pondering about the controversy of the term, and why there are people who behave that way.

I tried a SJW thread and Linguica PH'ed it in a heartbeat. It's funny to laugh at these morons. Not quite sure why it would be PH'ed so quickly.

Look at Mizzou and Melissa Click. How do you not make fun of someone that idiotic?
You think those black people actually gave a fuck about her? The answer is no.

I feel hatred toward absolutely no one. No point in it. I think the people who often get labeled as SJW are emotionally traumatized and need therapy. There's no purpose in demonizing them.

A thread about the latest "look at these fucking SJWs" flavor of the week anecdote generally gets helled because it is never made in good faith. It is almost always just an excuse to complain about people the author doesn't like, and only invites yet another round of the same dumb pissing matches instead of any sort of worthwhile discussion.

So to get the question I'm really interested in: Is the ideology attributable to a particular political movement, or something more broad?

I was sober earlier when I first wrote that thread and after a puff, it appears to be a directionless mess.

GoatLord said:

So to get the question I'm really interested in: Is the ideology attributable to a particular political movement, or something more broad?

I have noticed that people who tend to be on the liberal side are typically more likely to be describable as a Social Justice Warrior.

People who are labelled as "Social Justice Warriors" are typically people who have standards above saying the first uneducated thing that comes to mind and then complaining about freedom of speech/political correctness if anybody calls them out on it. They're usually found looking to progress society, but thankfully the brave Rational Thinkers of the world are always there (always) to fight for keeping culture and society where it belongs: the 1950s. Social Justice Warriors will also destroy video games with feminism.

TraceOfSpades said:

I discredit anybody who is hypersensitive or gets offended on behalf of other people.

You must absolutely detest yourself then. Also, you mean to say people are discredited to you. That they lose credit in your eyes.

You see, this is what I mean about the whole "saying the first uneducated thing that comes to mind" thing.

Hey man the 1950s had like economic boom and a distinct lack of Keeping Up With The Kardashians.

an_mutt said:

People who are labelled as "Social Justice Warriors" are typically people who have standards above saying the first uneducated thing that comes to mind and then complaining about freedom of speech/political correctness if anybody calls them out on it. They're usually found looking to progress society, but thankfully the brave Rational Thinkers of the world are always there (always) to fight for keeping culture and society where it belongs: the 1950s. Social Justice Warriors will also destroy video games with feminism.

If their way of progressing is through censorship, I believe that to be a step backwards, which seems like what they are doing. I also would like to make a rebuttal to your statement that "rational thinkers", who I guess you mean those opposed to sjw movements want culture to stay in the 50s. I don't want that. I just fight the censorship of ideas. Isn't making sweeping generalizations about people one of the main things sjws fight against?

Occam's razor. SJW stuff is helled because active admins and mods are radprogs themselves.

I always thought they were helled because (like other politic threads) all they turn into is salty insult matches where low grade horseshit is thrown left and right and nobody comes out looking good.

Fun to watch, not to clean.

I got called an SJW for having empathy for other humans, so I guess that makes me one. In my experience, the people claiming SJWs get offended easily are much more prone to offense themselves.

GoatLord said:

I like to believe that SJWs are to liberals what "bigoted rednecks" are to conservatives. They are both extremes in their own respective movements that in their fanaticism, ironically, end up doing a disservice to their own cause.

Tarnsman said:

Hey man the 1950s had like economic boom and a distinct lack of Keeping Up With The Kardashians.

I'm pretty sure nonwhite Americans would rather watch 20 hours of Keeping Up With The Kardashians then live in the 50s

I usually don't take things seriously when people use the term "SJW" because it generally just means "anything to do with left-wing or socially liberal views" at this point.

A fan of feminism? LGBT rights? Anti-racism? You're a SJW cu*k.

That's basically how it seems to go, anyways. No critical analysis, no debate, no rebuttal, no nothing. Just namecalling as though "SJW" dismisses any points being made.

EDIT: (lmao is that c-word - and not the real c-word - actually censored on here?)

mistercow said:

Saying sjw unironically pretty much tells me you're a big idiot who has nothing of value to say

It generates YouTube views, though!

Those feminists get pwn3d real hard

PureSlime said:

It generates YouTube views, though!

Those feminists get pwn3d real hard

Yes, those evil feminists and their evil plan to...uh...do something or other.

Mr. Freeze said:

Yes, those evil feminists and their evil plan to...uh...do something or other.

Their feminist cabal gathers once every full moon to discuss things like...

Fighting against misogyny!

Those cunning evil people.

Most of the time I hear the word sjw, its to refer to those who subscribe to the ideas of rape culture, third wave feminism, safe spaces, race-based privilege. I do hear the term thrown around too much though, and even used as a general insult, almost if not more so used as the word racist or sexist as generic insults.