Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Crusades

I tried starting a recording and couldn't get it to work, shortest ironman run ever

I'll attempt this as soon as someone can point out how to use -warp in a doom 1 wad, though.

Marcaek said:

I tried starting a recording and couldn't get it to work, shortest ironman run ever

I'll attempt this as soon as someone can point out how to use -warp in a doom 1 wad, though.

warp E M

In the case of Crusades: warp 4 1

Here's my entry (glboom+ complevel 3), finished in about 80 minutes. No secret map bonus points although I did find the entrance. Just didn't dare to go for it... Hence I doubt I'll stick at the top for long.

Hadn't played this wad before but I did catch Alfonzos stream last night so I was prepared for some of the more lethal encounters in the early maps. Quite a fun set of maps overall although for someone who's way more accustomed to pummeling through everything with the SSG the gameplay feels kinda slow with the SG being the primary weapon. Barons behind every other corner slow things down as well since in these kind of maps, where maneuvering room is relatively limited, they are a high priority target.

Marcaek said:

glboom-plus -complevel 3 -record marc_ironman2 -skill 4 -warp 4 1

This takes me to e1m4

My command line parameters are:

glboom-plus -iwad doom.wad -file CRUSADES.wad -complevel 3 -record ironman_crusades_arch -longtics -warp 4 1

I suppose -iwad makes the difference for the command, but -episode worked out anyway. Thanks duders.

hi. I beat the maps (including e4m9): http://www.mediafire.com/download/vod9ll85954ofc9/crusades_ironman_rbk.lmp

took around 75 minutes. There's a cute skip or two, but none of them are particularly useful (I should get bonus points for the YSK grab in e4m3 :p). My entire strat was just built around saving ammo for e4m-baron, and in general to save cells for dick-traps and the eventual bfg (which means using shotty for pretty much all non-urgent situations, zzzZZZzz). Thus this demo is going to be boring as sin to watch, ultra-conservative play (except m01, I guess), but whatever.

Full disclosure: I looked through the maps once with iddqd/idfa (not recording or anything) to learn the layouts, and where the secret map entrance was, etc. Not sure if that's against the rules or whatever but this demo was the only recorded attempt I made.

./prboom-plus -iwad DOOM.WAD -complevel 3 -nomusic

cannonball said:

... I kill the one at the back whilst the front one has me for lunch.

*Shakes fist violently*

CURSE YOU BLOCKMAP BUG!!!

It also seems as though Alfonzo is going to have a handful to deal with once he gets back online :P

https://www.twitch.tv/an_mutt

Playing this thing. I will be dead very soon, most likely. Wish me luck!

EDIT: And we're done! Almost made it through E4M4 having spent most of it with health in the low double digits, and died at basically the last monster of the map. The most crushing of defeats.

EDITEDIT: I recently started playing wads through Doomlauncher, and I really like how it logs my details of playing files, so have a stats thing of my history with Crusades:

will be warming up very soon, will start crusades stream at 6pm eastern time (chicago). crusades will be done blind. https://www.twitch.tv/rotout died e4m1, not used to streaming, I'll get the settings beter working in time for the next ironman mapset.

It works for me! Cool death. It wouldn't be a successful month of e4-inspired runs without at least one misstep versus a cyber.

Some quality deaths rolling in, here (but none to Keith!). I'm looking forward to the runs of Suitepee and Dime, who sport very different playstyles and attitudes. In the face of such a unique brand of difficulty it will be interesting to see how they fare. I'm also expecting things to heat up a bit as winning vs. Ribbiks and co. becomes a question of speed rather than outright survival. Will DotW be able to match it with the head honchos?? Good luck!

I completed my run. I finished the entire wad, including the secret level.
This was incredibly stressful. I did the entire run in one sitting. It seems i skipped over the part that said that I didn't need to do this in a single sitting.
I had so many near death experiences I felt like i was going to have a heart attack by the end.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/krn8ci0df07bvl2/crus.lmp?dl=0

Ribbiks said:

hi. I beat the maps (including e4m9): http://www.mediafire.com/download/vod9ll85954ofc9/crusades_ironman_rbk.lmp

took around 75 minutes. There's a cute skip or two, but none of them are particularly useful (I should get bonus points for the YSK grab in e4m3 :p). My entire strat was just built around saving ammo for e4m-baron, and in general to save cells for dick-traps and the eventual bfg (which means using shotty for pretty much all non-urgent situations, zzzZZZzz). Thus this demo is going to be boring as sin to watch, ultra-conservative play (except m01, I guess), but whatever.

Full disclosure: I looked through the maps once with iddqd/idfa (not recording or anything) to learn the layouts, and where the secret map entrance was, etc. Not sure if that's against the rules or whatever but this demo was the only recorded attempt I made.

cheater!!! :p

I played the wad once before but my memory was really fuzzy. My navigation skills were retarded in m3. I considered doing some quick notarget reconnaissance but I figured I'd do fine in a Doom 1 wad.

Glad my demo works. This wad was so full of shotgunning the barons I'd hate to think my torment was in vain. Also the lost souls.

Looked cool though. I like the idea of this challenge, even if it does make me play like a coward

Even if some corner-scrounging, tail-between-the-legs descendent of sloths manages to bore his way through to the finish line, the real victory goes to the guy with the guts and the no-holds-barred attitude. Well, in my book, anyway. If he's blind, it's a double bonus!

The real winner takes home the most SADs.

Alfonzo said:

• No hard-coded cheats or features that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set).

• So does this mean no mouselook at all for a vanilla-aimed WAD set, or just no using mouselook to 'cheat' (such as shooting a switch above your head you shouldn't be able to access yet, or shooting the IoS from a weird angle)?