Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Megawad with no keys?

Is there such a thing? I imagine that there would be plenty of puzzles to make up for this. Also, any other compilations like coffee break?

Play E1M1 on a loop.

For more variety, try E2M1 E2M5 on a loop.

But if that doesn't satisfy you, put E3M1 on a loop.

But WAIT! If that gets too boring, try out Map01 on a loop!

Looking for a challenge? How about E1M8 on a loop?

Mastered that? E2M8 on a loop!

Ready for more challenges? E3M8 on a loop!

Feeling suicidal? Map30 on a loop!

As you can see, there are plenty of magawads around that accomplish this.

ChekaAgent said:

^^ E2M5 is better than all of this. Yes, it doesn't have any keys..

Oh shit, you're right. I completely missed a gem.

In theory, I'm pretty sure you could replace all keys in any map with switches that serve the same function. The advantage to a key is it provides a nice shorthand for signposting what it gives access to, as well as making it visible as a goal to attain.

So a megawad with no keys would be interesting. It should be eminently doable, but would require some skill to ensure the player still gets good guidance.

Switches can be problematic if you don't know what happened after pressing it, so Keys exists for such cases. Linear maps would work well without keys though, since you aren't expected to backtrack a lot. You can also have something mazey like e2m5, but lots of areas would be optional (not something bad, imo)

Udoom : E1M1, E1M8, E2M5, E2M8, E3M1, E3M8
Doom2 : MAP01, MAP07, MAP20, MAP29-MAP32
TNT : MAP04, MAP15
Plutonia : MAP30
Chex series : None.

Any wads with more than 6 keys total? (color a/b/c skull, color a/b/c card)

What about a single map with 6, or even more, keys?

invictius said:

One of the maps (can't remember which) in Caverns of Darkness has 6 keys; the skull keys were modded to be keycards in new colors. (Green, white, and black, maybe?)

invictius said:

Any wads with more than 6 keys total? (color a/b/c skull, color a/b/c card)

The only one I know is BYHAE, and that requires BDv19/BDv18b (depends on which version you have) to work properly.

Royal_Sir said:

For more variety, try E2M1 on a loop.

Um...

There was a terrywad of 30,000 levels or something like that where all you do is press an exit switch. That technically fits the bill, but it might get boring after a bit...

Deadwing said:

Switches can be problematic if you don't know what happened after pressing it

You can probably just make visible what the switch did. For example put a desk/console in middle of a room, and when you hit the switch on its side, you can see a bridge raising in the distance (via a window).
It could also be interesting to have lines you run over change parts of the level, so that you have to observe the patterns and progress in a specific path to make the exit route accessible.

The two levels Romero made recently don't have any keys. He does the switch thing mentioned above and signposts it with numbers in light. So that brings us up to 18. I doubt it, but does anyone know if any Master or No Rest for the Living levels lack keys?

molten_ said:

you could also color-code the switch the same way you color-code doors for keys

That's what I was thinking; doesn't even have to be the key colors, just a prominent identifying texture to call out what does what. (Not to say a lot of maps don't do this already.)

KBlaney said:

The two levels Romero made recently don't have any keys. He does the switch thing mentioned above and signposts it with numbers in light. So that brings us up to 18. I doubt it, but does anyone know if any Master or No Rest for the Living levels lack keys?

Actually, Tech Gone Bad (e1m8b.wad) does use all 3 keycards.

I somewhat waited for another thread like this. I think Project Space and Daedalus don't have keys, but I can be wrong.

Edit: Well, I was wrong about Daedalus.

Heh. No, I meant I sorta collected keyless maps since his previous thread about them.

Dgemie said:

I somewhat waited for another thread like this. I think Project Space and Daedalus don't have keys, but I can be wrong.

Edit: Well, I was wrong about Daedalus.

Where can I find project space? Google brings up nien.

DaIcemann76 said:

Actually, Tech Gone Bad (e1m8b.wad) does use all 3 keycards.

There's a second Romero level?