Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egg Boy

WesternDM

Yo! For the past few weeks I've been working on a western themed deathmatch set for Zandronum. The maps are primarily built for 2-4 players. The pack is still in progress, however there are currently 6 maps you can try!

Map01: "Sawmill"
Map02: "Ambush"
Map03: "The Palamo"
Map04: "The Big House"

Old Maps:

Map31: "Old Sawmill"
Map32: "Old Ambush"

Have fun!

Credits: *Coming as soon as I find all of them, my western pack is a combination of several western themed texture packs*

Screenshots:

http://imgur.com/a/330VD

Downloads:

UPDATE 7: https://www.mediafire.com/?b8qgksy9hpwnfq7

UPDATE 8: https://www.mediafire.com/?2s3zh7op387zzh0

Combinebobnt said:

If you could make some big open western maps with lots of trees and buildings, I could use them.

I'm listening...

Doomkid said:

Screenshots look really cool, western maps are too rare!

I know this truth all too well. I adore westerns, not quite sure why, it's like a cross between fantasy and reality that works really well. I've always been interested in making Doom maps themed around westerns, Fistful of Doom being the biggest influence.

Doomkid said:

Screenshots look really cool, western maps are too rare!

Couldn't have said it better myself. Will definitely push to get this up on a server later so I can try it out. If the screenies are any decent way to judge: keep making more!

Fonze said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Will definitely push to get this up on a server later so I can try it out. If the screenies are any decent way to judge: keep making more!

Tell me where I can find it, direct feedback is preferable. But then again, I'll feel embarrassed if everyone hates it. It'll be a good experience either way.

Will do if/when it happens. Might wind up coming down to if I can catch the right people on the irc later but I'll see what we can do. I need to learn to make videos at some point too, which would be something very useful for testing stuff like this. Still, I'll be on the irc in prolly 4 hours from now, hopefully around then I can get in touch with the right people and see about setting something up. Will post news here later.

Don't be too embarrassed if everyone hates it, though if it looks as nice as the screenies throughout it'll at least have that going for it, but a little embarrassment can be a good motivation to get better, if it turns out something is sub-par. I'm looking forward to it, though.

Alrighty! Update, a few tweaks to "Sawmill" and the addition of a new map: "Ambush" This map is centered around a single structure that contains a soul sphere. OP has been updated with a new DL and the screenshots are being updated right now! Enjoy, if you want, I guess.

EDIT: Screenshots have been updated!

Neat looking maps, will have to give them a try for sure. I can't think of too many Western style maps, but I always did like them. The Western maps in Dynamite DM were great IMO, so I look forward to seeing more maps in this style.

Hey! I know it's been a few days, but I've still been working on this! The OP has been updated with a new DL that makes MAP03 "The Palamo" just a *bit* more playable. I've also updated the screenshots if you want to look at those.

Screenies: http://imgur.com/a/330VD

Note: still uploading the new file.

Note 2: File has been uploaded :)

Don't worry about how long it takes, sometimes a project can take a longggggg time. Are you organizing playtesting sessions for these maps? It's hard to tell how decent a map is if it's not play tested before completion.

Decay said:

Don't worry about how long it takes, sometimes a project can take a longggggg time. Are you organizing playtesting sessions for these maps? It's hard to tell how decent a map is if it's not play tested before completion.

I've been testing with a friend. We're not too serious, but I've been making observations. It would be great to get into a server with 3-4 players and have a go at the only map fit for that amount. ("The Palamo") Currently remaking the first two maps, they are way too tiny, and "Sawmill" isn't really a sawmill.

Nice, looking good so far. If you're seeking more inspiration, there is a classic dm map that was run on csdoom and early zdaemon for many years called boothill. Kind of dated but still one of the first significant attempts at a western themed DM wad

Ralphis said:

Nice, looking good so far. If you're seeking more inspiration, there is a classic dm map that was run on csdoom and early zdaemon for many years called boothill. Kind of dated but still one of the first significant attempts at a western themed DM wad

Alrighty! So I played Boothill. And it was pretty cool! Not as immersive as I would have wanted from a western map, but as you said it was one of the first attempts. I bet it would be fun to play with 1-2 other people. However, I disliked how cramped I felt in the buildings. I try not to have too many separate rooms in my houses so it's nice and simple. Still, it was cool and I'll definitely use it as reference of what I can and can't do. :D

Yo yo yo! Looks like another UPDATE! So, what's new? Basically: Map01 has been replaced with a completely overhauled "Sawmill." (The old sawmill has been moved to map31 if you want to see it or whatever.) Check the OP for the download and screenies!

I don't think the wad has been put to a server yet, but it was just uploaded an hour ago. I'll try to get a quick shoutout to the guy taking care of the technical stuff to get the newest version up. Worst case we'll have a server running the version right before this current one in a day or two. Btw, when you start changing files between computers, it is really advisable to give the file a new name each time it changes hands after an update, for better identification later. As it is this might be a crap shoot of which one gets put up.

Fonze said:

I don't think the wad has been put to a server yet, but it was just uploaded an hour ago. I'll try to get a quick shoutout to the guy taking care of the technical stuff to get the newest version up. Worst case we'll have a server running the version right before this current one in a day or two. Btw, when you start changing files between computers, it is really advisable to give the file a new name each time it changes hands after an update, for better identification later. As it is this might be a crap shoot of which one gets put up.

I apologize, from now on I'll give each an update number. I'm pretty sure this is the sixth update. But I wont change it, considering it's already been named. But the next will be update 7. Thanks for the advice.

Made a boat map. Not sure how good it is, and I don't want to waste the idea, so I'm thinking of remaking it. Should I release it so you guys can tell me if it's actual shit or if I'm just being paranoid, OR should I make a new version and make comparisons during playtests? (Basically: The best boat wins.)

Hey guys, new update! Replaced Map02 "Ambush" with NUAmbush. Old Ambush was moved to map32 if you get the urge to play an awful map. Check out the OP for the new update. (Update 7) Screenies will be added later. Have fun!

Hey! Guess what?
There's a new map! "The Big House" is a map with more interactivity than any other map I've made for this set! Updated the OP and screenshots, so check that out above. Be sure to get the most recent version, "Update 8!" HAVE FUN!

Don't want to scroll back up? I've got you covered ;)

Update 8 DL: https://www.mediafire.com/?2s3zh7op387zzh0

Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/330VD

Hey guys, sorry for the bump. But I really haven't heard much feedback. I'd also like to say that I've took a tiny break to make a singleplayer map for a change of pace. I am NOT finished with this pack and will return to it in a few days.

Hey, so I've spent enough time away from this, I'm ready to start again, but I really would like to test out a few maps online so I can fix some things. I have 4 maps at this point, and moving forward without fixing things would be detrimental to the wads fun factor. So if I could play this online with some people, that would be nice. Thanks.

I'd be happy to help test if our schedules have any chance of lining up. Come to #dmstuff and we can get a server up and group of people to playtest! Even if I'm not there when you join, there's quite a few regulars who are always happy to help test

Doomkid said:

I'd be happy to help test if our schedules have any chance of lining up. Come to #dmstuff and we can get a server up and group of people to playtest! Even if I'm not there when you join, there's quite a few regulars who are always happy to help test

sounds great, I'll get to it when I can.

WesternDM (Working title) is now running on a personal server! Don't worry, you'll be able to download the map.
IP: 67.234.42.49:10666
It may not be up all the time because I have to be home in order for it to be up.
This server is mainly for playtesting purposes and feedback. New maps will be added continually, or at least until I feel finished.