Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fonze

Stupid Request

So my birthday is sometime this week, that sucks; would like something to cheer me up. Not gonna ask anyone to make a map (though of course I'd appreciate it); links to existing sets would suffice.

I really like the mechanics of Doom; making things work, especially those not "kosher" within Doom (along the lines of black-magic trickery, something not normally possible or more preferrably unique) really brings a smile to my face. I'd like to see some Vanilla, Limit-Removing, or Boom maps that have really cool mechanics. I suppose an interesting puzzle could be good, too.

Please do me the favor of pointing out what it is I'm looking for, because properly made mechanics are only noticeable when intended to be :)

Thanks in advance!

Fonze said:

So my birthday is sometime this week, that sucks; would like something to cheer me up. Not gonna ask anyone to make a map (though of course I'd appreciate it)

I'll probably make a small one (2048x2048) over the next couple of days. :)

Based on something I read here on the forums some time ago, I decided at one point to try and see what kind of level I could make using various hardcoded things like tag 666 etc. I never finished it because I was way out of my league for something like this! But it might still be of some interest and since it sounds like it's something you're looking for, then why the hell not just upload it here for you instead of it rotting away on my HDD!

The main point of it is to navigate and move through various small arenas without blowing up the barrels. Blow 'em up, and the Cybers are released. If you can manage to not blow them up, then they'll teleport into cages where they can be safely killed later (something I never got around to implement properly). There's also a timed secret switch near the beginning and some Manc/Arach stuff. Not much though. It runs on map07 for Doom II and should be limit removing only, no fancy Boom stuff or anything.

And you can do with it whatever you want :)

Congrats on your birthday, Mr-I-dont-make-levels-without-using-every-single-vertex-left-available!!

i would like to make something but sadly even the most short map i try to make will be a work of 2 months until i finish it. also i have mapper blocks right now :T

but happy birthday if i finish something on the 3 maps im working because mapper blocks i will post it. but i cant promise something

All that purple reminds me of Stardate 20X6.... Nice looking map from the pic. Will have to try it out.

Old gimmicky puzzle map [Boom comp.]

This was originally meant to be the first map in a small mappack that involved puzzles where the player cannot attack the monsters, but they have to use the monsters in a way to solve a puzzle and proceed to the next map (I.E. getting monsters to infight, drawing enemy projectiles onto keens with barrels that trigger something). Give it a shot. Also, have a good one, Fonze.

Wow; thanks for all the replies y'all! Lotta content for me to look over :)

Few people-specific comments/questions:

gaspe: I'll check it out; I've heard many things about Whitemare 2, and notice that some reviews on /idgames specifically mention MAP20. Also, the text file seems to note that MAP20 doesn't run correctly in certain advanced ports, which sounds interesting to me! Looking forward to playing it.

Pinchy: I could have sworn I played it, but iirc DW Roulette Session 2 didn't upload to /idgames right away; that right? I remember playing and covering 1 and 3 for TWID (God I need to start that back up soon), but don't seem to recall playing 2... Anyway, bad memory aside, I see many compliments on the mechanics of this map, so I really look forward to checking it out.

Chris Hansen said:

And you can do with it whatever you want :)

Congrats on your birthday, Mr-I-dont-make-levels-without-using-every-single-vertex-left-available!!

Chris: do you mean I can take it, edit it, and make it complete? If so, I'd love to finish out one of your maps! I'll check this thing out and, if that is what you meant, start work on it soon, crediting your name first of course, as it sounds like you've already done all the heavy lifting :)

Also, I'll be sure to fill the remainder of the map up with the rest of the vertices available; wouldn't want to disappoint, hehe.

Z0k: Thanks bud :) No pressure on making/finishing a map, but if you happen to I'd be one happy man. Don't hesitate to ever drop me a line to help combat your mapper's block; the flow of ideas is always helpful, even if you wind up utilizing nothing from my end, hehe.

Breezeep: Thanks man; sounds like it'll be fun ^^

valkiriforce: Sweet; Vanilla effects are always cool to see, given how rigid the mechanisms are. To answer more specifically the request: stuff like complex locking mechanisms are always fun to study and even more fun to make, if you like puzzles and the like, though I don't think too much there could surprise me at this point, but also stuff like using monsters to activate triggers to make one-difficulty-only events (like architecture that changes with the difficulty level), or making one switch do many different things without a voodoo doll (I want to make a map one day involving one switch that does everything in a map, without a voodoo doll hopefully), or a stupid sector worm (heh), or something not considered "normal" within Doom. There are many that I do not know of, so I'd like to find them because I like truly unique stuff like that.

rdwpa: Thank you very much! This was a very fun, beautiful little map that had some fun mechanisms at work. I posted before about timed-mechanisms and how I love them; it's cool to see them utilized effectively. Delayed-action setups are always cool in my book. Timed triggers are a great way to achieve this; forcing the player to handle the trap/encounter in a more fluid way as it changes around them. For this reason, I also like to use "locked" walk-over triggers (which is basically a repeatable action that can only happen after something else, which in turn may only happen after something else, etc. 'til you turn into Jim Carey in The Number 23) in conjunction with the timed ones; purely for extra fun, fluidity, and unpredictability for the player, of course ^^ (and to troll the pacifists; always gotta troll the pacifists ;p ) Not that this map needed any of that; it was a lot of fun!

Here's my just-cracked-the-bottle-open-probably-shouldn't-post FDA for this map. Took me 6 deaths and all of my remaining pride to finish; apparently I couldn't see the invul sphere while playing, but after looking for it in the demo I see it was literally right there. Lol. Also, I liked the use of the PE in the first setup; of course after first killing it then distracting the AV, the spawned-skulls should have been the first target, but with the revs' homing missiles, it was more anxiety-inducing to focus solely on them in order to just solve the main problem out-right. I liked the use of the baron for that tiny bit of extra chaos, which complimented the skulls and revs nicely. His purple-colored shots added to his use and given the PG with apparently tons of ammo, heh, he seemed to me to be a better choice than an HK. The final fight had me at first thinking that I should get the cyber to infight the AV's right away, or be surrounded. I liked how that changed quickly, lol. Check your PM's, btw.

Fonze said:

Chris: do you mean I can take it, edit it, and make it complete? If so, I'd love to finish out one of your maps! I'll check this thing out and, if that is what you meant, start work on it soon, crediting your name first of course, as it sounds like you've already done all the heavy lifting :)

Exactly, my friend. That's exactly what it means :)

Fonze said:

Also, I'll be sure to fill the remainder of the map up with the rest of the vertices available; wouldn't want to disappoint, hehe.

That makes me so happy!

^ I don't think he would like to spend his birthday in dark, mazey mines with hidden linedefs on the automap and death traps.

joe-ilya said:

^ I don't think he would like to spend his birthday in dark, mazey mines with hidden linedefs on the automap and death traps.

Just a tidal wave. I know that the gameplay of Earth is kind of boring.