Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom_Dude1278

map making

So i really want to get into map making good maps but due to being uncreative I just dont know what to do I sit down and then think what do i do I mean i could make potentially anything but nothing comes to mind I have asked before and some people said that they sketch something out before they get to making it but then i find its the same problem you know what do i make?

did any of you guys have this problem and if you did what did you do to get around it as for me I might sometimes literally take like 30 mins to think of the room connected to the starting room and what will go in it.

thanks

Base it off something, like a scene from a movie, a level from a game, the landscape in a painting, etc.

Its a good way to start.

Play your most favourite Doom level or another person's wad you really liked. Enjoy it and take inspiration from it. It's a good way to be motivated and get those creative juices flowing.

Also it helps to think of the basics like "What Theme this map will be" and "How difficult should it be?" and "How many of the monsters, weapons and traps should I throw at the player and when?". Answer all these fundamental questions and you will start having plans made out for yourself.

You could start by mapping your house, neighborhood or a building/place you particularly like.

Doom_Dude1278 said:

I might sometimes literally take like 30 mins to think of the room connected to the starting room and what will go in it.

Happens all the time when I try mapping. I suggest taking frequent breaks when you get mapper's block and sometimes you get that eureka moment while doing something else. Also, arena encounters are generally easier to make than well-flowing, populated levels. And don't obsess over detailing. Get something functional done and then add cracks in walls and blinking lights etc.

I try not to look at the editor unless I have an idea of at least something to build, even just a sector's worth. Staring at GZDB with no ideas, thinking, "Okay, what should I build now?" is a frustrating feeling and not really conducive to the best design you are capable of. Should instead daydream and come up with something imaginative (that can be made in Doom's engine :P).

Don't be worried about being slow at your creative process, especially since you're a beginner. Even experienced mappers need to take their time. Only a minority of them are gifted to speedmap something of quality comparable to maps that have been in development for months. And even those got into it by practice AND needed inspiration. Practice and inspiration are the keywords. Also, start at small scale and simple maps. Make anything (even if imperfect), make it play in a way that you could be satisfied with (even if imperfectly), possibly polish it (as you want/can do), raise your quality bar, repeat. If you don't have inspiration, stop mapping and get some, for example by playing some wads. Try to distinguish elements of those wads that you liked, and emulate them in your own maps. Another way to get inspiration is to read threads where mappers discuss good/bad mapping techniques or where they share opinions on particular wads and their good/bad qualities. Once you make your maps playable, release them in Wads&Mods subforum to get feedback, read the feedback and improve your next maps based on it. Finally and once again, the main thing for becoming good is to have practice in mapping AND have inspiration at the moment while you're doing it.

-You need some ideas.
-Better start from limit-removing format. ZDoom mapping is hard for beginners. Vanilla have some limitations.
-Play different pwads and look on technical and designer point.
-Reviews on your maps by other people is helps with mapping alot! Read reviews for other pwads.
-Mapping must flow. Sometimes take a brake.
-If you started map pack, create txt file and write features of every map. This is make maps different.