Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cacowad

illegal read when testing a map in heretic+

I'm using dosbox to run heretic+, immidiately after loading the map it freeze and on the console appers a long list as following:

illegal write to 16200045, cs:ip 180: 1aa1b3

i'm suspicious i've hit some limits even there, but since i don't really know how all this work i'm going to ask help here. If it help i can post the map, just the time to upload it.

some statistics from doombuilder, just for fun:

verticles: 9186
linedef: 11684
sidedef: 19564
sectors: 2146
things: 1460

Any idea?

EDIT: it may be a blockmap issue, since H+ does not raise his limit and currently it is 87416 bytes, a shame really.

Cacowad said:

it may be a blockmap issue, since H+ does not raise his limit and currently it is 87416 bytes, a shame really.

If only you got rid of the eastern peninsula, and turned the southern peninsula to the east instead (like this), the blockmap size would drop down (to 58.9 kB, as I've briefly tested) enough to be below the 64 kB limit. It's because blockmap size rapidly increases in size as the bounding rectangle encompassing the entire map increases in area, so that cutting off outstanding peninsulas (keeping the map within area of as-small-as-possible rectangle) can help a lot.

Nice, reading from the wiki i got the impression the blockmap was more lenient than that, i may just do like you did and report back if that solve the problen.
You are always a good helping hand, thank you.
Also, nice find on the wads and mods section.

Cacowad said:

reading from the wiki i got the impression the blockmap was more lenient than that,

According to the wiki, blockmap defines the number of blocks as a number of columns of blocks spanning the entire width of the map (west-to-east), multiplied by a number of rows of blocks spanning the entire height of the map (north-to-south). Even if the blockmap compresses blocks with no linedefs to the same chunk of data to save space (and some blockmap builders don't even do this), each block, even one that doesn't contain any map geometry at all, has a 2 bytes big entry in the "offsets" section - and this isn't negligible at all, as there may easily be thousands of these blocks.