Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Batelli_1605

Rio 2016, anyone excited?

Rio 2016, anyone excited?  

55 members have voted

  1. 1. Rio 2016, anyone excited?

    • Yes
      9
    • Nope
      46


Recommended Posts

Just creating this thread(if there's already a topic about it, I apologize) to know your insights about Rio 2016. How do you think it's going to be? Good, bad? Do you think that the many security concerns(possible terrorist attacks, and other things) health issues and polution can ruin the experience? Are you looking forward to it overall? Say it, let's discuss.

Share this post


Link to post

Not really.

The more I've read about the olympics, the more they seem like a scam for their host cities and the athletes themselves. If anything, I'm glad Boston won't be subjected to them in 2024.

Share this post


Link to post

The infrastructure being built in Rio is going to cost them billions of dollars that they don't have. Greece for example would have been better off not having hosted them in 2004. Basically it shouldn't ever be hosted anywhere that can't foot the enormous bill. None of the money made during the Olympics is given to the host city, the only profits are incidental tourist purchases and whatnot. Additionally, loads of dirt poor people in Rio have displaced for the sake of this event and have even been hidden by a wall to block the slums from the sight of visitors "sound barrier".

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2016/08/03/12/37/what-abandoned-olympic-facilities-look-like-today

Share this post


Link to post

This picture sums them up nicely this year:



But yeah, they're a scam. They leave the hosting city in horrible debt, and the people don't see any of the profits. Only the advertisers, vendors, and the Olympic committee itself.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm excited to see how many athletes go home with extra limbs. Or less limbs. Or don't go home at all. It seems like it has a good chance of being a complete debacle.

Share this post


Link to post

As someone who lives in Rio, the only thing I'm getting out of this is worse traffic and embarrassment. Also, on top of worrying about muggers, I also have to worry about the looming possibility of a terrorist attack now.

Share this post


Link to post

I don't give sports any support 99% of the time, but I especially hate the Olympics. They cause nothing but ruin and we throw good money at this crap.

Share this post


Link to post
VonHootie02 said:

I see you frequent r/all too.

I've never been to r/all, actually. I found it on the front page.

Share this post


Link to post
HorrorMovieGuy said:

As someone who lives in Rio, the only thing I'm getting out of this is worse traffic and embarrassment. Also, on top of worrying about muggers, I also have to worry about the looming possibility of a terrorist attack now.

Sadly, terrorist attacks at the Olympics have happened before. I can only hope nothing of the sort happens in the coming Games.

Share this post


Link to post

Not excited at all, many people in Rio are against the Olympics event and for good reasons, also there's a goddamn wall hiding those people who are against this event, a "sound barrier" if you will which reminds me of the Wall of Berlin and to me that is a total disrespect for the people of Rio.

Share this post


Link to post
yukib1t said:

I've never been to r/all, actually. I found it on the front page.

That's what I meant, oops.

By the way guys

Share this post


Link to post
J.B.R said:

Not excited at all, many people in Rio are against the Olympics event and for good reasons, also there's a goddamn wall hiding those people who are against this event, a "sound barrier" if you will which reminds me of the Wall of Berlin and to me that is a total disrespect for the people of Rio.


I agree with you, I mean, Rio is totally chaotic at the moment, it was not the time to host such a big event.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

As someone who lives in Rio, the only thing I'm getting out of this is worse traffic and embarrassment. Also, on top of worrying about muggers, I also have to worry about the looming possibility of a terrorist attack now.


Are you brazilian? Just asking cause I am but I don't live in Rio, my city is like 5 hours by car from here, I've seen plenty of news saying that the traffic is awful..

Share this post


Link to post

Honestly, any of the swimmers who still choose to go despite the circumstances have balls. They probably won't afterwards, but still.

Share this post


Link to post

I used to love the Olympics (in fact, I only watch TV when there are major sporting events, World Cup, Super Bowl, Olympics, mainly because it's a fun excuse to be with my family and friends), but with the latest events, I'm not really holding my breath. What a stupid way to ruin what used to be fun.

Share this post


Link to post

Not excited, I mean, it's probably going to be a disaster, but I can't shake the feeling that something really bad might happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Batelli_1605 said:

Are you brazilian? Just asking cause I am but I don't live in Rio, my city is like 5 hours by car from here, I've seen plenty of news saying that the traffic is awful..


Yep, I am. I live in more of a suburban area, but it's not far from the the center of the city, and I usually have to go there during the week. Lots of streets changing course, some closed, lots of bus and taxi-only lanes being added, and buses changing the itinerary. I can't imagine it's gonna be that bad for the tourists, but for the people that live here it's a very abrupt change in the traffic that makes going anywhere harder.

Share this post


Link to post
Pedro VC said:


That is like, wow you know, cause I've heard that there are 100.000 men of the army in Rio now and the muggers are somehow still managing to do their thing, just wow....

Nvm this video was probably made before, as a true advertising sadly...

HorrorMovieGuy said:

Yep, I am. I live in more of a suburban area, but it's not far from the the center of the city, and I usually have to go there during the week. Lots of streets changing course, some closed, lots of bus and taxi-only lanes being added, and buses changing the itinerary. I can't imagine it's gonna be that bad for the tourists, but for the people that live here it's a very abrupt change in the traffic that makes going anywhere harder.


Sounds like São Paulo, but at least with beaches I guess lol.

Share this post


Link to post

Olympics make good background noise and some decent human athletic achievements, but Rio looks like a shit hole. I remember thinking so when playing Max Payne 3 and figured the game may have been extrapolating a bit. But the reality seems worse.

Share this post


Link to post

Rio IS a shithole, but the media and government desperately try to sell it as a beautiful tourist-friendly paradise of carnaval, beaches and women.

Share this post


Link to post

This is the least I was ever excited for the Olympics, which actually makes me sad in turn. I just can't get away from the politics this time. Brazil is wallowing in a massive political and economical crisis, organization seems to be even worse than Vancouver or Athens (that must be a record), then there's the bitter Russian doping affair AND tiptoeing around Kenya's similar issue...

Olympic games are usually 2-3 weeks of romantic haze for me and I hope I'll still get the sports hardon from watching the actual stuff, but I'm also slightly skeptic about the prospect.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×