Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Voros

The logic behind Hacx MAP05

In Hacx (yes, Hacx, not Doom), the first Cyberspace level is MAP05: Cyber Circus.

In this map lies just one key (the C-Key), which is required to getting to the exit.
Somehow, i always get the key, but all the time i ask myself the question "but how did i do it?"

Please check out the map and see for yourself. It truly is bizzare.

I am asking for information on this, not tips on how to gain the information. What EXACTLY happens here? Are there any special tags? Any triggers? Can someone please tell me? I would really appreciate it!

I currently dont have access to a Doom editor, so i cant see it myself.

Thanks in advance!

In the large room with lowering floor, there's a V-shaped pillar.
The keycard can't be seen because it's inside that pillar, but you're able to pick it up when entering the small opening.

Swine & Roses said:

In the large room with lowering floor, there's a V-shaped pillar.
The keycard can't be seen because it's inside that pillar, but you're able to pick it up when entering the small opening.

You sure?

Sometimes, the floor just stops at a specific height.

And I usually get it when the floor has gone down completely, then suddenly I do something that instantly brings the floor back to its original height (and that's how I grab the C-Key)

I'm fucking stumped.

In fact, I'm stumped with almost all the Cyberspace maps.

Yeah, just checked the whole thing in Doom Builder and replayed it twice.
The keycard sits exactly on the pointy end of that opening, with its sprite clipping into the pillar.

Also, there are 8 linedefs going through the room that will cause the floor to move in various random ways. But I don't think those have a special meaning other than mindfucking you, like most of that level.

Swine & Roses said:

Also, there are 8 linedefs going through the room that will cause the floor to move in various random ways. But I don't think those have a special meaning other than mindfucking you, like most of that level.

Went through that so many times.

Can you see what each linedef does?

Well, sure. I'm new to Doom mapping, but I can't see anything special about them. Just raising and lowering the floor.

The only notable thing I found while messing around is that if you're stupid enough to move the floor all the way to the top, you can't lower it again, preventing you from ever getting the keycard and finishing the level. Nice.