Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BluePineapple72

Quake Champions Gameplay Trailer

Looks fun, but I think the gibs need to be exaggerated. There's something about body parts bouncing off walls and leaving a bloody trail through the air.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

* Rocket and Strafe jumping* :o

I love how they make good and sure that they show that this is in the game lol

Overall I think it looks awesome. Just not a fan of the temple arena but that's just me

Mr. Freeze said:

Animations look reallly stiff.

I was thinking this. They look about the same as the animations from Q3A which is now a 17-year-old game. I really would have thought we'd have come a bit further by now. Gibs are also a bit weird, there's this explosion of liquid but not really chunky body parts. Even Q3A had that.

Regardless, I'm still excited. The maps look great and have a lot of variation, but are still keeping the aesthetic of Q3A in mind. It also looks really damn fast which is good. It's for sure looking good, although the overall visual style looks like a step backwards compared to Doom '16...maybe this is so there can be a large amount of characters and things happening on screen at once?

Mr. Freeze said:

I got that impression too. Quake has always looked funny how characters are always upright and running in midair. Would definitely like to see more dives and cartwheels and shit haha.

I'm not a big quake guy so maybe I'm in no position to feel cynical, but what's the appeal of this over quake 3? From what I've seen, most players scale the graphics down (way down) to get an edge over their competition. The trailer seems like it's saying "hey we know you like quake so we made a quake game that's just like quake!" I don't know what quake players want but maybe kick jumping off walls or powerups that change the direction of gravity -- I'm just spit balling here, stuff that makes this more than just a nostalgia trip though. Maybe there are more trailers to come but at the moment it looks like the tried and true quake formula with a fresh coat of paint.

AnonimVio said:

Doom Multiplayer with rocketjumping and strafejumping.

No, thanks.

Lmao, what? There aren't any loadouts... have you ever even played Quake? The addition of rocketjumping, strafejumping and weapon pickups alone completely change the gameplay from Doom. The only similarity at that point is they're both FPS games with similar graphics.

Looks like a f2p game. It looks like they are toning back then hero stuff. Glad to see since it seems like it wouldnt fit. Also I hope champions won't use the bethseda.net clinet

Mr. Freeze said:

I got the general feeling that the game is very rough around the edges at this point. Aside from stiff animations, effects seem very basic (especially for the railgun) and what looks like pickups look more like placeholders than easy-to-understand pickups; couldn't tell if the pickups I saw were armor shards, health pickups or score objects.

I'm guessing it will get more fleshed out and polished in time.

DeathevokatioN said:

Looking at this trailer I can't help but get reminded of one of the most beautiful DM maps ever made..

[video]

holy shit that looks gorgeous. hot damn

mistercow said:

Looks like a f2p game. It looks like they are toning back then hero stuff. Glad to see since it seems like it wouldnt fit. Also I hope champions won't use the bethseda.net clinet

My initial suspicions that each champion would have only one ability seems to be right, which very much unlike Overwatch. I also have a feeling that you will have recharge your powers by picking up a special pickup.

Another Quake, another mistake... At least Raven has much more talented artists than Saber. Quake Champions looks like crap. Ugly player models, ugly guns(!!!), ugly everything. Looks cheaper than last Xonotic or Toxikk(lol). Definitely, I lost my hope for this game...

...especially after that:

:S

^ You just love complaining, huh?

I for one think this game looks fantastic and would hope that it really is as fun as it looks!

So, I take it there are going to be more characters besides Ranger, Visor and the two newcomers? If so, I hope Crash returns. And maaaaybe a cameo from the Doomslayer.

The Doomguy was a character in Q3A known as "DOOM" so I wouldn't be too surprised to see them included here.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

So, I take it there are going to be more characters besides Ranger, Visor and the two newcomers? If so, I hope Crash returns. And maaaaybe a cameo from the Doomslayer.

I just hope they include at least one Doomguy (OG Doomguy, Doom3guy or Doomslayer)

Mr. Freeze said:

There's a difference when making a skill based shooter like Quake and other games. The art needs to support the game play. Not the other way around. Animations need to be representative of the hitboxes. That is why animations are less extreme in Quake 3 for instance.

@voros Changed from what?

kristus said:

The FOV seems like it was increased for some reason, IMO.

kristus said:

There's a difference when making a skill based shooter like Quake and other games. The art needs to support the game play. Not the other way around. Animations need to be representative of the hitboxes. That is why animations are less extreme in Quake 3 for instance.

That doesn't really excuse the stiffness. If you watch the video at .5 or .25 speed, you'll see that, especially when jumping through the air, there is a very poor sense of interpolation as the characters' limbs move. I also thought the guns were unusually ugly and very much not in the vain of id's art style.

Voros said:

The FOV seems like it was increased for some reason, IMO.

Increased from what?

IF you compare it to contemporary console games where the fov tends to be around 60-80, then yes. Since this is PC only it only makes sense that the default is 90. Though most tend to play with 100-110.