Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BluePineapple72

Quake Champions Gameplay Trailer

GoatLord said:

That doesn't really excuse the stiffness. If you watch the video at .5 or .25 speed, you'll see that, especially when jumping through the air, there is a very poor sense of interpolation as the characters' limbs move. I also thought the guns were unusually ugly and very much not in the vain of id's art style.

While I agree with you, it's almost impossible to make these kinds of movement ts at that speed look realistic. Think about it.

GoatLord said:

I also thought the guns were unusually ugly and very much not in the vain of id's art style.

That I gotta agree with - I kinda liked the rocket launcher, but the other guns I find overly janky.

I'll agree that the guns looked rather bland. In fact, they even looked really low-res. As my only complaint on the trailer, I'm left to expect that these are things that are supposed to be cleaned up in the future. As for designs, well, some harken back to the original weapons, others look sort of... Eh?

The screenshots NoisM posted look rather nice, however. But some elements of this seem rather unfinished. Maps look fun, though. Some look like remakes, which is cool, but I'd hope to see new locations as well. Like the eyeball thing.

I would just like to note we are complaining about graphics in a thread about Quake where it's always, at least according to Quake fans, supposed to be about that classic deathmatch / arena gameplay being good.

Pretty sure people (myself included) were complaining about animation and weapon design - the latter falling under the category of "art design" which isn't the same thing as "graphics".

Art design, at least to some people, is an essential part of making a game "good", even in a fast-paced arena-type shooty game, and while I understand that the truly omgwtf-elite-master players tone graphics and visuals down to the mere barebones, there are players who are more casual and actually like for the game to look pretty while playing against other casuals who care about the same thing.

The game isn't exclusively targeting those elite gamers.

Oh and for the record, I may not like most of the guns, but the art design for the environment is pretty (even if some of it is stolen).

The game will probably have skins so it's alright.

The environments looks very authentic though.

dsm said:

Pretty sure people (myself included) were complaining about animation and weapon design - the latter falling under the category of "art design" which isn't the same thing as "graphics".

Art design, at least to some people, is an essential part of making a game "good", even in a fast-paced arena-type shooty game, and while I understand that the truly omgwtf-elite-master players tone graphics and visuals down to the mere barebones, there are players who are more casual and actually like for the game to look pretty while playing against other casuals who care about the same thing.

The game isn't exclusively targeting those elite gamers.

Oh and for the record, I may not like most of the guns, but the art design for the environment is pretty (even if some of it is stolen).

The mastery behind Q3A's weapon design was its simplicity. You could take a look at any of the weapons, having never seen them before, and at least have a 90% chanec of correctly guessing their function. The weapons here are a bit overdesigned IMO, a bit like a certain other game that was out around about the same time as Q3A ...

That said, this is more like it. Good, dumb fun, just like the old days.

scalliano said:

The mastery behind Q3A's weapon design was its simplicity. You could take a look at any of the weapons, having never seen them before, and at least have a 90% chance of correctly guessing their function.

TBH I wouldn't know that Q3A's machine gun, grenade launcher and BFG were in fact a machine gun, grenade launcher and BFG. I actually really don't like the in-view models of most of the weapons in Q3A, most of them are some kind of vague blob with a shiny texture over them. Nevertheless game is still fun, but the in-view models are only a little better than the first Quake!

scalliano said:

The mastery behind Q3A's weapon design was its simplicity. You could tak. a look at any of the weapons, having never seen them before, and at least have a 90% chanec of correctly guessing their function. The weapons here are a bit overdesigned IMO, a bit like a certain other game that was out around about the same time as Q3A ...

That said, this is more like it. Good, dumb fun, just like the old days.

They should've modernized Q3A weapons. The shotgun was perfect but in this they all look like weird UT weapons. Had I not known the trailer was for Quake C I would've thought it was UT until the rocket jump.

Loving what I'm seeing. Aesthetics are very cool.

Some of those guns do sound weak, hard to tell over the music. I wonder if at the end where the music stops it's a character that has a silent ability, hence the weak rail gun sound.

dsm said:

Art design, at least to some people, is an essential part of making a game "good"...

Art design is hugely important to me. All of my favorite video games have strong art design and that draws me in as much as tight controls and solid layouts do. Most of Quake Champions is gorgeous and very inviting, but the player models and weapons are leaving a bitter aftertaste that is hard to describe.

GoatLord said:

Art design is hugely important to me. All of my favorite video games have strong art design and that draws me in as much as tight controls and solid layouts do. Most of Quake Champions is gorgeous and very inviting, but the player models and weapons are leaving a bitter aftertaste that is hard to describe.

I'm right alongside you with that opinion - I too am loving the environments displayed in the videos, but character and weapon designs are really quite forgettable. Even the very recognizable character of Ranger feels bland and generic and the new characters are so forgettable it makes me want to cry.

Still, if they're doing a Quake 1 reboot eventually, they can do far worse than use the art design of the environments in Quake Champions, because aside from the much more vibrant color palette, I'm getting some serious Quake 1 vibes from them. Loved that Chtulhu-face gate in the "jungle temple".

Hmmm, something about the models/weapons seem a bit too UT, and not enough Q3A. Not as curvy/large and a bit stiff as mentioned earlier.

Likely very early footage, so I'm sure it will change a bit. Still pretty good looking for a Q3A followup, though sure hope there's more space-theme bouncy map levels (which seems to be lacking in this trailer)

I Felt like i should quote those :

Bethesda Article said:

“No loadouts, no limit to the amount of guns you can carry,” Willits assured the crowd. “Time the weapon pickups, or kill your opponents. That’s how you get weapons in a Quake game.”

I think my issue with the players/weapons is that it lacks the aggressive, angsty, overtly gothic aesthetic of Q3A. There's a lot of pain, misery and ugliness in the original that is completely lost with the new one (in terms of players/weapons. The environments get sufficiently macabre, even from what little we saw). I really enjoyed that unpleasant, post-industrial vibe and I guess Quake Champions looks almost cute at times, which is really, really, really not good for an id game, unless it's a Commander Keen reboot.

Pfffft, another damn overwatch clone, XD. On a serious note gameplay looks orgasmic and. Love the art design. I'll be preordering this asap. Visor Prime ftw. Hmmm boy I'v got a chub now.

^ Dude it's not an anime game, and has no weapon pickup limit, the gameplay mechanics are way different too .

Ape Hex said:

Pfffft, another damn overwatch clone, XD. On a serious not gameplay looks orgasmic and. LUV the art design. I'll be preordering this asap. Visor Prime ftw. Hmmm boy I'v got a chub now.

I didnt understand half of that post.

The overwatch comparison was a joke, not was suposed to be note. Wich is now edited. Game looks great. Visor Prime is visors suposed name as he's the original visor. Kinda like a strogg boba fett. Lets just hope this game has an anticheat.

Id Software isn't making this new Quake alone, because as Willits says, "We have more IPs [intellectual properties] than we have people." They're working with Saber Interactive, who among other things worked on Halo: The Master Chief Collection.

You'd think they would've realized their mistakes after Doom '16, but no.

I'm not worried about multiplayer of Quake Champions, because this part of the game already in hands of Quake Live team.

Jaxxoon R said:

Wasn't the multiplayer of Master Chief Collection universally agreed to be the worst part of that pack?

The reason the Master Cheif Catastrophe is the way it is is because of the development time only being 7 months (rumored), of course they were gonna fuck up porting 4 games (2 with remastered editions included, and the other 2 upgraded to run better) and their multiplayers, along with a brand new one (h2a) with a development time like that. I wouldn't hold anything against companies who tried to help 343 develop the MCC, that game was doomed without a delay

TheMightyHeracross said:

You'd think they would've realized their mistakes after Doom '16, but no.

I think it is going to work differently in the case of Quake Champions.

One thing that we must take into account is the fact that the game is not coming to consoles. It is a PC exclusive. That means that the potential sales are going to be much lower overall which leads me to suspect that it won't be a big-budgeted AAA game.

Does this mean the game is going to be lower quality? No, not necessarily. AAA production values means state-of-the art graphics and artistry, top-quality voice acting and more stuff like that. BUT those things naturally cost money, a lot of money and they are not what necessarily make arena shooters what they are. The more you invest into a game, the less you are willing to take risks, which is why I think so many games feel samey these days. On the flipside, this due to the reduced risk resulting from a smaller budget, they will be able to reduce the scope of the game and make exactly what they want. I think it's going to be somwhere in the middle.

So how does this tie in with Saber Interactive? Well, this company, as far as I know, has offices in Russia, where they outsource the art. Why is this important? Well, in Eastern Europe, services are much MUCH cheaper. It is the same in my country. So if an artist from the USA makes 50k a year, but an artist from Russia/Poland/Romania of the same skill level makes maybe 15k.

So what I think they are going to do is outsource the art to Russia so they can spend their budget on more important things and develop the actual guts of the game themselves. I do not believe this isn't because of laziness. The samller the budget, the more risks you can make in a game.

TL;DR I think they are outsourcing the art this time, not the gameplay.