Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zulk RS

Making a game on the Doom Engine.

Is there a way I can make a new game from scratch using GZDoom Builder and SLADE? If so then how?

Zulk-RS said:

Is there a way I can make a new game from scratch using GZDoom Builder and SLADE? If so then how?

New GAME? Then people will expect a program for this specific game. Which means you would need C/C++ knowledge (that's what the Doom engine source code uses).
How to do this? Learn programming.

But if you're saying a new IWAD, then yes you can use Slade and GZDoom Builder.
How to do this? You make a WAD containing the correct lumps and information so that it can run its own. DeuTex is a better choice for making an IWAD, apparently.

Voros said:

You make a WAD containing the correct lumps and information so that it can run its own.

As a side-note, I recommend using the PK3 format when making a game for a modern Doom source-port.

Interesting. To be perfectly honest, I wasn't really planning on making a game on the Doom Engine. But it was actually a question that bugged me since the day I got SLADE.

So... How exactly do I use the PK3 format? And how will this game even run? (By game, I mean both an actual game and an IWAD)

look at either gzdoom-gpl or gloome (hasn't been updated in a long time), they're versions of gzdoom that have all proprietary stuff ripped out, allowing you to use them for your own games and distribute it commercially

Zulk-RS said:

Interesting. To be perfectly honest, I wasn't really planning on making a game on the Doom Engine. But it was actually a question that bugged me since the day I got SLADE.

So... How exactly do I use the PK3 format? And how will this game even run? (By game, I mean both an actual game and an IWAD)

PK3 is just a ZIP file with a different name, and a specified number of directories. See: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Using_ZIPs_as_WAD_replacement

Basically, it not only allows you to structure your game resources more efficiently, but it is superior to WAD in almost every way.

If you were to make a game using a PK3, the PK3 would be the IWAD.

Zulk-RS said:

Well, PK3 are much better, but that would mean it would be limited to ZDoom based ports.

How will it run? With the help of various DECORATE files, MAPINFO, SNDINFO, GLDEFS(optional), LOADACS(optional), LANGUAGE, etc and various folders containing various assets. why don't you download an IPK3, such as The Adventures of Square, and check out what it looks like inside the PK3?

Voros said:

why don't you download an IPK3, such as The Adventures of Square, and check out what it looks like inside the PK3?

I second this. I learned / am still learning a lot just by browsing through other people's IWADs and PK3s to see what makes them tick. :)