Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kb1

What speed is considered laggy in internet multiplayer?

For those that have played extensive Internet Doom, what ping times in milliseconds, are considered to be good, decent, laggy, and downright unplayable? In o0ther words, if you had , say, a 150 ms. ping time, would you consider that a good playable lag time?

EDIT: I'm asking because I'm considering working on some player movement prediction stuff. Prediction can cause some strange anomalies, so it's best to minimize the use of it until it's really needed. I'm wondering what 'feels' laggy to everyone. 35 fps ~= 28 milliseconds, so that is the perfect ping time, but good luck getting a ping that low! Now, if movement was checked every other frame, that's 56 milliseconds, and may not even be noticeable to players.

So, what feels laggy to you?

It depends. You'll tolerate 150 a lot more in casual, public stuff but if you get into more rigorous competitive play where milliseconds count the slight difference will frustrate you more. Some people complain about ping even in the double digits so your mileage may vary.

please dont complain about your ping in a server nobody will care just saiyan

All relative. It really depends a lot on what gamemode are you playing and also what you're used to.

In gamemodes where you play against other players (deathmatch, CTF, etc.) higher ping is a lot more of a problem than in coop/survival.

I have the luck that the most popular servers on ZDaemon are in nearby countries so I'm used to playing with ping <40 and when I play on a server with ping over 70 it's a noticeable problem for me :P

Some people can handle ping around 150 no problem as they're used to it. And then there's Ancalagon who can play with ping around 300 better than vast majority of the players with much lower pings...

From your edit it seems you are looking for a perspective of someone playing against other players but since I have already typed this out here is my perspective of a low pinger for coop/survival:

< ~50 - very good ping, not a big difference than playing in singleplayer
~50 - ~100 - you start noticing the delay and have to adjust your gameplay to it
~100 - ~150 - frustrating and close to unplayable if you're not used to it
~150 - ~400 - ragequit worthy for a low pinger, pretty much unplayable. It is possible to adjust to it with time and quite a few players from Australia and other areas remote from European servers are able to play quite well even with pings over 300. There is a guy (from Chile, I think) who's able to play deathmatch with pings around 250 better than most of the rest in a server full of players with pings <150.
Anything over that is probably in the realm of unplayable unless you're really a clinically confirmed masochist.

Depends on the port and the server, tbh. If the server sucks, you will be frustrated playing for sure. Last time I checked, ZD doesn't implement unlagged or just pretends to, odamex and zandronum both have good unlagged support, or at least far superior to ZD. European players in zan regularly play in NJ funcrusher on zan with 120-160 ping with no problem, and some south americans do well with 180 in the same server. Americans playing in GV (UK) or DE Funcrusher do fine with 150-200 ping. Generally speaking, zan is quite comfortable for anyone under 100, moderately comfortable up to 150, and above is what you're able to tolerate (Doomkid does very well with 180-200).

The most solidly playable ping I can ever really get is ~180 when connecting to west coast servers. No one plays in AU deathmatch servers, but over 250 it just gets to what I'd consider unplayable. There's a visible delay between firing the rocket and seeing it come out, for example.

Some people get in there and do really well with a ping of 300, I'll never understand that, the delay is huge!

I'd say:
< 50: Unnoticeable.
50-100: You can notice it but you are a lady if you complain.
100-200: Playable, yet it makes a difference in competitive games.
200-300: If you are used to it you can get away with it in non competitive games.
300-400: Don't try pvp with this, it's still possible to play coop/surv, but against players the difference is just too big, everyone else can react 300ms faster than you.
> 400: Masochist. It's only possible to have a ping this high if you are doing other stuff with your connection anyway.