Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fanatic

Custom music for multiple engines

Hey everyone, I finished up 17 tracks of new music for good old DOOM/DOOM2, and I was hoping to make one WAD with something to allow the songs to work with either game engine.

I'm testing with Slade to import my MP3s into a new WAD, but the scripting I've been able to find isn't very detailed with examples.

Since I don't have 32 songs, I'm aiming to assign the songs I think fit the map, using some more than once. I also can't find notes on replacing the intro and inter tracks.

But basically I'm trying to avoid making 2 WADs with the same music, but with the original MUS names. One WAD with 17 tracks (15 for maps, intro and inter music), and use scripting that at least works with zdoom. I realize not every engine can use mp3, or possibly support custom music names, but if someone could give me some help, I'd really appreciate it.

I put the songs individually on soundcloud for free download as well, for use in whatever way you'd like to use them (for reference).

https://soundcloud.com/marcpullen/sets/marc-a-pullen-doomed

Thanks! The only midi in it is the drums, and it's a custom sound font and mapping (not genmidi). Rest are live guitars/bass.

EDGE (now 3DGE) abandoned MP3 a long time ago, and now only supports Ogg Vorbis -- but if you still remember how to edit PLAYLIST.DDF, it should be like riding a bike ;)

In addition to the 3DGE case, covered above, for most advanced ports you'll have to use a dialect of MAPINFO. In Legacy you can use the map header script (like 1 Monster MAP11 does). When you edit levels you can use MUSINFO.

Or you can go for the big guns and use dehacked to change the names of the song lumps the engine looks for. Plutonia 2 did that if you need a reference. This should be compatible with nearly every engine out there.

Following up, I found on the zdoom side a good solution. Basically used SNDINFO and remapped the named tracks to mine, works great, and it should work with most IWADs.

SNDINFO only works in ZDoom, GZDoom and Zandronum. (And in Hexen, but Hexen's SNDINFO is simpler than ZDoom's.)

That's good enough for me. :)

If anyone wants it in something else, I'm happy to update or help with a different script.

I uploaded it to /newstuff, hope everyone likes it!