Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Can't get zandronum looking the same as gzdoom

A lot of the display options are missing in zandronum. Note how the message text is larger, and not smoothed (despite me having hq4x on):

Zandronum's really out of date in terms of the current version of ZDoom and, yes, GZDoom, but in addition to that it, iirc, uses a dated version of GZDoom's renderer due to, I think, an incompatible license with the new one? Or maybe it's just because the new one is known to not work on quite a few graphics cards, I don't quite remember.

As Arctangent said, Zandronum's GzDoom render I think is out of date, but I mean did you honestly expect to replicate a more advanced port with a less advanced one?

Arctangent said:

Zandronum's really out of date in terms of the current version of ZDoom and, yes, GZDoom, but in addition to that it, iirc, uses a dated version of GZDoom's renderer due to, I think, an incompatible license with the new one?

Zandronum has been in the clear since it was open sourced. It's simply that it's using the version of GZDoom that was concurrent with ZDoom 2.5, which is 6 years old.

I use one of the 3.0 test builds and it looks just as good as GZDoom and handles dynamic lights much better on my system. If you're using the stable build, then yes, the features are a lot more limited.

If i were to use Zandronum at all, I'd wait for Zandronum 4.0, when openal and the arm fixes from ZDoom 2.8.x will be fully implemented. Who knows, when Zandronum 4.0 comes out maybe D-Touch will add it as a port.