Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

So let's have a word about the pinky demons...

I feel that Id seriously needs to tweak the pinky demon. The decisions to make him immune from damage from the front was terrible and makes him borderline broken. This wasn't THAT big of a problem in SP because there you can use certain weapons like the stunbomb mod to counter him, but when playing snapmaps you often don't have access to such weapons/items. It's gotten so bad that I have seen entire snapmaps rendered completely unplayable for no other reason than that the snapmap author did not balance the map around being able to counter the pinkies (unless the author disabled the pinky armor).

I know that snapmap allows you to disable the pinky armor, but I feel that even the default pinky should have it's armor nerfed. I can already picture all of the "well people should just balance the maps properly then" replies, but while I don't disagree that maps should be balanced in the first place, understand that 90% of snapmaps are just being made by casual gamers who don't spend hours tweaking their maps just to get them 100% right, and it therefore makes no sense for it to be possible to make a monster that can single handedly make an entire map unplayable merely because the map author wasn't 100% careful in regards to map/weapon balance.

Anyone else share my sentiments?

WAIT you can choose the Snapmap pinkies to have armor or not????? I thought they didn't had the option to had armor on them at all!

Can someone show me how to give them armor!?!?! Cause all pinkies i've used/play in snapmap can be taken down with a charged burst shot of the shotty. FROM THE FRONT.

If someone just puts Pinkies in their map, leaves the armor on (I thought it was off by default, at least pre-patch it was) without testing it to tweak the difficulty then the fault is on the author. The Developers give you the option to turn it on or off which is the best path to take.

Single-player wise - no way I love the Pinkies armor. I feel lots of Doom 2016's gameplay, while epic, is samey samey. The Pinky actually forces the player to react in a particular way and adds some dynamics to the combat zone. Besides, they are rather easy to dodge and a double barrel blast makes short work of them.

Chezza said:

If someone just puts Pinkies in their map, leaves the armor on (I thought it was off by default, at least pre-patch it was) without testing it to tweak the difficulty then the fault is on the author.

Agreed, but the thing is that the "developers" you mention would be 90% of all snapmap authors. Snapmap isn't a conventional mod tool, so it should not assume that most of it's users are serious map makers. The game should be designed in such a way that even if someone just casually throws a map together it's not going to be completely broken just because it's not 100% balanced. Right now I would say that something like 75% of snapmaps are borderline unplayable because there is often so little regard for game balance.

Now I understand that this was kinda to be predicted. It speaks for itself that by allowing everyone to casually create and upload maps that most maps would be shit (overuse of lockdowns and wave events would be a great example of the typical shitty snapmap), but I still think it's crazy that simply by casually throwing in a few armored pinkies without regards to balance that the author can actually fuck up his whole map.

Nearly all the maps i've played from this forum are pretty legitimate good stuff. DMGUYZ and myself got some maps that took some finesse and constant testing to make enemy place work, balance, and all-n-all, fun! Cyber hell is one best example of this!

ALSO THERE AINT NO OPTION TO GIVE PINKIES ARMOR. So i don't even know where you're fighting armored pinkies besides in singleplayer. All pinkies ive come acrossed in Snapmap have no armor, and thus are just as easy to kill as the pinkies of the old doom days!

Potatoguy said:

ALSO THERE AINT NO OPTION TO GIVE PINKIES ARMOR. So i don't even know where you're fighting armored pinkies besides in singleplayer. All pinkies ive come acrossed in Snapmap have no armor, and thus are just as easy to kill as the pinkies of the old doom days!

No way, I clearly remember there being an option and have fought many super tough pinkies in snapmaps.

That's probably because of a health buff they gave them. I've face Pinkies that took 3 BFG shots to drop their health to half. But the weakness to the face is still viable, cause there's no armor to it.

You probably fought those Pinkies: the ones with 350% Health or something similar.

Nah nah no no no. The pinkys have armor in the campaign. Ultra violent mode alone proves this. It just sounds like whatever snapmap you are playing has them buffed. The monster qualities are the same across the board from campaign to snapmap.

Yup pretty sure you can't turn their armour on, not afak

I like that you can kill them from the front easier (with default health modifer ofc) on snapmap, makes sense from a design perspective if one was to fill a whole room full of pinkies