Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Empyre

TX_START and TX_END texture problems, RESOLVED unhappily

I am trying to convert cc4-tex.wad to use the TX_START and TX_END method instead of the older PNAMES and TEXTURES1 method. My maps are in Doom-in-Hexen format, so it doesn't matter that this method doesn't work on many ports. I used the latest official version of Slade 3 to convert the textures to Doom Graphic paletted. It works flawlessly in ZDoom, GZDoom and Zandronum, but in ZDaemon, some custom textures work but some don't. I don't know why. I thought "Maybe ZDaemon doesn't like a texture and doesn't load any after that one.", but I tested that theory, and there is no such pattern. Then I thought "Maybe it is the textures that were originally made of more than 1 patch that don't work.", but I observed that some of the textures that do work were indeed made from more than 1 patch before conversion. There seems to be no rhyme or reason behind which ones work and which ones don't.

Here is the texture pack I "made": cc4-tex2_b1.zip, and a test wad to show the problem: cc4-tex-test_v1.zip, and the original texture pack in case you don't already have it: cc4.tex.zip. The test wad shows the first 256 flats (no problems there) and the first 258 textures (plus a few more because of animated textures).

The original works fine, but it steps on the toes of other wads that also load textures that way. I would like to be able to load my maps wad with other maps, and still have it work in ZDaemon.

Can somebody please help me figure out the problem?

This wiki page suggests that ZDaemon doesn't support TX_START and TX_END markers at all (it's not listed among the ports implementing them), therefore it won't even know that your textures are in the wad, let alone using them as wall textures. The textures that do work in your test wad are actually just stock textures from Doom 2.

You are right. I hadn't cleared my maps wad from loading, so the textures that were working were the ones in my wad.

This isn't what I wanted the answer to be, but now that I know, I'll just abandon the idea loading my maps with other maps. I think I have enough of them now to do that. With that in mind, I can rename them from EMPxx back to MAPxx. I think I'll still use non-standard song names, like D_MAPxx. to make it easier to figure out what song goes with which map.

When I run your test wad with the texture pack, only stock Doom 2 walltextures work, the rest appear as ASHWALLs. Custom flats between F_ markers, however, do work properly.

Empyre said:

I think I'll still use non-standard song names, like D_MAPxx. to make it easier to figure out what song goes with which map.

This is really the best way to do it IMO. I wish vanilla Doom II had done it this way. They did it for The Ultimate Doom... :S

Empyre said:

This isn't what I wanted the answer to be, but now that I know, I'll just abandon the idea loading my maps with other maps.

What do TX markers have to do with "loading maps with other maps"?

scifista42 said:

What do TX markers have to do with "loading maps with other maps"?

I tried loading my maps with custom textures with other maps that also had custom textures. That didn't work well. Using TX markers would have avoided that problem unless they had a custom texture with the same name as one I am using.

You could open the other wad's TEXTURE1, copy its custom contents and paste them into your wad's TEXTURE1. SLADE3 would copy patch graphics and create their PNAMES entries automatically. But in fact, you could delete those patch graphics, keeping just the TEXTURE1 and PNAMES entries, as long as you intended to launch your wad with the other wad together. This is a way to make wads with different custom textures compatible, even in ports that don't support cumulative TEXTURE1s.