Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bloodshot

The Demon Within - HL1/campaign-inspired snapmap

VLCJ7V67

SP or coop for 1-4 players, i tried to make a map that has the feel of half-life/doom 3 where things happen in the base as you progress

Screens:

I really liked the beginning bits with the Doom 3-esque GUIs and being able to open the window shutters. I didn't know you could do that in Snapmap.

Really great map, I too didn't know you could operate the shuters and you've done some really unquie technquies like with the elevator which felt pretty awesome

Though I played it again with a friend co-op and he didn't teleport like me after the elevator sequence and was literally just stuck in the elevator :(

Yeah co-op is broken at the moment. I added some co-op specific fixes but for some reason they only seem to work half the time, so i have to go in and fix them.

EDIT: I updated it, hopefully should be okay now

I didn't vote anything down but my friend might of

Btw there's something wrong with the spawners, we got to a point in your map where the enemies weren't spawning in and we were stuck

This. This... This map was... wow.

• Gameplay: 4/5 – Great entertainment! This map had some awesome atmosphere that builds up to the big hell areas! First nothing, then spewing rockets and lead in demonic chaos! Very Nice!
  • Difficulty: 4/5 – It is hard. And it’s the hard that can be done. No “HEY. Lets put 2 fucking security in a closet!” type of encounter. It’s genuine, thought out battle that I could see be done in the campaign mode itself!
  • Map Design: 5/5 – GLORIOUS. Props make every room feel anew, and secrets and ammo placement are well thought out the map. You run out, but ammo is there, quite pleasantly placed! Good, good, GOOD STUFF! Sucks that it’s a bit linear.
  • Sound: 5/5 – SOUND EFFECTS. Very well done in this map! And it had good tracks changing during moments, areas, and fights! Nicely done!
  • Uniqueness: 4/5 – This is basically a “go to point A to B, and kill everything in the way” map. But it is so well done, and greatly imaginative, that I didn’t care! It was that good to ignore that it was another demon slaughterhouse! Heck, it’s a slaughter-parade!
  • Technicality: 4/5 – No bugs, thank god. There was some very clever use of hazards, and lives and checkpoints are great! It doesn’t do much new in the technical standpoint, but it doesn’t need to. It’s a map that’s bare-bone blood-filled action!
This is one of the best maps i've ever played. And i've been through a LOT of maps. Congratulation, Bloodshot. You're a damn good snapmapper.

Keep doing your stuff. Cause this showed me how DAMN GOOD snapmap can be. Very nice, memorable map that i'll play again for time to come.

bloodshot said:

Could you tell me what area of the map?

Can't remember, sorry.. But IIRC it happened right before the 1st major wave, as soon as the combat varient a/b music started

I'd have to replay the level again to try and find what area the bug occurs, I'm also not sure if the bug only occurs co-op or SP as well, and trying to get someone else to test the map with me isn't easy :(

Are you on PC? Could always hit me up on steam and we'll do a run-through together

Fun map, as far as I got. When I picked up the blue skull (big module with a skybox above it) I got locked in but no demons spawned. I had killed every demon on the way (to my knowledge) so it's not even that. So yeah, action music was playing and I was locked in a big module (both doors would open but have the lockdown effect in them) with nobody to fight, couldn't find a button or anything like that either.

EDIT: Just re-read some posts here. This might be what the other guy was talking about.

The opening UAC sequence had nice atmosphere-setting sound and visuals (btw, the opening of the window shutters was a nice sleight of hand, done with debris pasted on to the window). But the Hell sequence a little less so. I played single player but saw very few demons. I looked at it in the editor and noticed that some of the spawns didn't occur.

Great stuff. Only got halfway through when my internet connection disconnected and kicked me from a solo-session.. (why on earth have they made it this way?!? beyond lazy)

I'll try it again later on.

symmetron said:

Fun map, as far as I got. When I picked up the blue skull (big module with a skybox above it) I got locked in but no demons spawned.

Same thing happened to me in single-player. I also stopped seeing any spawning much earlier.

Potatoguy said:

Technicality: 4/5 – No bugs, thank god.

Maybe the mapmaker change something since then? Because there seemed to be quite a few spawning errors.

To the OP, please fix these. This seems like a good map and I want to experience the gameplay as it was designed.

DoomPhreak said:

Same thing happened to me in single-player. I also stopped seeing any spawning much earlier.

Maybe the mapmaker change something since then? Because there seemed to be quite a few spawning errors.

To the OP, please fix these. This seems like a good map and I want to experience the gameplay as it was designed.

Ya the maps defintely got some game-breaking bugs, I've also had trouble with demons not spawning in when meant to

If I had to take a guess, I'm thinking some of the hand placed enemies haven't be set to auto show/hide and that's why waves aren't spawning in when they're meant to