Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zakkusy

Hell 'N Wires - A Doom 1 inspired 5-map miniepisode [Release]

...(I probably typo'ed the title, oh well)

Hello, wonderful people of Doomworld! First of all, I admit being a complete first timer here, but hopefully this will now change!

To the point: This 5 map package has been in the works for 3 months now, by me and Tranzzi. It's been a learning experience, going from a newbie to making decently balanced maps with detail. We both had to remake our first maps that were originally intended for the episode just for quality reasons. So yes, this is our FIRST episode and technically our first 5 maps!

But before you run away disgusted (I'm joking), take a look at the screenshots and perhaps consider checking this out :)!

Everything is made with vanilla resources, no new custom music or textures. Scripting has been used though, on a few maps.
That said, this WAD is best played with GZDoom/Zdoom, it doesn't run on a completely vanilla/chocolate Doom, sadly!

The maps are SINGLE PLAYER ONLY! Co-op support hasn't been added, and doubt we'll add anything more than player starts. We don't see how these would be more enjoyable with more than 1 player.
Maps use the DOOM2.wad so it's for Doom 2. (Duh)

The WAD was created with DoomBuilder 2, with MAPINFO and scripts edited in post with Slade 3.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q2kcw7og9ei3ucc/HELLWIRE_v1.1.rar?dl=0

Recent changes:

v.1.1

ALL MAPS
-Fixed multiple instances of texture alignment errors across all maps

MAP02
-Minor lighting & texture adjustments
-Changed a switch to keep a door open permanently

MAP03
-Changed green armor platform to prevent needless backtracking
-Replaced some Barons with other monsters
-Minor texture and sector adjustments
-Placed a platform to remove an inescapable pit
-Moved the HEV suit

MAP04
-Removed an annoying switch
-Removed unnecessary monster blocking
-Moved the 'imp cage' switch to a more convinient place

MAP05
-Revamped map progression
--Removed Red Keycard. Appropriate door is now a normal door
--Relocated the Yellow Keycard. It is now used to access the Demon Portal
---Removed Yellow Card requirement from the door in the starting area
--Upper wall area is now accessible at all times.
--Removed multiple progression 'blockers'
--Removed needless backtracking
--Added a teleporter
--'Water plant' is now accessible with a Blue Keycard
-Added a new secret
-Removed an unfair Archvile placement
-Made lift in the Library more obvious to spot
-Prevented players getting stuck in the Library
-Fixed another HOM issue
-Minor monster balance changes
-Placed a few monster block linedefs in appropriate places
-Removed an annoying door near the lava lift
-Minor ammo adjustments

Some screenies:
MAP01 - The Bridge

MAP02 - Waste Storage

MAP03 - Excavation

MAP04 - Rotten in the Deep

MAP05 - City of the Broken

The maps go from a techno theme to a more ancient ruins/hell theme by the end.
I guess that's all I can say for now, please enjoy!

Feedback and constructive criticism is welcome! I'll be handling the possible bug fixes for the WAD. There shouldn't be any game breaking bugs, mostly cosmetic. We've done numerous bug test runs.

MAP 01 & MAP02: Designed by Tranzzi
MAPS 03, 04 and 05: Designed by Zakkusy

I had a go at this, playing on UV continuous, here's a demo I recorded (zdoom 2.7.1)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/kfr3l3zkonkzcet/hellwire_mouldy.lmp

This is quite ambitious for a first wad, and its pretty good as well. The design is a bit chaotic but I kind of like that. My only gripe about the visuals is some dodgy texture alignment I noticed early on, when a texture is representing an object such as a computer panel and has edges, I'd recommend not cutting them off or wrapping them around corners.

There were sky HOMs everywhere when I played, not sure what you've been testing it in but try it in zdoom software mode.

Map01 I got all the way to the end without saving and then died in an inescapable pit, very annoying. Try not to have inescapable pits because most players will hate that. Other than that I had a great time.

If anyone is looking for a not so difficult classic style wad then check this out, but play in gzdoom to avoid the HOMs.

mouldy said:

I had a go at this, playing on UV continuous, here's a demo I recorded (zdoom 2.7.1)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/kfr3l3zkonkzcet/hellwire_mouldy.lmp

This is quite ambitious for a first wad, and its pretty good as well. The design is a bit chaotic but I kind of like that. My only gripe about the visuals is some dodgy texture alignment I noticed early on, when a texture is representing an object such as a computer panel and has edges, I'd recommend not cutting them off or wrapping them around corners.

There were sky HOMs everywhere when I played, not sure what you've been testing it in but try it in zdoom software mode.

Map01 I got all the way to the end without saving and then died in an inescapable pit, very annoying. Try not to have inescapable pits because most players will hate that. Other than that I had a great time.

If anyone is looking for a not so difficult classic style wad then check this out, but play in gzdoom to avoid the HOMs.

Thank you for the kind words and feedback!

The first few maps indeed show the learning progress we had pretty blatantly with easy mistakes like that. I'll insert a teleporter in the inescapable pit and fix the texture alignment issues in the next version, as in soon!

The HOM might be due to using two different sky textures in the MAPINFO (SKY2 for maps 01 and 02, SKY1 for later maps) so I'll revert back to using a single SKY, that'll probably fix it.

Thanks again, we aimed for a classic style design and hopefully succeeded in it!

https://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/v/82495814 = my playthrough of all 5 maps. (UV, continuous)

3 out of 5 from me in total, I liked what I saw for the most part.

Map 05 was the highlight for me, and it reminded me a bit of tooooasty's map 08/29 from the JCP at times. I just enjoyed the chaotic messy hellmap feel of the thing, and I'd like to see more maps like this in the future (done right, of course).

There was some slight confusion in both maps 4 and 5, but nothing too annoying. (helps to have both mappers in twitch chat helping out at almost the exact same time mind you!) A few texture misalignments (particularly on map 01/02) and a few bugs I managed to find on map 5, but otherwise the gameplay was good and I liked the consistent texture varation amidst the vanilla texture usage.

I look forward to seeing bigger and better things from these 2 mappers in the future.....

Suitepee said:

https://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/v/82495814 = my playthrough of all 5 maps. (UV, continuous)

3 out of 5 from me in total, I liked what I saw for the most part.

Map 05 was the highlight for me, and it reminded me a bit of tooooasty's map 08/29 from the JCP at times. I just enjoyed the chaotic messy hellmap feel of the thing, and I'd like to see more maps like this in the future (done right, of course).

There was some slight confusion in both maps 4 and 5, but nothing too annoying. (helps to have both mappers in twitch chat helping out at almost the exact same time mind you!) A few texture misalignments (particularly on map 01/02) and a few bugs I managed to find on map 5, but otherwise the gameplay was good and I liked the consistent texture varation amidst the vanilla texture usage.

I look forward to seeing bigger and better things from these 2 mappers in the future.....

Thanks again for playing the WAD on stream. We got a lot of important feedback and that truly helps us to improve in the future. And good job for spotting some minor bugs, we'll fix them right away.