Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Some footage of the scrapped version

Nice. I was just getting ready to post this.

Although to clarify, this isn't actually the scrapped version but a prototype of Doom 2016 using the scrapped version's assets.

Eew, too slow, It didn't look that bad actually, Just the player movement could be faster .

Maybe they should have removed the cutscenes too .

Wow, that's interesting. I've been super curious about the story behind this game's development from the moment it was revealed. They've probably got tons more information in the full panel archived on Bethesda's Twitch channel. I'm going to give it a watch, maybe even download the VODs for the sake of archiving, and I advise that anyone else with similar interests do so as well.

A few things I gleaned from it:

•The Glory Kills were one of the oldest concepts created for the game.
•At one point Samuel Hayden was a human and not a robit, and would feed the player tutorial information.
•Marty Stratton mentions Doom 64 by name when discussing how one of their level designers listened to Doom music and watched videos of Doom levels while working.
•Foundry was one of the oldest levels conceptualized and created, and continued to be revised throughout development, becoming progressively more nonlinear.
•Gore Nests were a late addition to the game.
•At one point the BFG had weapon mods.
•The Cyberdemon did in fact have a standard enemy version, as seen in promotional screenshots, that was cut mostly in part from difficulties caused by him being too big (pulling a Ridley).
•Hugo Martin admits to the team having been heavily influenced by games like Devil May Cry and Bayonetta.

The panel for some reason was split across multiple, 30-minute streams for some weird reason, so here's all the parts in question for your viewing pleasure:

https://www.twitch.tv/bethesda/v/82131729
https://www.twitch.tv/bethesda/v/82135695
https://www.twitch.tv/bethesda/v/82139751
https://www.twitch.tv/bethesda/v/82144251

Wild Dog said:

The first level you see is part of the scrapped version, at least that's what they said.

No, that's not what they said. What they said directly contradicts that.

Prototype using some of scraped version assets. As I understand foundry was actually part of scraped version since Marty said they were trying to figure out how to fit it within mars setting. Very nice of them to share the dev proccess of Doom))

Stapler said:

No, that's not what they said. What they said directly contradicts that.

Go to 0:20, they said it clear, they were using some assest from the Previous version. Now look at the first video they show, it's a city, look at the rifle with scope and take a look at the rifles from the trailer of the canned Doom 4.
So what they are showing at the first part of the video is mostly canned Doom 4 stuff. After they show us foundry is when we see stuff from Doom 2016 at their early stage.

Is this the ultra secret one that only approved members of the press were allowed to see? Before Doom 2016 was officially revealed publicly?

Wild Dog said:

they literally said it was an animation concept for the game. it isn't the scrapped version.
EDIT: they say this in the full stream. oops.

"Heavily influenced by games like Devil May Cry and Bayonetta.", That's just what i felt TBH, The game felt like a "Beat 'em up" that requires killing all enemies before moving to next areas, Sometimes there were few enemies left over but still .

Interesting to see how the game changed over the course of its development. Wasn't too fond of the city area, really.

I just hope the next Doom game takes place on Earth! Sci-fi Earth of course. I want it to be dark too! Keep that amazing gunplay formula of 2016 Doom but make the atmosphere way more darker and grittier.

I kind of hope they don't make a Hell on Earth. One reason Doom 2016 works is because the level design is fairly abstract / not dependent on "realistic" spaces. You can get away with that for a techno Mars base or for Hell, but if you set your game on Earth it gets a lot harder to get away with.

Linguica said:

I kind of hope they don't make a Hell on Earth. One reason Doom 2016 works is because the level design is fairly abstract / not dependent on "realistic" spaces. You can get away with that for a techno Mars base or for Hell, but if you set your game on Earth it gets a lot harder to get away with.

Not necessarily, you could have buildings falling over and hell corruption leaking into earth to lead into some abstract designs. Earth could also be in the style of cyperpunk (think prey2) so they could get away with doing cool unrealistic spaces.

Oh yeah, we totally need another techbase on a dead planet for the third time in a row. I'd do anything for a DOOM5 set on Earth.

BluePineapple72 said:

Not necessarily, you could have buildings falling over and hell corruption leaking into earth to lead into some abstract designs.

You should play The Evil Within then. It runs on idtech5 and the last... third? of the game is in a ruined city with hellish corruption. The level design is also not particularly memorable.

Linguica said:

I don't see why that is, why must Mars look so technologically advanced but not the Earth? If they have this kind of technology available for Mars, then isn't it plausible that they'd have the exact same kind of sci-fi tech on their own home planet? Just make it a futuristic city with some Hellish reality warping and you'll have the perfect excuse to make completely abstract environments that barely resemble anything realistic. Besides, Doom II itself was pretty abstract.

OK, but if you make the levels "completely abstract environments that barely resemble anything realistic" then why even bother setting it on Earth? What does that bring to the game?

Linguica said:

You should play The Evil Within then. It runs on idtech5 and the last... third? of the game is in a ruined city with hellish corruption. The level design is also not particularly memorable.

Oh yes. The city sections looked horrible in TEW. They sucked and kind of ruined the whole game for me. Still it can be done. I'm not saying next Doom should have an open world. But a couple of open city sections would be nice. (Something similar to Resistance 1) Imagine: You battle a couple of waves of teleporting in enemies, you kick their ass and then demons just start to tear through asphalt. Eventually the ground crumbles and you fall in to the sewers infested by zombies or something like that. And there you have your change of pace. An open area transitioning to tight corridors. Of course I would still prefer 77% of the game to take place inside of buildings and military bases. But open areas can really provide some verticality. Enemies can spawn on the balconies that you can reach and jump from, you can get to roofs, enemies can jump through windows and stuff. .I don't know :D But Earth should be really militarized, dirty and gloomy. Oh and I don't want any transitions between hell and Earth. Turn Earth into hell.

I do not see the logic in comparing a game from a completely different genre made by completely different developers from a completely different country with completely different design philosophies to Doom 4. Doom 4 was made up of abstract layouts anyways, it was all the art department that made it seem like things made sense, a direct sequel set on Earth would be no different.

And to answer the question of what it would add: literally everything that is on Earth but not on Mars.

Linguica said:

Didn't really matter considering Hell wasn't very abstract in Doom 2016. Mostly straight paths that curved a little bit on the way to the endpoint. Certainly nothing like the the abstract level design of the original games.

And since they went for a mostly linear level design, I wish they would have left it on earth, and basically refined the formula they had with RAGE. That game, for all its shortcomings, had way more atmosphere and tension than the new Doom. A darker and more gruesome version of that, with refined combat, would have been much more satisfying for me.

Linguica said:

Surprisingly I kind of agree with you. I loved the Mars setting and Hell areas within the game.